Workington on Sunday

The King Of Leon

We’re more than a one man team Oldham destroyed us and we had legit no pack that game. We didn’t take a full strength London Broncos to within 2pts for nothing and we aren’t the only team to beat Bradford for nothing. It’s a long trek and it’ll be a sweltering heat. On our own turf if see nothing but a town win and a statement of intent Workington 30-16 Hunslet 

Just my view at home we are a different animal 

Hmmm, not sure about this one. Seven wins on the bounce says we are certainly capable of winning but the last three games have hardly been statements that we can sweep all before us. And in each of them we conceded a Penkywicz/Flanagan type try! If we've been watching our own match videos we could do a lot worse than look at how Crusaders defended on their own line, which was outstanding. Team selection will be interesting with new signings Tonks and Wright from Keighley, and I believe Daley Williams available for the first time.

Anyway looking forward to Sunday and will be travelling up with hope in my heart! 

1 hour ago, pudsey hawk said:

Sin binning turned game and we played dumb rugby . 4 players on debut 2 of which haven’t played for ages and some key players missing means there is more to come from hunslet yet

11 forwards in the 17, 6 of whom were props, 2 of which played the full 80 in searing heat and our fitness conditioner called up to make a squad of 17. 7 players missing means there’s more to come from this town team yet.

So as I intimated midweek, here endeth our unbeaten run. Two main reasons why we came unstuck yesterday;

a) the team announcement didn't begin "1-Watson, 2-Foggin-Johnson, 3-Chappell...", then two players announced playing their first game for two years and another two making their Hunslet debut. Those three were missed, though to be fair Duffy did a fair job filling in at full-back, but defensive mix-ups down the right side cost us two tries. So too much change in the team; certainly some of the togetherness that has pulled us through when things get tough so often this season seemed lacking.

b) the sin-binning of Flynn early in the second half was a game-changer, Workington were certainly capable of taking  advantage of it and to be fair we had been put on a team warning at the time.

Shame really, as we seemed well on course at half-time. Straugheir put another captain's stint in down the right but lacked the usual quality outside him, Mvududu had his best game of the season and Williams will be a good acquisition when he beds in. Sanderson and Southernwood had their quietest games for some time.

So a not entirely unexpected defeat under the circumstances but plenty of pointers for the coaches and players for where we need to improve.

I thought we played very well 1st half and could have scored in the 39 th min when Williams stole the ball one on one and looked to add to the 14-4 score, we played great  for the 1st 40 mins our forwards making great yards.The 2nd half was a disaster from the opening set , Flynn got 10 mins in the bin after a Moi Moi charge then Penky took charge and Worky got 12 points while we were down to 12. Worky then dominated the rest of the half to be honest , Muffy got us back in the game but somehow Sandy hit the post with the easy kick and  Town punished us more with a late try  with Forber  hitting the goal from the touchline. We didn't go for one 40/20 in the entire match on the rock hard pitch  which I find strange in this weather, to make matters worse I think Zak Braham broke his arm and Lewis Reed limped off .

14 minutes ago, FRISKY FILLY said:

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHO SCORED OUR THIRD TRY?

THE REPORT ON OUR WEBSITE DIDNT GIVE HIM A MENTION

Mvdudoo ...apologies for that but the centre who was a threat all day . Just the kind we need !

1 hour ago, FRISKY FILLY said:

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHO SCORED OUR THIRD TRY?

THE REPORT ON OUR WEBSITE DIDNT GIVE HIM A MENTION

Don't believe all you read on the club website ... last week at Wrexham the report said Ashton scored the final Hunslet try when in fact it that was Mvududu also. A very odd case of mistaken identity, if ever I saw one!!

And to add to the oddness, the report actually came with a picture of Muffa scoring the try!

Archived