Ashes exclusive to BT sport.

Very even after the first day, If England are rolled over for 250 ts Australia's to lose. If England gets 350 it's a working total.

Big problem for England, as with the last tour, is the scoring rate with only 196 on the board and the second new ball taken. The need to acellerate cost Vince his wicket with Root who has taken over from KP as the opne going for the red bull run  enticing his partner to push and run as he was doing to up the scoring rate. There are two states in cricket being bowled to and being bowled at. England have spent the day being bowled to and that leaves you vulnerable to the loss of a flurry of wickets as bowlers can exert pressure and the field can be set up in an attacking mode.

Nathan Lyon is a good spin bowler and does come on early for NSW and I have even seen him bowl at the end of the inniongs in the big bash but as wsith all Australian spinners lives in the shadow of Warne after which everyone else appears ordinary by comparison. England are not playing him well though being a bit static in defence. got to try to get him off his line by knocking him around the park and moving the scoreboard.

A lot being made about the back to back tests but this brings into question squad depth and Ebngland will struggle with Craig Overton and Tom Curran as the back up seam attack. Big fan of TC but as a One day bowler at this stage in his career. He would have been better stickling with his contract to play with the Hobart Hurricanes in the BBL as playing cricket down under beats being a drinks waiter. Though there is a school of though that TC will be released if Stokes does not face crimnal charges. In which case an SOS "Come and save us Stokesy" will be going out. Lots of positiive PR spin for Stokes being fed to the MSM recently so the second coming of St Ben is on the cards if the Police play ball.

A more positive first day tfor England, that most including myself, could have hoped for but tomorrow is another day and we will soon see if the pitch is as slow and difficult to score on once Warner and Smith are batting on it.

Love the BT Sport commentary, based on the Ten coverage of the BBL with the Aussie commentators frm the BBL being used. Compared to Sky or a Channel 9 live feed its a breath of resh air.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/11/2017 at 2:56 PM, Dave T said:

Don't worry about them, they are never losing out mate.

In the case of sports rights in the UK, I don't believe the competition created by BT Sports has been a good thing for customers.

Exactly because it just created a bidding war between the 2 and prices went up 

BT sport commentary team is dreadful. It’s really putting me off watching. Apart from Vaughan it’s so disappointing. Boycott is entertaining but there isn’t anyone else who I find interesting. Really poor in comparison with Sky who had Bumble, Warne, Atherton, Hussain, Botham, Holding, Gower

Warner failed to turn up for his war.

Boycotts laughter at the dismissal was well deserved!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Still pretty even, looking like it may be near parity after the first innings for both sides, Certainly a lead of over 50 could be decisive in the game. Root has captained very well with his bowling changes but Woakes and Ball are letting the side down a bit. England's second innings and how they play Nathan Lyon will be the key to the match.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

First session of Day 3 is crucial to the shape of the match. Getting Smith's wicket early, plus 1 or 2 more will swing it back to England. If Smith gets dug in, they'll be looking to accumulate steadily and really go for a good lead.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pity about the time difference with Australia, but other than that enjoying the coverage by BT - it’s a promising start for them.

There’s a good portfolio of sport on there now and it is a genuine alternative to having Sky for sports fans with less to spend.

Wish they could cover the RL Championship next year which is going to be almost totally ignored next year by Sky despite it looking very tasty indeed.

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

First session of Day 3 is crucial to the shape of the match. Getting Smith's wicket early, plus 1 or 2 more will swing it back to England. If Smith gets dug in, they'll be looking to accumulate steadily and really go for a good lead.

We've not had Day 2 yet mate, you Mystic Meg or something?

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Erm, we have had two days play.

Thanks, just woken up. And not because BT Sport commentary team sent me to sleep for once.

It makes me laugh when people (incl commentators) say the first session of..........is so important because in reality every session is important. You switch off or have a bad session at any time and you can get burned and then be behind the 8 ball

18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Thanks, just woken up. And not because BT Sport commentary team sent me to sleep for once.

