New Teams 2018

47 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Wise choice on the dual reg players.

How many times did the vote to move to summer go in front of the clubs before it was voted in favour

Twice from memory. First time was a draw, so they had a second vote which ended 28-10 in favour of summer. In the end only West Bowling decided not to switch to the summer, and they have of course since changed their mind

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bowes said:

Twice from memory. First time was a draw, so they had a second vote which ended 28-10 in favour of summer. In the end only West Bowling decided not to switch to the summer, and they have of course since changed their mind

Think the vote changed to 28-10 when free travel was mentioned and trust me there was a lot of other incentives and back slapping

Well, there is a Clubs meeting next week and, I imagine, all will be revealed.  So us member clubs won't have to wait long.  ( It amuses me that the ones who are in the "know" aren't even part of the NCL.   So much to say, and nothing to do) :onthequiet:

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, Mr Partridge said:

Wouldn't mind betting that Leigh East avoid the drop to Division Three 

If Leigh East avoid the drop to Division Three it will because of the re-structuring of the divisions because Clubs have dropped out.  Leigh East have no control of that, it will be decided no doubt by the NCL Committee.    Leigh East didn't complain too much when they were double relegated a couple of years ago - so if they get to stay up, well good on 'em!

36 minutes ago, BARRETT said:

Well, there is a Clubs meeting next week and, I imagine, all will be revealed.  So us member clubs won't have to wait long.  ( It amuses me that the ones who are in the "know" aren't even part of the NCL.   So much to say, and nothing to do) :onthequiet:

???

13 hours ago, Defender1 said:

Think the vote changed to 28-10 when free travel was mentioned and trust me there was a lot of other incentives and back slapping

I can't honestly remember the other incentives, and sadly we were never offered 'free travel' (if only!).  

6 hours ago, BARRETT said:

I can't honestly remember the other incentives, and sadly we were never offered 'free travel' (if only!).  

£1,000.00 towards travel, I think it lasted maybe one or two seasons, the vote was swayed:rtfm: by the benefits of playing in the summer.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

£1,000.00 towards travel, I think it lasted maybe one or two seasons, the vote was swayed:rtfm: by the benefits of playing in the summer.

It wasn't an exact figure it was in relation to how many miles you travelled, so teams who travelled more were entitled to a bigger grant

That money went down as more clubs entered, and some central funding is being withdrawn. There is still a travel grant issued, it was interesting that the league withheld this from clubs who dropped out the league 

The new Arnold Clark sponsorship has secured some money to offset this so travel grant will still be in effect for the next three years

Extract from Minutes from April 2017 Meeting, NCL management got the Arnold Clark deal to offset this loss due to Sport England cuts  

4. Sport England Grant / Commercial Opportunities

Sarah Jane Grey explained her role at the RFL and briefly her past experience with other sporting bodies. It was explained that the Sport England bid was for a 4 year cycle and that there is less money available now than in the past with all sports being cut.

The RFL‘s bid for Sport England money was £11 million, it actually was awarded £10.75 million which funds Development and Talent. This money is for a 4 year period. Around £6.8 million is for development and £3.95 million for Talent. The development money pays for personnel that support the game, finals, competitions right across the whole of the game. £1.2 million is received from Skytry for the 26 RL Foundations.

It was explained by the Chair that the travel grant would be paid this season in full, and reminded all clubs that should they not complete their full fixtures in the NCL then the travel grant due to be paid in July would be repaid in full. From next season the grant would be cut and this would continue for the next 3 years. Sarah Jane explained that the RFL relied heavily on the subsidies handed out by Sport England to run the RFL, and that both the RFL and the NCL management would be looking at ways of getting Commercial Opportunities’ to support the short fall in the forthcoming years.

Mike Denning ( Club Rep) mentioned that the NCL clubs were heavily investing in their youth and junior teams and set ups to enhance their clubs, but the recent additions to the professional game in League 1 

were not actually developing anything, and that the money allocated to them at around £70k was more that was allocated to the 50 clubs in the NCL. Sarah Jane explained that the money paid to the professional clubs was from a separate pot to the community game.

21 hours ago, Defender1 said:

There was an amount of money given towards the cost of buses trust me if you are not aware and on the committee I would be speaking to the treasurer 

'an amount of money given towards the cost of buses' isn't quite the same as 'free travel'.   The  amount of travel funding that was given to NCL clubs was based on the mileage that each club had to cover to fulfil their travel obligations for the division they were in.  Consequently, many clubs received a far smaller amount than others - quite rightly, as clubs in Cumbria for example travelled far more miles than some other clubs.    The travel grant was apportioned fairly, when each club was given a specific amount 'per mile' and it would be fair to say that the grant each club received didn't actually cover the cost of two buses.  Hardly 'free travel'.

