Steve Rogers

Dunbar

A couple of times over the last few days I have come to remember the name Steve Rogers.  Firstly, I saw this piece on him on NRL.com with a great video montage of his career highlights.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/24/remembering-steve-rogers/

Then I was looking through the 1982 Kangaroo tour history today and saw that he kept players like Gene Miles and Steve Ella out of the test team which proves what a great player he was.

In 1986 I was a 16 year old just starting in my Rugby League journey when I went to Central Park to watch Wigan play Widnes.  All the talk was about this guy called Steve Rogers that Widnes had just signed and he sounded like a superman to me, I couldn't wait to see him play.  Sadly, he broke his leg that day and his time as a Widnes player lasted just 13 minutes and that was the end of his career.

There are a few players I would love to have seen play in the flesh and Steve Rogers is right at the top of that list.  I remember so many of those great 80's Aussies... Kenny, Sterling, Miles, Lewis, Meninga, Mortimer, Ella, Grothe and more but Rogers was as good as all of these and I am disappointed I didn't get to see more of him than just 13 minutes.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

39 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

A couple of times over the last few days I have come to remember the name Steve Rogers.  Firstly, I saw this piece on him on NRL.com with a great video montage of his career highlights.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/24/remembering-steve-rogers/

Then I was looking through the 1982 Kangaroo tour history today and saw that he kept players like Gene Miles and Steve Ella out of the test team which proves what a great player he was.

In 1986 I was a 16 year old just starting in my Rugby League journey when I went to Central Park to watch Wigan play Widnes.  All the talk was about this guy called Steve Rogers that Widnes had just signed and he sounded like a superman to me, I couldn't wait to see him play.  Sadly, he broke his leg that day and his time as a Widnes player lasted just 13 minutes and that was the end of his career.

There are a few players I would love to have seen play in the flesh and Steve Rogers is right at the top of that list.  I remember so many of those great 80's Aussies... Kenny, Sterling, Miles, Lewis, Meninga, Mortimer, Ella, Grothe and more but Rogers was as good as all of these and I am disappointed I didn't get to see more of him than just 13 minutes.

I must have been at that game, but have no detail of it. But I remember now that Rogers broke his leg. Very sad.

One of the benefits of playing in winter was to bring over star players, or indeed honest to goodness blinking good ones. And indeed British playets going to Oz.

42 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Always loved Steve Rogers...

captain-america-marvel-avengers-assemble-lifesize-standup_a-G-9705906-0.jpg

I knew when I posted this that it would only be a matter of time before Captain America came up.

As it happens, I love Marvel and I have already selected my Marvel Cinematic Universe RL 13. Steve would make a good modern day stand off or a more traditional loose forward.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 minutes ago, Allora said:

Sad end for Steve Rogers (sludge) a great player that was faster than he appeared.

Do we know how he came to be 'Sludge'? Not the most flattering of nicknames.

40 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I knew when I posted this that it would only be a matter of time before Captain America came up.

As it happens, I love Marvel and I have already selected my Marvel Cinematic Universe RL 13. Steve would make a good modern day stand off or a more traditional loose forward.

Totally off topic, but I'd love to a new thread on a Marvel cinematic RL team :) 

5 hours ago, Allora said:

Sad end for Steve Rogers (sludge) a great player that was faster than he appeared.

When I read that, I thought of Ben Harris, our Aussie centre who seemed to have no pace whatsoever. I looked him up on Wikipedia and these days he's a genuine flyer ... he's a pilot for Qantas.

?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

15 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Do we know how he came to be 'Sludge'? Not the most flattering of nicknames.

The nickname was bestowed by his Cronulla teammate Maurie Raper that year in the lounge room of the captain, Tommy Bishop, when Rogers collapsed in a heap, drunk on beer for the first time in his life.

"Hey, fellas, Steve looks like a hunk of sludge," Raper said then.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sludge-began-on-the-floor-and-ended-at-the-top-20060104-gdmq4i.html

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

isn't matt rogers his son?

Yes he is.

You know you are getting old when the rugby playing son of a rugby player you watched play is retired.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes he is.

You know you are getting old when the rugby playing son of a rugby player you watched play is retired.

like david ward and danny ward

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Jeff and Paul Grayshon

Jeff lasted so long, he actually played in the same match as Paul at least once. I can't imagine that's happened too often in any sport, even the more sedate ones.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived