Is this the start of youth Grassroots in Canada

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I'm holding you to your promise...and you to mine.  Why are you being critical of the attempts by the Wolfpack to get the grassroots going?

I'm not , I think it's great , but it isn't what is needed right now , RL players in 40 years is great but won't solve the problem of filling more SL teams right now 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I'm not , I think it's great , but it isn't what is needed right now , RL players in 40 years is great but won't solve the problem of filling more SL teams right now 

Now lets get this right...lets be serious...are you suggesting that there are not enough current players in the Pros and Semi Pros across the globe to fill two more SL teams?...do you honestly expect me to buy that?

On 11/06/2019 at 05:46, fighting irish said:

1. I'm glad you think that the story about these kids playing in Canada is indeed great news. I don't know why you think a similar tale from the M62 would be less newsworthy.

2. I certainly don't want to curtail your involvement in any debate on any subject. 

3. I am absolutely convinced that not a single contributer wants to see any reduction in the number, quality or span of British Rugby League clubs, quite the opposite. No-one here is advocating uncontrolled North American expansion to the detriment of UK rugby league.

4. Are you really surprised that people see you as anti-expansionist? When at every opportunity you've damned Toronto to hell?

5. Do you really expect Brian Noble to keep "players of talent" from North America if they can't compete?

6.There is a problem of a lack of Pro player development in North America, point taken. There's one here too.

7. Most people on here are interested not only in seeing their side win the grand final but in planting seeds that will ensure the long term survival and growth and prosperity of the game for years and years to come. They certainly don't want to see any further reduction, here our abroad.

8. You, sadly, seem resigned to the inevitable death of our game. 

1. I've told you. This news is being used to pretend there is a player development system in Canada now so everything is fine now and TWP can roll into Superleague followed by Ottawa.

2. If you want to debate with me then why join in with the baying crowd? You have no idea. I have supported every GB and French expansionist effort that ever existed since Fulham and got massive stick on here for three years for a deep support of Celtic Crusaders and Welsh expansion. You haven't met the real anti-expansionists yet. Crusaders really did expand the game in Britain and the junior development was fantastic. The WRL put up details of all the new junior clubs on their website and a poster called Swansea Jack used to tell us about it as IIRC he refereed junior games. 

3. You have missed 90% of the debate and 20 posters on here are all for North American clubs marching into Superleague, have you not read the myriad of posts condemning the "Useless M62 clubs" They even name them they are Castleford, Wakefield, Salford, Widnes, HKR and Huddersfield whom people call "Village clubs". Have you not looked up the Perez plan where he says we need six NA clubs in Superleague to get a North American TV deal. How utterly wrong could you be?

4. They paint me as anti-expansionist to be able to deride me, and you have fallen for that one and joined in. Do you not realise that when this started "Expansion" was defined between TWP & Perez and the RFL as TWP "expanding the player pool and the TV deal" All TWP have done is expand the travel distances clubs have to make. They have failed to produce a single NA player (the one's they had they sacked) or a single TV dollar. They pay to be on TV. That's not expansion is it?

5. They can compete, 4 NA players were part of the TWP squad that took them to the Championship. Those lads could still be playing in the championship, I think a couple were internationals. What you miss is Argyle isn't interested in player development his (lack of)actions speak louder than his words.

6. There is NO pro player development in NA but there is just enough here for a 12 club Superleague and a Big TV contract. As Pearson and McManus said NA clubs do not underpin the SKY contract so we cannot have NA clubs shipping 30 players out from here and "putting them in American jerseys" do you not get what they are saying? That's not expansion...... 

7. You don't speak for "most people" nor do I but it's clear most fans of Huddersfield, HKR, Widnes, Bradford, Cas, Wakey, and Fartown do not want six North American clubs taking their players and condemning their clubs to the Championship. Why then would these clubs run academies just to send the best to North America? Why would the fans want to buy SKY subscriptions any more? Would English fans welcome TWP, Ottawa New York? They were stone cold on London, Celtic Crusaders and Catalans when they first visited Headingley?

