New Perez Interview

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

??

Ya pulled me right in!  i should have known better.

40 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Im a very big fan of Toronto Wolfpack and I generally like you, but this is a rather offensive statement to a lot of dead soldiers Kayakman. You might want to rephrase it.

Nothing offensive to anybody...just a statement of fact in response to a slur....we are proud of what our soldiers did on that beach..I've been on that beach myself to remember them..we don't make any apologies for what we did on that day and what followed (the best of the best)...we are proud Canadians and if you slur us get ready to have it put back in your face.  We are Canadians and we can paddle our own canoe, Thank You very much.

25 minutes ago, Kris said:

overt nationalism is a North American trait and to be fair they celebrate their past far more than we do in our rather reserved fashion

the truth is we all fought for a better world back then and some of us still want that

although even the Canadians around Toronto seem to have an authoritarian view to government a la mr ford

right-wing tosh everywhere

about time we all grew up and got on with caring for one another

kayakman, found any booze in Toronto yet? That’s about the depth of politics in Toronto before the administration has a 4 month holiday

boris by another name is mr Ford 

global trumpism

lets not descend to that level eh?

I'm no fan of those goofs and I'm no right winger either.

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

What happened to the Run With The Pack to chase Rhinos type stuff?

He used to joke about that but like all jokes, they can only run for so long. Kman has moved on so why not yourself MoK? You used to have a fixation on crowd numbers and I recall having you on about that a few times. We've all moved on from that now too.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

12 minutes ago, RayCee said:

He used to joke about that but like all jokes, they can only run for so long. Kman has moved on so why not yourself MoK? You used to have a fixation on crowd numbers and I recall having you on about that a few times. We've all moved on from that now too.

Do you think Man of Kent is holding a grudge or something against me?????

What did I ever do to him?????

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Do you think Man of Kent is holding a grudge or something against me?????

What did I ever do to him?????

He misses your run with the pack line but you did the right thing moving on.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

Except you and your crowd numbers website, sad sack!!

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Ya pulled me right in!  i should have known better.

Too easy K’man ?

5 hours ago, RayCee said:

He misses your run with the pack line but you did the right thing moving on.

That’s cos it’s less ‘run with the pack’ and more ‘stumble with the pack’ now ?

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Fascinating, but surely Toronto have stated repeatedly their aim is Super League?

Their business plan was to aim for Superleague, but it was to get there with a player development programme and a TV deal which most transatlantic enthusiasts like to forget. You forget like others that SL bosses came out not so long ago and stated TWP would offer no new players, no TV money and a big headache scheduling matches up to Easter.

The interview was far from "Fascinating" it was the usual free-ride in which Perez could predict and even promise anything for the future and he did this as usual. You must not forget that he and his like won't do interviews if they are going to get hard questions, or be questioned on their answers. This was made very clear by the League Express Journo's, this was very obvious in this interview with Perez constantly making vague promises of massive things down the line as he's done for years now.......Are such unchallenged boasts really fascinating my friend?   

13 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

An intriguing listen; it’s not often that you hear such an extended interview from Eric Perez.These are the main points I took out of this:

·        1. EP defends Toronto which has come in for some criticism, for example, about player development. That club started it all and for much of the time they were spinning plates, but ultimately learning as they went along.

2. There was one part of the discussion that connected with Steve Mascord’s recent podcast in which he posed the idea of Toronto rejecting a Super League place, In doing so, a strong league including big names might attract TV money. EP suggested that a Championship including Toronto, Toulouse, York, Newcastle, Manchester, London, Ottawa and New York would attract international money. Such a league had the potential to become the premier league within 10 years.

3. What’s next..?

1. Yes I heard his phrase that TWP were "spinning plates whilst learning" which was meaningless rubbish to dismiss the hard question of his failure to develop players so where are the players going to come from - why do you naively accept these interview techniques for avoiding the hard questions?

2. Once again Perez was given a free ride to spout this breathtaking garbage in which he suggested Massive TV investors would by-pass Leeds, Saints, Wire, Wigan and Hull to go ahead with a Transatlantic league without them. As I say this interview was on condition Perez could talk about his hopes and aspirations, but they weren't to be challenged. Dave Woods did the Mascord/Wilkin interview and it was clear this was on condition no hard questions would be asked like how on earth can the game go forward without it's biggest clubs?  Our game has no investigative journalists and doesn't need them, time will tell the truth, but the truth is the Perez Phoney Baloney just get's bigger and bigger.

3. What's next is whether the decision to admit Ottawa is fully confirmed,  as opposed to being confirmed in principle (you heard anything??). Then we need to see if TWP win the promotion place and what do Superleague do then, as they would dearly want to keep Argyle, but keep him via London Skolars as opposed to TWP. Perez's tactic remains what it always was creating a massive myth that there is a fantastic opportunity for the game to explode around the "Northern hemisphere" which if the SL bosses reject they will get slaughtered in the sports press. But they do need to do this eventually as Dave Woods was clear (in one of the only "intriguing" comments) that the next TV deal will certainly be a lot smaller. 

