Relegation a real threat. Time for change

9' oller

19 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

Don’t speak Latin on here , if you hadn’t noticed , were no skolars

Thanks - now corrected. I blame jet-lag (really!).

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

BSJ, interested to know who age has been catching up on? OK Brev coming up 36 but still fit as a butcher's you know what, and Dom Brambani 33/34, Rettie hasn't played for over a month, JC had a couple of weeks off. That only leaves Brownie and Manning who are the wrong side of 28ish who are picked regularly. I would agree with you regarding funding, no team outside the the top 5 this time is going to be blessed with a wedge, so yes, it's going to be tough attracting new players, and I think we, more than most will need some as I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 5 of ours move on.

The problem would not be 5 players moving on but replacing them with 5 better players. Which players will move on I could give you 5 players who I would like to see move on but I know that a lot of supporters would disagree with 4 out of 5 of them.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

23 hours ago, phildog said:

BSJ, interested to know who age has been catching up on? OK Brev coming up 36 but still fit as a butcher's you know what, and Dom Brambani 33/34, Rettie hasn't played for over a month, JC had a couple of weeks off. That only leaves Brownie and Manning who are the wrong side of 28ish who are picked regularly. I would agree with you regarding funding, no team outside the the top 5 this time is going to be blessed with a wedge, so yes, it's going to be tough attracting new players, and I think we, more than most will need some as I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 5 of ours move on.

I don't like to single out individual players PD, as I don't think it is the proper thing to do. Certain players and positions are more important to a team than others and it is in these that players may become more vulnerable to the rigours of ageing. Sadly I have seen it happen to so many of my heroes over the years who I had hoped would wax eternal.

Just my opinion though.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

My point exactly Ernie, for the reasons mentioned. Low position, little money, anyone coming in will be surplus requirements somewhere else rather than being chomping At the bit to come to Batley, no better how great a club it is off the field. It would be unfair to mention names but we will all gave a list ahead few lists will be reasonably similar.

40 minutes ago, phildog said:

My point exactly Ernie, for the reasons mentioned. Low position, little money, anyone coming in will be surplus requirements somewhere else rather than being chomping At the bit to come to Batley, no better how great a club it is off the field. It would be unfair to mention names but we will all gave a list ahead few lists will be reasonably similar.

but would your list be smaller if the players making basic errors had the benifit of been coached by a quality coach for 12 months,i can only think of a couple i would  have swopped but their game as come on this past few months so who knows,lets not blame the players or the coach as the calls come from much higher that lay the foundations of each season.some wrong and very few right.

Well I for one would like to see the traditional town crest, Latin and all, back on the shirt, but that won't alter anything to do with this thread!!

Rochdale are gone.

Do barrow have it in them to launch a revival. No mugs and can perform

Swinton are putting together a real rich vein of form (peaked too early?) can they keep it up.

Widnes. Strange one. win some early big fixtures but now no man's land.

Rams. Took Sheffield close Friday (only wish we could do same) will they suddenly go into battle mode for all out survival. Do their loanees care.

Batley. Whether playing for club, themselves or matt. Who knows competion for places, relatively healthy and still capable of points. Do we go on winning spree like last year when fancied sides relax or know of their final placings

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

7 minutes ago, 9' oller said:

Rochdale are gone.

Do barrow have it in them to launch a revival. No mugs and can perform

Swinton are putting together a real rich vein of form (peaked too early?) can they keep it up.

Widnes. Strange one. win some early big fixtures but now no man's land.

Rams. Took Sheffield close Friday (only wish we could do same) will they suddenly go into battle mode for all out survival. Do their loanees care.

Batley. Whether playing for club, themselves or matt. Who knows competion for places, relatively healthy and still capable of points. Do we go on winning spree like last year when fancied sides relax or know of their final placings

I’ve no problem with the loanees it’s the the contracted players I worry about.

Batley today had 18 fit players, the 17 on duty and Tomlinson so with Manning out next week suspended we will be struggling for a side. Hopefully some of the injured players will be back to boost the squad. Maybe another Giant stepping up.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

On 09/07/2019 at 10:39, Keep The Faith said:

Why would Lingard want to ruin his legend reputation? 

A coach with connections tough motivational skills and knows the league we won’t be far off and batley’s aim for the top 6... batley have been a championship club since day one and have been in the top 6 a few times now... 

Dare I suggest a Coach who has had experience since 2001 in various levels of coaching, has been a skills and development Coach in Premiership Rugby Union, has had both Championship and Super League experience as a Head Coach, has been England's assistant Head Coach, and has a winning mentality.with an open and forthright personality ( and a track record of developing young talent) - Mr Denis Betts.

13 minutes ago, Bulldog Days said:

Dare I suggest a Coach who has had experience since 2001 in various levels of coaching, has been a skills and development Coach in Premiership Rugby Union, has had both Championship and Super League experience as a Head Coach, has been England's assistant Head Coach, and has a winning mentality.with an open and forthright personality ( and a track record of developing young talent) - Mr Denis Betts.

He’s coaching at Newcastle with Simon Finnagan but if he was a free agent i’d of accepted the name 

17 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

He’s coaching at Newcastle with Simon Finnagan but if he was a free agent i’d of accepted the name 

And Newcastle have said that his future is undecided after the end of this season whne they are going to "re-evaluate their strategy".

Oh, I think that I missed off "going forward" from that statement.

On 16/07/2019 at 15:59, Blind side johnny said:

And Newcastle have said that his future is undecided after the end of this season whne they are going to "re-evaluate their strategy".

Oh, I think that I missed off "going forward" from that statement.

To translate: "if we don't gain promotion he's gone."

Archived