New Workington Coach

He always comes across as articulate and intelligent, he's won multiple challenge cups and grand finals in a long RL career going right back to being captain of England schools; certain amount of club admin experience at Bradford. I think he might go very well as a coach.

Good luck to him. It'll be interesting to see how he goes as a coach.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Two thoughts on his recent time at Bradford which may or may not be relevant in regards as to how this might go -

• He seemed to be more than instrumental in trying to keep what was left of the Bradford squad together in the mess that was the admin/liquidation shambles. I believe had it not been for Leon, Bradford would have had even less players kicking the season off than the few they did have. 
  • The flip side to this is that when the going got tough a few games in and we were shipping points left, right and center he seemed to be barking quite vocal and harsh criticism to quite a young squad. This was in more than one match. Now I'm not saying these RL players are wallflowers, however it did seem to me to be an over-reaction given the situation. Perhaps if he isn't playing he'll react differently. 

Good luck to him, and I look forward to the inevitable day when they beat the Bulls next season!

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

7 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

It's a gamble. Why do you say that?

I'd rather not say. Like I said I like the lad so I don't want to rain on his parade. There was a very good interview with him in " The Guardian " a week or two back. Reading that article I'm surprised he's come back to Rugby League so soon. See if you can find it on the Internet. If you do read it you may get the drift of what I'm concerned about.

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd rather not say. Like I said I like the lad so I don't want to rain on his parade. There was a very good interview with him in " The Guardian " a week or two back. Reading that article I'm surprised he's come back to Rugby League so soon. See if you can find it on the Internet. If you do read it you may get the drift of what I'm concerned about.

I read it last night, who knows if our directors have. They may have got starstruck and couldn't believe their luck, but he's gonna go into it with fresh ideas and enthusiasm and hopefully communicate well with the few remaining fans. It's a tough gig up here.

Just now, homeandawayer said:

I read it last night, who knows if our directors have. They may have got starstruck and couldn't believe their luck, but he's gonna go into it with fresh ideas and enthusiasm and hopefully communicate well with the few remaining fans. It's a tough gig up here.

Coaching at that level is a very tough gig, especially if you've been a top player in your day and the guys you're coaching aren't.

I've had similar issues to what Pryce referred to when I got divorced many years ago. Getting back to " normality " takes longer than you think.  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. 

I sincerely hope everything works out for Leon and the club but it's a big ask.

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Is this the article? https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/20/leon-pryce-help-ex-rugby-league-players-mental-health

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think for Workington, which did not have the season it had hoped and is in the midst of a housecleaning, this at least signals to its fans to an intent by management to attempt to rebuild to a contender.  Hiring a high profile individual in the sport is one step in that direction. 

I don't have any issues with the health matters, physical or mental.  Good on him for recognizing and seeking help, and it should make him a stronger coach and more cognizant of such issues in his own players.

On 16/10/2017 at 11:53 AM, Futtocks said:

Thanks. An interesting and difficult read. Surprising that a three page interview with LP in this months RLW made no mention of this, or of course any desire to take a coaching job

10 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

But then conversely, having some consistency and routine may be what he needs. A sense of purpose, a chance to work towards something may help his recovery. I think without being disrespectful to Workington, it is low pressure enough that this could be good for Pryce to go about his business without there being too much weight on his shoulders.

No pro coaching job is low pressure. This is a results driven business. 

Presumably, he needs an income, so why not take a job in the field where he has most experience and knowledge? Does not preclude him from carrying on his good works. I trust it will all work out well for him,his family and for his new club.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Presumably, he needs an income, so why not take a job in the field where he has most experience and knowledge? Does not preclude him from carrying on his good works. I trust it will all work out well for him,his family and for his new club.

I really hope so too. He seems a decent bloke. It just seems strange that in that very recent " Guardian " article he appears not to be interested in a coaching career yet a fortnight later he applies for the Workington job.

Archived