I have a "Lowlight" from Perez's interview in which he said Rugby League would take off across Canada and North America amongst sports fans who would be attracted to the big hits in the game where players go without body armour and helmets,  had I been interviewing I'd have asked Perez didn't he realise that 3,000 north American RU clubs and 150,000 registered north american RU players have already got there first Eric? No doubt he'd storm out and put me on the banned list, which is what some posters on here do with the ignore button.

14 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

2. Once again Perez was given a free ride to spout this breathtaking garbage in which he suggested Massive TV investors would by-pass Leeds, Saints, Wire, Wigan and Hull to go ahead with a Transatlantic league without them. As I say this interview was on condition Perez could talk about his hopes and aspirations, but they weren't to be challenged. Dave Woods did the Mascord/Wilkin interview and it was clear this was on condition no hard questions would be asked like how on earth can the game go forward without it's biggest clubs?  

Who are those clubs to potential investors and sponsors? Nobody outside of England has heard of those places. 

17 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

I have a "Lowlight" from Perez's interview in which he said Rugby League would take off across Canada and North America amongst sports fans who would be attracted to the big hits in the game where players go without body armour and helmets,  had I been interviewing I'd have asked Perez didn't he realise that 3,000 north American RU clubs and 150,000 registered north american RU players have already got there first Eric? No doubt he's storm out and put me on the banned list.

I'm not sure you're savvy to what's happening in Canadian RU at the moment but it's pretty dire.

The Wolfpack are doing fine. They get triple what the Toronto Arrows get at games. Another Canadian team is going to accelerate the awesome growth that Toronto has experienced. 

Have you seen the junior teams forming in Canada of late? Probably not. 

new rise.jpg

41 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Oh, I suppose I haven't had a look at one of these for a while...

1. Yes I heard his phrase that TWP were "spinning plates whilst learning" which was meaningless rubbish (strong opinion) to dismiss the hard question of his failure to develop players so where are the players going to come from - why do you naively accept these interview techniques for avoiding the hard questions?

I was summarising what I considered to be the main points of the interview for readers, particularly those who might not have the time to spend an hour on listening. It could be speed reading on your part, but I did not express views on the points raised, other than add that it was an intriguing interview. The comment in red actually reveals you own view rather than mine.

2. Once again Perez was given a free ride to spout this breathtaking garbage in which he suggested Massive TV investors would by-pass Leeds, Saints, Wire, Wigan and Hull to go ahead with a Transatlantic league without them.

Once again, the comments in red simply reveal your own strong opinion on his views, but I don't understand comments like 'free ride'. Perhaps, EP should have been exposed to the scrutiny that would be worthy of a general election TV debate. A significant player in recent RL history, was simply being given a rare opportunity of an extended interview. It was also a piece of speculation, fascinating all the same, but I suspect this will be slated as concrete policy in missives to come. 

As I say this interview was on condition Perez could talk about his hopes and aspirations, but they weren't to be challenged. Dave Woods did the Mascord/Wilkin interview and it was clear this was on condition no hard questions would be asked like how on earth can the game go forward without it's biggest clubs?  Our game has no investigative journalists and doesn't need them, time will tell the truth, but the truth is the Perez Phoney Baloney just get's bigger and bigger.

I'm not aware of any conditions being attached to the interview, but you have accepted that he could talk his hopes and aspirations. I would question how you know that there was a condition that no hard questions could be asked. I suspect you simply found the interview uncomfortable and did not appreciate what you were hearing..

3. What's next is whether the decision to admit Ottawa is fully confirmed,  as opposed to being confirmed in principle. Then we need to see if TWP win the promotion place and what do Superleague then, as they would want to keep Argyle, but keep him via London Skolars as opposed to TWP. Perez's tactic remains what it always was creating a massive myth that there is a fantastic opportunity for the game to explode around the "Northern hemisphere" which if the SL bosses reject they will get slaughtered in the sports press. But they do need to do this eventually as Dave Woods was clear (in one of the only interesting comments) that the next TV deal will certainly be a lot smaller. 

I have a "Lowlight" from Perez's interview in which he said Rugby League would take off across Canada and North America amongst sports fans who would be attracted to the big hits in the game where players go without body armour and helmets,  had I been interviewing I'd have asked Perez didn't he realise that 3,000 north American RU clubs and 150,000 registered north american RU players have already got there first Eric? No doubt he's storm out and put me on the banned list.

This really smacks of desperation and is not worthy of a debate of any sophistication. I would suggest that the twists and turns of the expansion debate are to you becoming debilitating. I do also wonder at the constant promotion of RU in your articles and whether your  real interest lies in RL.

I would be genuinely interested in noting your own hopes and aspirations for RL and what you would really like to see. I imagine I'm not alone.

11 hours ago, Kris said:

Let him go

overt nationalism is a North American trait and to be fair they celebrate their past far more than we do in our rather reserved fashion

the truth is we all fought for a better world back then and some of us still want that

although even the Canadians around Toronto seem to have an authoritarian view to government a la mr ford

right-wing tosh everywhere

about time we all grew up and got on with caring for one another

kayakman, found any booze in Toronto yet? That’s about the depth of politics in Toronto before the administration has a 4 month holiday

boris by another name is mr Ford 

global trumpism

lets not descend to that level eh?

