Where is the Championship final being played?

1 hour ago, Lamport Life said:

Can someone please post proof of the numerous claims about the location? The RFL link only shows the format; it does not overtly indicate who hosts the final game.

A couple of posters said it was in the League Express. If so please post a screenshot of the announcement.

I have also asked on other sites and I have yet to see any verifiable proof.

I was watching Rugby League Backchat and it was Martyn Saddler who stated it had been announced that the final is being held at the home ground of the team that qualifies for the final 1st.

On the current table Toronto would play the winners of Toulouse and Fev in Toronto.

The winner of that game will then host the final.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Pudsey said:

How can any match with a weeks notice be played in Toronto.  Would take longer than that to organise. Any part time players would have to get time off work

Dunno, ask London Broncos - they went to Toronto and won promotion on a weeks notice just 8 months ago.

On 17/06/2019 at 08:54, Davo5 said:

I wonder if there would be so much concern  if Fev or Leigh were top of the league.

Yes Dav, it is a final it should be at a neutral venue, the rules of this competition gives a clear advantage to the teams who finish higher in the division, why should that advantage be extended even further the final, what is your opinion of the SL Grand Final should that be changed to the home of the highest placed team?

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes Dav, it is a final it should be at a neutral venue, the rules of this competition gives a clear advantage to the teams who finish higher in the division, why should that advantage be extended even further the final, what is your opinion of the SL Grand Final should that be changed to the home of the highest placed team?

Harry the issue is not the SL Grand Final, so that point is clearly moot.  What they have decided with the Championship is very fair and you know it....plus we want the game in Toronto to cheer our Canadian boys on....come on, be a sport Harry.

23 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Dunno, ask London Broncos - they went to Toronto and won promotion on a weeks notice just 8 months ago.

They were full time RL players Gav, it was their sole occupation, no other bosses to request permission from, I believe you informed us you were in some kind of official capacity at York, surely that wouldn't have escaped your notice, even if they were in a different division.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

They were full time RL players Gav, it was their sole occupation, no other bosses to request permission from, I believe you informed us you were in some kind of official capacity at York, surely that wouldn't have escaped your notice, even if they were in a different division.

What relevance is that?

Everyone knew the rules of the division when we all started (although granted the same was said last year!) ?

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Harry the issue is not the SL Grand Final, so that point is clearly moot.  What they have decided with the Championship is very fair and you know it....plus we want the game in Toronto to cheer our Canadian boys on....come on, be a sport Harry.

No K'man, anyone with a modicum of the sense of fairplay would say it is not correct to play a final at any other place than neutral venue, now I realise after last year that your sphincter will be pulsating at an increased rate at the mere mention of The Wolfpack not being awarded as much help as is possible as in playing the final in Toronto, but it ain't right, as I informed you previously Championship finals are at neutral venue's never should they be played at the home of one of either of the participating teams.

It seems either the RFL told only Kyakman & Martyn Saddler about this or they made an official statement and only them 2 were listening......then, after, decided not to inform fans and clubs who didnt catch the initial announcement by not putting it on their website (nor any clubs website) 

4 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

What relevance is that?

Everyone knew the rules of the division when we all started (although granted the same was said last year!) ?

But is a final not an extraordinary fixture in the list of fixtures, no team knows for certain if they will make it or not, you are quite correct in saying that they knew the rules but that was for the regular season fixtures giving quite a lot more preparation time than 7 days, so please tell me when and if it at all the venue has yet been absolutely finalised where the final will take place, we have had a lot of hearsay but no official statement as I have yet seen from the governing body. I have looked on the RFL website and if it is on there I have missed it.

6 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The Operational Rules state that all play off matches (including the final) will be played at the home ground of the highest ranked of the teams involved, which has always meant the one that finished higher in the league.

That's correct, unless otherwise determined by the RFL, well spotted, ridiculously hidden away that info.....

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

But is a final not an extraordinary fixture in the list of fixtures, no team knows for certain if they will make it or not, you are quite correct in saying that they knew the rules but that was for the regular season fixtures giving quite a lot more preparation time than 7 days, so please tell me when and if it at all the venue has yet been absolutely finalised where the final will take place, we have had a lot of hearsay but no official statement as I have yet seen from the governing body. I have looked on the RFL website and if it is on there I have missed it.

It is in the Rules, after all, hidden away, unless otherwise determined by the RFL....

9 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The Operational Rules state that all play off matches (including the final) will be played at the home ground of the highest ranked of the teams involved, which has always meant the one that finished higher in the league.

And that has always been the case with play off games, but come the final that has been at a neutral venue.

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

It is in the Rules, after all, hidden away, unless otherwise determined by the RFL....

So OK then, but the RFL unless they have a preference to award any particular team an advantage could determine that the final will be at a neutral venue, just saying!

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And that has always been the case with play off games, but come the final that has been at a neutral venue.

Really? The last 3 season's Championship Shield finals?

The Operational Rules are pretty specific regarding home advantage for the highest ranked club (unless, as Smudger says, the RFL determine otherwise) in all games of the SL, Champ and L1 play offs, except for the SL GF which is specifically mentioned as being different (at a venue to be determined by The RFL).

Archived