The travel incentive is reducing year on year due to the cuts when in the main NCL clubs do the most in terms of development, most of our clubs fund raising is to pay for 1st team travel, junior teams have to be self sustainable A League 2 club gets more per year than the NCL travel budget for bringing what to the game??? And Nigel Wood with his pension gets more again sorry something isn't right

Well with the news today that there are possibly two or maybe three clubs being set up in Canada/USA and they will no doubt be welcomed with all kinds of incentives from the RFL there will be nothing in the pot for the NCL clubs travel costs.

Even the League one and the Championship clubs are likely to be thrown to the wolves to welcome the American invasion (with teams full of over the hill Australians looking for another gravy train).

Its another nail in the coffin of the NCL clubs. A league that the RFL could not give a toss about.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

I thought the Canadians where self funding ?

Maybe the North American expansion will give more UK based players the chance to earn a wage from the game .

Game needs a shake up in my opinion , maybe this is it .

Agree about the RFL not giving a toss about the amateur game .

48 minutes ago, henage said:

I thought the Canadians where self funding ?

Maybe the North American expansion will give more UK based players the chance to earn a wage from the game .

Game needs a shake up in my opinion , maybe this is it .

Agree about the RFL not giving a toss about the amateur game .

Its also my opinion that the North American game costs us nothing as they pick up the tab, unlike Catalan that cost the RFL a reported £2.2million per year!

More clubs will probably come with the same model as Toronto as expansion hits over there and yes I would suspect the game will be even more diluted with over the hill Aussies and lower Championship players eager to get a wage.

In theory it sounds like there should be more money for the community game on mass but in reality nothing will change as any money saved will be divided by the PRO clubs

1 hour ago, Wilber said:

In theory it sounds like there should be more money for the community game on mass but in reality nothing will change as any money saved will be divided by the PRO clubs

I am surprised there is not more discussion on the amateur game by the Pro clubs as the diminishing numbers will ultimately effect their recruitment and on field standards

14 hours ago, Wilber said:

Its also my opinion that the North American game costs us nothing as they pick up the tab, unlike Catalan that cost the RFL a reported £2.2million per year!

More clubs will probably come with the same model as Toronto as expansion hits over there and yes I would suspect the game will be even more diluted with over the hill Aussies and lower Championship players eager to get a wage.

I agree with your last point about nothing changing for the community game .

Lots of players in the amateur game would be able to step up a standard or two if they could earn half decent money . Plenty of good players have good well payed jobs that stops them having a go at a higher level , due to poor pay etc

I've also seen the amateur/semi pro game in Oz , plenty of young men that could step up a level or two , no problem .

Maybe North America will allow more players to earn a wage playing the game . Games got nothing to lose and plenty to gain if things go well in NA .

2 hours ago, henage said:

Lots of players in the amateur game would be able to step up a standard or two if they could earn half decent money . Plenty of good players have good well payed jobs that stops them having a go at a higher level , due to poor pay etc

I've also seen the amateur/semi pro game in Oz , plenty of young men that could step up a level or two , no problem .

Maybe North America will allow more players to earn a wage playing the game . Games got nothing to lose and plenty to gain if things go well in NA .

Just toured America for over two weeks in the south, I suspect a hard market to break into, every bar at anytime was showing American Football from the NFL, I counted 36 college games being shown on TV on top of the NFL, some basketball and basketball but would say 90% American Football. They say Soccer is popular and we saw pitches, but none on TV the USA World Cup game was advertised but did not see the game or anything on the news. 

Due to the size of America there is more open space with schools and small towns having pitches floodlights stands etc possibly more money available but don't complain about the state of the roads or footpaths in the Uk 

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:18 PM, Saint 1 said:

Not quite the gold, frankincense and myrrh made out earlier in this thread! 

Or even mentioned when enticing the NCL into summer (Remember the earlier vote was against the move and I believe they had 2 votes before going)

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:20 PM, henage said:

If you haven't noticed the amateur game in this country is on it's chin strap, start taking players away you'll end up with less teams to produce players - The RFL need to invest very quickly in amateur development at all standards

2 hours ago, Spidey said:
New Member Applications:-

The Management Group also discussed last night applications to join The NCL for 2018 from both Beverley and Queensbury. 

Beverley will have to ge a bigger pitch

2 hours ago, Spidey said:
New Member Applications:-

The Management Group also discussed last night applications to join The NCL for 2018 from both Beverley and Queensbury. 

Beverley will have to get a bigger pitch

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, Marauder said:

If you haven't noticed the amateur game in this country is on it's chin strap, start taking players away you'll end up with less teams to produce players - The RFL need to invest very quickly in amateur development at all standards

I can see the state off the amateur game just as clearly as you .

It will only get worse , see some of my other posts about how young people , parents treat leisure / free time . Youtube, whatsapp , goggle etc etc wouldn't  be losing users anytime soon .

What areas would you use the RFLs money (what money people might ask )cubs , youth , open age , pitches ?

Any sport that stands still will slowly die , allowing young men extra chances to earn some money from the game must be a good thing ! 

Archived