New Perez Interview

An intriguing listen; it’s not often that you hear such an extended interview from Eric Perez.

These are the main points I took out of this:

·         Hamilton would be a great option for an RL team and he has had discussions with the Tiger Cats. There were other cities, but his main aim was for another Canadian team and Ottawa was the best option.

·         He confirms buying the Hemel Stags professional club, but confirmed a continuing relationship with the Hemel club.

·         Ottawa would have UK home base; there were advantages for pre-season.

(Here he mentioned Toronto having closed door matches with Huddersfield and Halifax)

When asked when Ottawa would join the league, EP said that they had ticked most of the boxes, but if he was a betting man it would be 2021.     (note sure how to take that as EP does keep his cards close to his chest)

·         EP defends Toronto which has come in for some criticism, for example, about player development. That club started it all and for much of the time they were spinning plates, but ultimately learning as they went along.

As international teams seemed to be out of the picture, they might introduce their own version of the Challenge Cup.

Ottawa would probably develop more steadily, and EP would be happy to be challenging for  the Championship playoffs each year.

EP had the idea of an end of season tournament international tournament including an NRL club/s.

There would be a massive launch this summer.

There was one part of the discussion that connected with Steve Mascord’s recent podcast in which he posed the idea of Toronto rejecting a Super League place, particularly if it was perceived that there were too many obstacles to entry. In doing so, a strong league including big names might attract TV money.

EP suggested that a Championship including Toronto, Toulouse, York, Newcastle, Manchester, London, Ottawa and New York would attract international money. Such a league had the potential to become the premier league within 10 years.

It’s all very absorbing – RL proceeds with more twists and turns than the Brexit issue and, dare I say it, is equally divisive. 

What’s next..?

6 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

There was one part of the discussion that connected with Steve Mascord’s recent podcast in which he posed the idea of Toronto rejecting a Super League place, particularly if it was perceived that there were too many obstacles to entry. In doing so, a strong league including big names might attract TV money. EP suggested that a Championship including Toronto, Toulouse, York, Newcastle, Manchester, London, Ottawa and New York would attract international money. Such a league had the potential to become the premier league within 10 years.

Fascinating, but surely Toronto have stated repeatedly their aim is Super League?

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Fascinating, but surely Toronto have stated repeatedly their aim is Super League?

I'm sure it still is, but it's an intriguing thought that Toronto could actually say no if the obstacles were too great. And whilst not on the same scale, Toronto did reject the RFL's terms for Challenge Cup entry.

Just now, Manxmanc said:

I'm sure it still is, but it's an intriguing thought that Toronto could actually say no if the obstacles were too great. And whilst not on the same scale, Toronto did reject the RFL's terms for Challenge Cup entry.

Good luck to Toronto if they refuse Super League in favour of clubs that don’t actually exist yet!

18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Good luck to Toronto if they refuse Super League in favour of clubs that don’t actually exist yet!

That's currently the case, but a year on, who knows?

18 minutes ago, bird said:

Did he not confirm the club name as Ottawa Stags?

That bit I couldn't hear clearly. I thought he said he can confirm the name, but it may have been a North American short vowelled can't. Sad, but I tried listening three times.

He did say the name, logo and colours would be revealed in the summer, when there would be a massive launch.

59 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

No...you've got it wrong there.

1 hour ago, Manxmanc said:

Yes...you are starting to get it.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

What happened to the Run With The Pack to chase Rhinos type stuff?

What are you talking about Man???????????????

3 minutes ago, henage said:

Do you mean Toronto lost a game of rugby against London , thats sport .

We lost fair and square...and as you know nobody ever claimed any  different....

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Google suggests it is 

a person with little mental strength or resilience

I think that’s a Canadian trait is it not?

Ha!@  Ha!  Ha!  You make me LAUGH LOUDLY.   Oh the irony.

Today is June 6.  Seventy five years ago the Canadians attacked Juno Beach on D Day...The Americans had 2 beaches, the British 2 beaches and the Canadians one beach.  We advanced further than anyone else on the first day and the subsequent period following it.   

Thats a real Canadian trait.   The German General Meyer famously said, " We will throw the small minnow back into the ocean."

Your statement reminds me of that way of thinking on this, a most sacred day to us Canadians.

JUST WATCH US GO!!!!!!!!

Run With The Pack Attack!!!!

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Google suggests it is 

a person with little mental strength or resilience

I think that’s a Canadian trait is it not?

Today's D Day  -  we've had the pleasure of hearing and seeing the resilient generation at the various commemorations, whether from the UK, US, Canada, Norway etc..

All this looks trite and inconsequential.

29 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Today is June 6.  Seventy five years ago the Canadians attacked Juno Beach on D Day...The Americans had 2 beaches, the British 2 beaches and the Canadians one beach.  We advanced further than anyone else on the first day and the subsequent period following it.   

Thats a real Canadian trait.   The German General Meyer famously said, " We will throw the small minnow back into the ocean."

Your statement reminds me of that way of thinking on this, a most sacred day to us Canadians.

JUST WATCH US GO!!!!!!!!

??

46 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

JUST WATCH US GO!!!!!!!!

Im a very big fan of Toronto Wolfpack and I generally like you, but this is a rather offensive statement to a lot of dead soldiers Kayakman. You might want to rephrase it.

Let him go

overt nationalism is a North American trait and to be fair they celebrate their past far more than we do in our rather reserved fashion

the truth is we all fought for a better world back then and some of us still want that

although even the Canadians around Toronto seem to have an authoritarian view to government a la mr ford

right-wing tosh everywhere

about time we all grew up and got on with caring for one another

kayakman, found any booze in Toronto yet? That’s about the depth of politics in Toronto before the administration has a 4 month holiday

boris by another name is mr Ford 

global trumpism

lets not descend to that level eh?

Archived