Autonomous vehicles

Personally I think it’s less of a technology question than it is a people question.  The level of control needed for autonomy would mean the human being completely removed from the equation and having no control.  Whilst still a long way off, the technology will be available long before people are willing to implement it, if ever.

Tight control of airspace is understood and expected, will groundspace ever be treated similarly?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JonM said:

Planes use decades old technology and for good reason.

The software in the 737 Max wasn't decades old. Not the bits that failed recently.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

was it really such an effort to wind up the car windows with the winder or open the car by twisting the key in the lock? technology is fine when its new 6 or 7 years down the line new cars will just be one expensive problem after another

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

The software in the 737 Max wasn't decades old. Not the bits that failed recently.

The hardware it was running on probably was though. They tend to stick to things that have been shown to work elsewhere for 10+ years.

4 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Personally I think it’s less of a technology question than it is a people question.  The level of control needed for autonomy would mean the human being completely removed from the equation and having no control.  Whilst still a long way off, the technology will be available long before people are willing to implement it, if ever.

Tight control of airspace is understood and expected, will groundspace ever be treated similarly?

This is absolutely right and the automotive industry is working with governments around the world to create legislative frameworks that allow AVs on the roads

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

Why do pilots wear seatbelts ? 

Because the sky has holes in it that planes fall through.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 hours ago, tim2 said:

Just black out all the windows. You can't fear what you can't see.

What you need is a pair of peril sensitive sunglasses.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

More chance of us having flying cars by then 

Hover boots, they're the future.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

The hardware it was running on probably was though. They tend to stick to things that have been shown to work elsewhere for 10+ years.

Interestingly they did go for carbon fibre wings and body a lot earlier than I expected them to.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

14 hours ago, JohnM said:

De_Dion-Bouton_Type_G_Vis-a-Vis_1901.jpgGraveyard Johnny earlier today......

the turn ups on the jeans are spot on but wheres my quiff?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 05/04/2019 at 20:44, Steve May said:

Motorway driving is a lot easier so I think you're probably right.

You could also hugely increase the capacity of motorways by allowing the vehicles to communicate with each other.    The maths of this is really interesting, and covered in a chapter of the book Critical Mass by Philip Ball.     

Basically, most of a busy motorway is empty, taken up by the space between cars that you have to leave because your reactions are very slow. 

If your reactions were hundreds of thousands of times faster or you had the ability to communicate with the vehicles in front and behind you, then you could drive quite safely a few cm away from them at very high speed.  You would triple or quadruple the capacity of the motorway quite easily.

Like in Singapore 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 05/04/2019 at 20:24, JohnM said:

De_Dion-Bouton_Type_G_Vis-a-Vis_1901.jpgGraveyard Johnny earlier today......

Is that driving instructor you, John?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

I read something a while ago about modern planes and their computer control systems. It was actually about the latest fighter planes and may have been related to the 'stealth' properties. Basically, it said that a human being could not fly the planes without computer assistance. Apparently, the planes are so critically balanced that a human pilot cannot react quickly enough to even the slightest change in that balance. Perhaps planes are so 'frisky' nowadays that we can't allow pilots to completely override the computer systems. Anyone know more about this?

29 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I read something a while ago about modern planes and their computer control systems. It was actually about the latest fighter planes and may have been related to the 'stealth' properties. Basically, it said that a human being could not fly the planes without computer assistance. Apparently, the planes are so critically balanced that a human pilot cannot react quickly enough to even the slightest change in that balance. Perhaps planes are so 'frisky' nowadays that we can't allow pilots to completely override the computer systems. Anyone know more about this?

It’s not balance per se, though that is a component, it’s about the designed static and dynamic aerodynamic stability of the aircraft or aircraft type.

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/aerodynamics/3-types-of-static-and-dynamic-stability-in-aircraft/

3 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Is that driving instructor you, John?

Close.....?

In fact, in the late 1940s, my father rebuilt a de Dion Bouton similar to the one in the image  and drove it from the Hazel Grove factory of his employer William Arnold  to the Cat and Fiddle. It was still running 20 years ago, but I don't know where it is now. I'll ry and find the press cutting.

13 hours ago, CanaBull said:

It’s not balance per se, though that is a component, it’s about the designed static and dynamic aerodynamic stability of the aircraft or aircraft type.

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/aerodynamics/3-types-of-static-and-dynamic-stability-in-aircraft/

Thanks for that. I kind of knew that 'balance' was not the right word, but I couldn't think of 'stability' at the time.

Archived