It makes me laugh when people (incl commentators) say the first session of..........is so important because in reality every session is important. You switch off or have a bad session at any time and you can get burned and then be behind the 8 ball

Yes, but if Smith survives the opening barrage from Anderson and (probably) Broad, he'll be set for the day, or at least 'til the new ball. If they catch him cold at the start of play, that alters the complexion of the match.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, but if Smith survives the opening barrage from Anderson and (probably) Broad, he'll be set for the day, or at least 'til the new ball. If they catch him cold at the start of play, that alters the complexion of the match.

Or he could survive but run out of partners and be last man standing all out for 330. So many ifs and buts

Listening to TMS, sounds like a much closer game than forecast.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

11 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Listening to TMS, sounds like a much closer game than forecast.

It's a cracker of a contest. At least, the bits I hear before drifting off to sleep and the bits I hear when I wake up.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sadly things are not going to get any better than this for England. They are the weaker side and the attach is unsuited to Australian conditions, making matters worse - who do you change?. Bowling wise you have Craig Overton and Tom Curran both right -arm medium fast and inexperienced internationally. Batting wise Garry Ballance who has had enough chances already and is colour blind with a problem playing day-night tests.

The only possible alternatives IMO are Ben Foakes as a batter - Right handed with an orthodox technique as Lyon is exploiting the left handers and Mason Crane who I would have picked if an Adelaide day time match but not in day -night conditions when it will all be down to Broad and Anderson.

I am afraid the cupboard is bare and my 4-1 Australia scoreline is looking optimistic for England. Roll on the one day and T20 when things will be different

George Orwell

There is two kinds of masochism .Spanking sessions with Miss Whiplash or getting up at 2.45am to watch the England Cricket team..

The situation in a nutshell is this, England need to score 243 in the first innings to avoid the follow on , thuis making Australia bat again and gving them achance of getting out of Adelaide with a draw and keping the serries alive.

Duncan Fletcher used to say that you need two things to be a successful Test side, fast bowlers who can bowl 90mph and spinner s who put a lot of revolutions on the ball. England have neither, and have not helped themselves with the Touring Squad because as Craig Overton is proving you can change the bowlers but not the bowling.

Another night of watching Starc and Cummins hurl thunderbolts down at Englands batters before being spin shocked when Nathan Lyon comes on and actually spins the ball. Hard to blame Joe Root for this as he has been dealt a bad hand

It's said that our canine friends often take on the facial expressions of their masters(See Clement Freud) Well this pooch is accurately conveying the scene as it will be torrow in the Early morning in the Rooster household.

proxy.gif

George Orwell

Fantastic final session today, full of tension, appeals and with the Barmy Army in full voice.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Australia still in pole position to win the test but in unaustralian manner have missed a trick here by not treading England into the ground by enforcing the follow on. Put it this way, if England had been flattened by a innings and plenty as might have been the case, then gloom and despair would have taken hold. I would be wondering where the 1 win I predicted in a 4-1 defeat was coming from.

Now win or lose, England get a massive psychological boost out of this game in that  Australia have been both skittled batting and rattled bowling so the breast beating will be more about why England did not show up in the first two days as opposed to feeling considerably inferior to the opposition. This is imporant in that this is an ordinary Australian outfit with a good bowling line up (But NOT the greatest Australian bowling attack of all time as the local paper claimed)  but if Peter Handscomb is the answer at No 5 in your batting line up then your asking the wrong question. They have problems which have now been exposed.

Like a lot of the fourth estate that have watched this match, I am doubting DRS because to the naked eye Players have been given In when out and out when looking in. Yes, there is always a margin of error but this just does not look right. The only plus is that ropey decisions are affecting both sides.

England's chances may depend a lot on how many Moeen and Johnny B score when they come into bat and the way in which they approach the game. Both can score quickly and if the target narrows to under 100 we will see how this Australian side handles pressure.

George Orwell

Archived