8. Finally you don't speak for me and so far you don't even listen, you just follow the mob, but if you care to listen and not tell me what I think then my stance is we blew the chance to make this great game national when we failed to accommodate Welsh expansion in the 1900's. Since then we have become a strong "regional game" in which nearly all our clubs have roots back to Victorian times, and deep roots now in their communities. You start exchanging those clubs for phoney clubs and you kill the game here. TWP in Leeds out?

It's up to you if you want a proper conversation.......I mostly get insults?

2 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

1. I've told you. This news is being used to pretend there is a player development system in Canada now so everything is fine now and TWP can roll into Superleague followed by Ottawa.

2. If you want to debate with me then why join in with the baying crowd? You have no idea. I have supported every GB and French expansionist effort that ever existed since Fulham and got massive stick on here for three years for a deep support of Celtic Crusaders and Welsh expansion. You haven't met the real anti-expansionists yet. Crusaders really did expand the game in Britain and the junior development was fantastic. The WRL put up details of all the new junior clubs on their website and a poster called Swansea Jack used to tell us about it as IIRC he refereed junior games. 

3. You have missed 90% of the debate and 20 posters on here are all for North American clubs marching into Superleague, have you not read the myriad of posts condemning the "Useless M62 clubs" They even name them they are Castleford, Wakefield, Salford, Widnes, HKR and Huddersfield whom people call "Village clubs". Have you not looked up the Perez plan where he says we need six NA clubs in Superleague to get a North American TV deal. How utterly wrong could you be?

4. They paint me as anti-expansionist to be able to deride me, and you have fallen for that one and joined in. Do you not realise that when this started "Expansion" was defined between TWP & Perez and the RFL as TWP "expanding the player pool and the TV deal" All TWP have done is expand the travel distances clubs have to make. They have failed to produce a single NA player (the one's they had they sacked) or a single TV dollar. They pay to be on TV.

5. They can compete, 4 NA players were part of the TWP squad that took them to the Championship. Those lads could still be playing in the championship, I think a couple were internationals. What you miss is Argyle isn't interested in player development his actions speak louder than his words.

6. There is NO pro player development in NA but there is just enough here for a 12 club Superleague and a Big TV contract. As Pearson and McManus said NA clubs do not underpin the SKY contract so we cannot have NA clubs shipping 30 players out from here and "putting them in American jerseys" do you not get what they are saying? That's not expansion...... 

7. You don't speak for "most people" nor do I but it's clear most fans of Huddersfield, HKR, Widnes, Bradford, Cas, Wakey, and Fartown do not want six North American clubs taking their players and condemning their clubs to the Championship. Why then would these clubs run academies just to send the best to North America? Why would the fans want to buy SKY subscriptions any more? 

8. Finally you don't speak for me and so far you don't even listen, you just follow the mob, but if you care to listen and not tell me what I think then my stance is we blew the chance to make this great game national when we failed to accommodate Welsh expansion in the 1900's. Since then we have become a strong "regional game" in which nearly all our clubs have roots back to Victorian times, and deep roots now in their communities. You start exchanging those clubs for phoney clubs and you kill the game here. TWP in Leeds out?

It's up to you if you want a proper conversation.......I mostly get insults?

Bet you were up all night Parky going by the length of your latest screed.

Just now, frank said:

Bet you were up all night Parky going by the length of your latest screed.

Unlikely. He has it saved in a document so he just has to copy and paste.

On point number one, absolutely no one has said that, anywhere. He's made it up to start off his faux outrage. Can't be bothered with the rest.

10 hours ago, Michael1812 said:

I guess you missed the past 100 years of hockey. 

Did you really reply with this? Obviously I'm aware of Canada's love of hockey. Ireland has the same love in with the GAA But yet we still manage to make a huge impact in the sporting world with a fraction of the population despite the GAA taking most of our best athletes (don't let it's amateur status fool you). I could be wrong but I've always felt Canada has underachieved in sports. 

11 hours ago, Onieda FC said:

02.) Canada RL is an amateur, volunteer run organization without two thin dimes to rub together. We're all tired of the tent story. The Wolfpack have partnered with local rugby organizations in Ontario, so give it a rest. 

So Canada RL are skint , Toronto are owned by a billionaire throwing millions a year into a RL team , but he instead has partnered with RU organisations in Canada ?

Can you not see the problem some RL fans and indeed possibly administrators have with that if we are to believe Mr Argyle is genuine in wanting to develop RL in Canada and the US ?

