Women's WC - Match Thread

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The video stream isn't running smoothly enough for me to keep watching this. A frustrating morning all round.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sutcliffe scores next to the posts. 34-8 kick to come

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The video stream isn't running smoothly enough for me to keep watching this. A frustrating morning all round.

Once it started it's been good quality here.

I'm not sure what I learned from these 3 games. AUS and NZ certainly looked the most organised and most structured in attack but they both played before the rain came. They also played probably the 2 weakest opponents. Certainly the PNGers were much better defenders than the other 2 so England's performance in scoring 36 points probably equals the other 2 winners scoring 50.

England was consistently good right through the lineup and they held their defensive structure well. PNG made a few linebreaks but that was more due to the skill of PNGers. England made a lot more line breaks but the PNG side scrambled well.

I'd rate ENG, OZ and NZ even on today's games. PNG next best.

I have one complaint: just before HT in the Canada game their lock Mandy Marchak hit her head very hard on the ground in a tackle. When she stood up she was clearly staggering, but no trainer came out and she didn't go to the HIA. In NRL that could be worth a huge fine but, aside from the $$$, she really should have been taken off.

5 hours ago, Farmduck said:

The Canadians need to focus on some RL theory. Their kicking game was very RU - just hoof it into the air and hope. They didn't kick for the chasers or for the line. Too much one-out running (setting up for the next ruck/maul?) and, as I mentioned, defensive formation needs some work.

Not surprising that. Excuse the quote being in capitals: 

“WITH ALL OF OUR PLAYERS TRANSITIONING FROM RUGBY UNION, I’VE BEEN EXTREMELY IMPRESSED WITH NOT ONLY THE TALENT AND ATHLETICISM ON SHOW DURING THE RECENT TRIAL GAMES, BUT ALSO EAGERNESS TO LEARN THE GAME ACROSS THE BOARD.”

So this world cup has just been a learning proess for them as Union players.

2 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Enjoyed the Eng game.

As I said above, they had the toughest opposition and played in the wet so they get extra credit for that win by comparison to AUS/NZ. Their backline structures in attack were good and they were helped by the size advantage.

5 hours ago, Farmduck said:

As I said above, they had the toughest opposition and played in the wet so they get extra credit for that win by comparison to AUS/NZ. Their backline structures in attack were good and they were helped by the size advantage.

I have watched quite a few jillys v ferns games these last few years. I love the way the ladies play the game. These games do give them an advantage over our girls.

On the tournement itself, they are clear favourites but im very impressed by the English girls so far.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Archived