Sam Smith's

The owner of the company is a stubborn eccentric, and his word is law. He also visits Sam Smiths pubs unannounced and occasionally lays down the law on the spot.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Banned people from swearing in their pubs.

Banned bikers from the Royal Oak in Ulley, Rovrum.

At a time when pubs are towing to make owt of a living, is this wise?

Would it be an accurate guess to suggest you might be a bit of a sweary biker?

:huh:

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I posted about Sam Smiths in "Beer and Pubs" the other day.  The man is not eccentric, IMO he has delusions of grandeur.  When the bridge in Tad was swept away in early 2016, he refused to make available land for a temporary bridge, thus meaning the town was divided in half.  The only way from one half to the other was via the A64 York trunk road, which meant a journey of possibly 5 miles

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

You been to the white house in Fev or the feightin cock in Rawmarsh????

The white house under the stewardship of Charlie Raybould was very much for la creme de la creme of Featherstone . It even had a roulette table.

I like a pint of Sam's. You don't get much of it here.

Im not sure how you enforce the swearing thing in pubs. Listen to every conversation? Making sure you don't say "Give us an effing pint please luv" to the barmaid, unacceptable surely in most places, including the White House.

For the record, Ive not heard Robin swear. He was dragged up proper.

13 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

The white house under the stewardship of Charlie Raybould was very much for la creme de la creme of Featherstone . It even had a roulette table.

Just to save anyone from outside the town typing it, yes. The creme de la creme of Featherstone can still be as rough as you like. Charlie stood for no nonsense neither.

36 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Just to save anyone from outside the town typing it, yes. The creme de la creme of Featherstone can still be as rough as you like. Charlie stood for no nonsense neither.

I was there the night someone crashed an Austin allegro into the wall knocking the tv off its bracket while floodlit rugby league was on. Charlie immaculately attired in kray twins style tuxedo remained unchanged moved throughout

I'd  like to see him pay a visit to his pub The Duncan on Boar Lane in Leeds. It's like something by hieronymous  Bosch crossed with the last picture in the rake's progress. But the range of Sam Smiths bottled beer is a joy to behold. And a delight to sup. the draught beer is sh ite though. 

19 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Their lager 'Aingerbrau' used to be proper loony soup before they watered it down a bit. It used to be about 7% or something, you got proper hammered on a few pints.

Urgh, yes I have bad memories of that involving a sunny day on the 'Brau after end of exams, the river derwent, luminous puke and some concerned firemen

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:16 PM, Tongs ya bas said:

Didn't it used to be called "The Rainbow Club" in Charlie's day?

3 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Didn't it used to be called "The Rainbow Club" in Charlie's day?

i remember something like that. but it had always been called the Whitehouse from when it was the home of the Maxwell family. He then changed the name officially to the white house, and his adverts for the gaff called it that in the Featherstone Rovers programme called it that: 'no tank beer sold here' was the big selling point in the ads. You could get a great steak sandwich in Charlie's.

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:51 PM, Tongs ya bas said:

I'd  like to see him pay a visit to his pub The Duncan on Boar Lane in Leeds. It's like something by hieronymous  Bosch crossed with the last picture in the rake's progress. But the range of Sam Smiths bottled beer is a joy to behold. And a delight to sup. the draught beer is sh ite though. 

yes- the Duncan- well where to start? theres a couple of others in leeds city centre general Elliot another swanky establishment where swearing is akin to breathing

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

yes- the Duncan- well where to start? theres a couple of others in leeds city centre general Elliot another swanky establishment where swearing is akin to breathing

the horse and trumpet springs to mind

Archived