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Now lets get this right...lets be serious...are you suggesting that there are not enough current players in the Pros and Semi Pros across the globe to fill two more SL teams?...do you honestly expect me to buy that?

This is what we are told by coaches and owners of the top tier of clubs within the game , you would normally assume them to be the ' experts ' in this , funnily enough Scotchy has for many years suggested exactly that when fans of heartland clubs have asked why their clubs could not move into an expanded SL , but now it seems he believes there are more than enough to go around , personally I do believe we can accommodate 2 French and 2 NA clubs , albeit with a slight drop in quality 

Participation levels are already under threat in the UK , that ties in with elite player production , that is why any major changes need to be thought through very carefully 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

This is what we are told by coaches and owners of the top tier of clubs within the game , you would normally assume them to be the ' experts ' in this , funnily enough Scotchy has for many years suggested exactly that when fans of heartland clubs have asked why their clubs could not move into an expanded SL , but now it seems he believes there are more than enough to go around , personally I do believe we can accommodate 2 French and 2 NA clubs , albeit with a slight drop in quality 

Participation levels are already under threat in the UK , that ties in with elite player production , that is why any major changes need to be thought through very carefully 

So it could easily be done..OK...now we are starting to get somewhere.  Keep me out of the arguments between you and Scotchy; not my concern. Clearly, if 4 new clubs could be accommodated, 2 easily could.

12 hours ago, Onieda FC said:

English rugby fans seem to have a huge problem with where players come from, if I had a quarter for every "oh they're not really Canadian" gripe about Toronto I could finally start up Boston Ironsides RLFC and rent out Gillette Stadium. 

No, clearly there are no more rugby league players anywhere and all expansion must halt immediately. I'll call Elstone, you call the NRL guys. Someone will have to call the Tongans, and I'm not doing that. 

Please dont lump us all in with those insular luddites, some of us are able to view the world from beyond our bedroom curtain and see possibilities and opportunities rather than doom and gloom.

17 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

So it could easily be done..OK...now we are starting to get somewhere.  Keep me out of the arguments between you and Scotchy; not my concern. Clearly, if 4 new clubs could be accommodated, 2 easily could.

But not according to the experts within the game , my opinion isn't relevant , neither is yours or Scotchys 

By 4 clubs I was including 2 from France , where of course their record of producing top quality RL players isn't great ATM , but could/should improve with another top tier team you would hope 

11 minutes ago, dkw said:

Stop embarrassing yourself you numpty. Of course its a huge sport worldwide, much bigger than RL.

Major as in football terms ? No it isn't , but you have your usual pop at anything Leigh connected if it makes you happy , nobody cares 

23 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

But still with a drop in quality , acceptable on my part , possibly not on others 

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Major as in football terms ? No it isn't , but you have your usual pop at anything Leigh connected if it makes you happy , nobody cares 

Who said it was major as in football terms, who mentioned Leigh? Thats the strawest of strawman posts ive ever seen, but you keep on embarrassing yourself if you like, its very humorous.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Who said it was major as in football terms, who mentioned Leigh? Thats the strawest of strawman posts ive ever seen, but you keep on embarrassing yourself if you like, its very humorous.

You going to ' stalk ' me round the boards today ? 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You going to ' stalk ' me round the boards today ? 

I think your losing your little mind pal, Ive never stalked anyone, just responded to your usual embarrassing nonsense. Now, who mentioned Leigh, and who mentioned football?

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Making things up again to just bring my name in to it. 

I think you will find that I have consistently said that SL should expand and add clubs to it as and when they are ready. 

The reason why you need to deliberately, mis-state my position is to disingenuously conflate elite player production and heartland clubs I have previously said shouldn't be promoted to SL. 

You have stated many times that if a player isn't already in SL , they aren't SL quality , the conclusion of that is we don't have any spare SL quality players available , you that said it , not me , but as it seems die wants to stalk me around today I'll get some other stuff done till later 

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

I think your losing your little mind pal, Ive never stalked anyone, just responded to your usual embarrassing nonsense. Now, who mentioned Leigh, and who mentioned football?

So it's a ' yes ' then , no worries , bye 

Archived