New York backers revealed..

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

What’s it aboot?

I’ve been to Canada and I heard “aboot”!

I was once on public transport in Vancouver (I think it was in 1990) chatting to another Australian and I overheard some locals talking about our accents. One told the other that we must be from somewhere in the eastern part of Canada..

7 hours ago, Copa said:

I’ve been to Canada and I heard “aboot”!

I was once on public transport in Vancouver (I think it was in 1990) chatting to another Australian and I overheard some locals talking about our accents. One told the other that we must be from somewhere in the eastern part of Canada..

Those Canucks are obviously in denial aboot their accent. Usonian wannabes if you ask me.

rldfsignature.jpg

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 22:29, Kayakman said:

No, we have a Prime Minister. 

There is a very, very famous ad...it came out as a beer commercial but became the  most popular commercial in Canadian history and part of the fabric of the society....  part of what we call Canadiana...if you understand it you sort of understand part of what being a Canadian is all about. I've up loaded it here...worth a view...is very funny (to Canadians)!!!!!  Not too long either.

I love the ad. 

56 minutes ago, westside said:

Newfie accents are quite a bit different in fairness - they sound more Irish.

Not just Irish but specifically from the Kilkenny/Waterford region. It's incredible that the accent has stayed that specific for so long.

6 hours ago, damp squib said:

Not just Irish but specifically from the Kilkenny/Waterford region. It's incredible that the accent has stayed that specific for so long.

I did not know that.  I just listened to this video, and ya, it's pretty close. Kind of amazing.

Imo there needs to be a super league game in new york to gauge interest. With toronto the national side had similar crowds to wolfpack. The mlr new york crowds are low there intial game was a sell out but since not many have turned up. 

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

Not sure a SL game would be the answer, possibly build it in a similar way to Toronto and then market it with a SL game. 

There is a reason they all have to start from the bottom now! 

Gaining interest is built, not one offs.

Of course an SL game wouldn't be the answer.  The tarted-up version of the old RL Championship doesn't have two teams from places which New Yorkers have ever heard of and likely won't for some time to come.

14 hours ago, Big Picture said:

doesn't have two teams from places which New Yorkers have ever heard of and likely won't for some time to come.

image.png.130d4a0b122a64a6f4e8159b9a1973d4.pngThey'll have heard of one, the right one

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived