What if the NRL Serbs would play for Serbia?

FB: Tom Trbojevic (Manly)

WG: Nikola Cotric (Canberra)

CE: Tom Opacic (Brisbane)

LF: Jake Trbojevic (Manly)

This would be a brilliant core of Serb-heritage professional players. Add a couple of halves and a couple of forwards from the Australian second division (NSW Cup and QLD Cup), and take the rest of the players from Serbia itself. Surely Serbia would then qualify for the 2021 World Cup.

The problem is that the Trbojevic brothers will be in the running to play for Australia. There is a need to find money to pay the Serbs, and every other qualifying non-big 3 team member, to play for their resident or heritage country. US$5000 a match per player would be a good fee. That would require finding $85,000 per team per match, with a minimum of $255,000 needed to play the pool games. Another sum of between $85,000 and $255,000 would be needed to cover the possibilities of quarter final, semi-final, and final qualification. Corporate sponsorship could do it, if all the games were televised in their home countries. Surely a couple of Serbian billionaires would come up with $125,000 - $250,000 each to have their company names emblazoned on the nation's jersey, and seen on TV.

20 minutes ago, Sick39ed said:

If these Aussies did play Serbia would be lethal and they would threaten the likes of Scotland and France easily.

You are correct. Think of what a difference half back Robbie Farah, hooker Michael Lichaa, props Tim Mannah and Alex Twal,  and especially five eighth Mitchell Moses made for Lebanon in 2017, and got them to the quarter finals. Serbia could do at least as well with those four Serb-heritage players I have identified, though Serbia would definitely also need two experienced halves and two experienced props from the NSW and QLD Cups.

I wonder if there are any Serb-heritage players in Super League or the Championship?

It'll never happen, but it is fun to imagine. 

Like so many emerging nations though, it is the halves where finding the talent is hard.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lebanon have far greater depth I’d reckon and rugby nous . Those guys as stand outs alone wouldn’t get them anywhere , and jake is a shoo in for Australia’s squad and tom is on his way , they’re central to the next gen

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It'll never happen, but it is fun to imagine. 

Like so many emerging nations though, it is the halves where finding the talent is hard.

If James Tedesco can establish himself as the incumbent Australian full back after Billy Slater retires, it might happen with Tom Trbojevic. Trobojevic and Tedesco are the two competing for Slater's succession. Tom's brother Jake looks more certain to be selected for Australia, and young Nikola Cotric is such a brilliant winger one can imagine him being in contention for an Australian jersey in 2021.

But who knows what will happen between now and 2021. If the minimum fee of US$5000 per match was guaranteed, the players would not be taking such a financial loss by playing for Serbia (Australians get paid AU$10,000 -20,000 per match, I am not exactly sure). And remember the high profile NZ stars like Jason Taumololo who chose to represent Tonga, not NZ, for no pay in the last World Cup? Thus national cultural pride might play a role too in making them put their hands up for Serbia in 2020/2021.

Regarding the Tedesco claim to FB, I think Tom Trbojevic could get a call-up out of position, at least for state level at first.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Regarding the Tedesco claim to FB, I think Tom Trbojevic could get a call-up out of position, at least for state level at first.

Yeh interesting that . As their rep teams have such fullback depth they often do that to get the best players in . As of the season start I’d personally have Trbojevic ahead for fullback but Tedesco is starting to find his feet and is a sturdier option at 1 for the blues you’d think . I’m interested to see how radical a reboot Fittler brings overall

It would depend on how many QLD and NSW cup players they have available. I know at least 5 Serbians who are not related in Brisbane and I'm fairly anti social. I assume there would be a fair few in the QLD cup or maybe their heritage has them playing soccer. 

If the Red Star Serbian team could get some investors they could probably field a decent team of QLD/NSW cup Serbians that would blow most league one teams away and push into Championship 1. Great way to showcase the game to the Serbian public.

The current squad playing reserve grade in the local competition they are now until they get experienced/good enough to push into the first grade team. Just training with the QLD/NSW cup guys would be a great way to increase their professionalism with the Aus Serbians showing them the ropes. 

I think if the World Cup was in Australia then Serbia would get your top end heritage players, but the travel to England is the question of their commitment really. If Serbia came to them you'd imagine they'd play. Blake Austin once played for Portugal in Australia despite erm being ineligible...

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

27 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Are we even sure they're all Serbian? I thought I read somewhere that the Trbjoevic brothers were Croat?

Meh, what's the difference? They're all like brothers in that part of the world.

People called Romans they go the house

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Mixed I think 

Correct, Trbojevic brothers Mother Serbian, Father is Croation

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

9 hours ago, Ash Hope said:

but the travel to England is the question of their commitment really.

And the NRL clubs would have quite understandable health concerns that so many matches would be played at sea level.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

I wonder if there are any Serb-heritage players in Super League or the Championship?

Jason Muranka (Doncaster) is the only one i know of, he's played several times for Serbia already.

Archived