I do not see where "right" wing or other sort of "tosh" comes into it. Canadians can be proud of their forbares and the Normandy Campaign.  An uncle of mine landed on D Day as a commando attached to the Canadians.  He saw of tough they when it came to facing the 12th SS.

I think pretending they have no bottle is a bit trite and any Canadian with any history will be able to tell you chapter an verse.

4 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

This really smacks of desperation and is not worthy of a debate of any sophistication. I would suggest that the twists and turns of the expansion debate are to you becoming debilitating. I do also wonder at the constant promotion of RU in your articles and whether your  real interest lies in RL.

I would be genuinely interested in noting your own hopes and aspirations for RL and what you would really like to see. I imagine I'm not alone.

Good luck Manxman because, he didn't answer me, when I asked him, the same question.

All we've ever heard him say is something to the effect that promoting RL in a new area is impossible, because no-one who's not already interested will ever be interested in the game.

Why? Because everyone else in the world prefers Soccer or Rah Rah or something else and always will.

So the best we can hope for is to eke out a few more years of steady decline until the game disappears from planet earth forever.

Its hardly inspiring stuff, from a self-proclaimed (and know-it-all) champion of Rugby League.

Incidentally, I noticed that Cumbrian clubs are now looking to Nigeria for new players rather than develop their own. Maybe Toronto and Ottawa could look to Peru, or Colombia, or Brazil? 

3 hours ago, krakauer said:

They hate you because you're TWP fan. Get it ffs. 

Why would you hate somebody for being a fan of a rugby club?...someone you do not know and have never met?   Its pathetic.

4 minutes ago, krakauer said:

Racism? ?

It is clearly anti-Toronto racism and anti-Canadian bias. It is also anti-canine and supports cruelty to animals.

It is overtly prejudicial and deserves an inquiry by INTERPOL...when do I get my beer token from Man of Kent?

14 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

I do also wonder at the constant promotion of RU in your articles and whether your  real interest lies in RL.

The validity of Canadian RL  expanding our game is the question, it's a pathetic trick to try to make the question about me personally.

You know full well I do not promote RU, I only reflect it is a massive success compared to RL in Canada, as much as I wish this was not the case.

9 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Good luck Manxman because, he didn't answer me, when I asked him, the same question.

All we've ever heard him say is.....

Once again you can't have a go at the proposal CRU is making great strides whilst Canada RL is Leigh rebadged as Toronto (superleagues view) so you try to discredit me instead.

What I would like to see is Canada RL developing RL players from Grid Iron "pretty quickly" as Perez promised and thus expand  the player pool so we can start thinking about two clubs from North America. Once that happens I'd like to see Canadian TV start to take interest and pay for some coverage, then we can take things from there.

I would really like to see what Mr. Perez set out to achieve actually happening, But it has not happened, it has failed, which is sad.

What I don't wan't to happen is the failure be declared a success and more phoney clubs buy up squads from here and displace genuine clubs in Superleague. This is because the genuine Professional English clubs underpin the SKY contract and develop players for the game. The more you replace them with phoney Canadian clubs the more the player development system suffers here, and the more the SKY contract is threatened.

You two need to grow up a bit and accept reality that the American dream has failed, Rugby league develops players and wins TV contracts here in England with English clubs. We are stuck with that reality.

What is your problem Gentlemen, are the dreams of what could be in your heads outweighing your ability to accept the reality  Perez himself promised players and TV deals to expand the game but has failed to deliver??

Now you two answer my question - how will RL survive here if we simply allow NA clubs to just elbow out English clubs without contributing players or TV money??

15 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Their business plan was to aim for Superleague, but it was to get there with a player development programme and a TV deal which most transatlantic enthusiasts like to forget. You forget like others that SL bosses came out not so long ago and stated TWP would offer no new players, no TV money and a big headache scheduling matches up to Easter.

The interview was far from "Fascinating" it was the usual free-ride in which Perez could predict and even promise anything for the future and he did this as usual. 

Oh, yes, Perez is full of it.

I must say Super League does seem happy to conduct a controlled experiment whereby if/when Toronto are promoted they do so at Arygle’s expense (no TV money, travel covered). 

If they turn out to be a mayfly, so be it. Not a financial disaster. If they are a success, I would expect more sponsorship revenue to flow into the game and, in time, maybe even some Canadian players in the team!

I’m happy for them to give it a go even though I’m yet to be convinced they will get their TV deal (UK ratings for their games have apparently been on the slide)  & can be a profitable venture.

Wouldn’t fret about others clubs that don’t actually exist yet, especially as SL wants a quota system.

16 hours ago, The Parksider said:
1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

wins TV contracts here in England with English clubs. We are stuck with that reality

Dave Woods was clear (in one of the only "intriguing" comments) that the next TV deal will certainly be a lot smaller. 

Contradicting yourself again. You advocate for English clubs and believe that is the only way forward but acknowledge that by doing so the next tv deal will be smaller. 

Archived