The Ashes Thread - Cricket

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Watching via BBC Live Text. Interesting debate on the team for NZ. Suggesting something like this:

1. Burns 2. Sibley 3. Denly 4. Root 5. Stokes 6. Pope 7. Foakes/Buttler 8. Curran 9. Archer 10. Leach 11. Broad/Anderson/Wood

Thoughts?

I like that 4,5,6 . I can see that happening . I can see Buttler keeping at 7 , with Foakes as understudy , and I can see Bairstow being told he’s had enough chances and out the team but in the squad as he’s flayed runs in NZ . I hope Jimmy and Wood go to NZ , there’s a bit of silly talk about picking n choosing tours as this isn’t in the test championship 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I like that 4,5,6 . I can see that happening . I can see Buttler keeping at 7 , with Foakes as understudy , and I can see Bairstow being told he’s had enough chances and out the team but in the squad as he’s flayed runs in NZ . I hope Jimmy and Wood go to NZ , there’s a bit of silly talk about picking n choosing tours as this isn’t in the test championship 

You could check Bairstow's Test figures compared to Buttler's. Bairstow is significantly better.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

43 minutes ago, Stan Doffarf said:

You could check Bairstow's Test figures compared to Buttler's. Bairstow is significantly better.

I don’t think they’re significantly better , and his returns are diminishing . In fact he’s had one good year in 2016 . And he’s had a lot more chances , I don’t think he can have any complaints if he was left out . It seems a bit of a luxury to have basically two keeper batsmen . Neither has nailed their position down , but I can see a change  there for the winter . I’ve said I like Foakes , but I can see Buttler as a keeper batsman at 7 in aggressive mode , . He’s looked a bit confused how to play just plonked in as a batsman down the order , almost like a spare part 

16 hours ago, Stan Doffarf said:

Could you show me where? In all tests, Bairstow averages 35 to Buttler's 33. In this series, Bairstow averages 23.7 to Buttler's 25.7. I am struggling to see a 'significant' difference anywhere there.

Anyway, good position at lunch and you feel it could end quite quickly if we get Smith out in the afternoon session. As long as he is still there, hard to relax.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Smith out for 23, and Labuschagne out for 14.

Tragically, we let Warner reach double figures, and that sort of thing shouldn't be encouraged.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wickets of no balls , the ultimate frustration . But then umpires aren’t on the case anyway warning the bowlers before hand . Still , criminal really in cricket terms but sort of sums up Woakes since Edgbaston . Don’t just beat these , smash them by a lot 

Bairstow has over 4000 test runs with six centuries, Buttler has one. I think Bairstow's poor form this series is largely down to the World Cup (where he was asked to open, a role he is unsuited to IMO) and sheer overwork. Keeping wicket in Test cricket is bloody hard work, and I feel he could do with a break. 

I'm not a fan of batting your WK in the top six, for the above reason. England's big problem is their failure to find another partner for Burns, and a couple of reliable middle order batsmen. I find it odd that Ballance, Sibley and Northeast are continually overlooked, despite consistently piling up the runs in Division 1. Ballance in particular has a pretty handy Test record, including four centuries, but seems to have been totally discarded.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

No tears to cry no feelings left

3 minutes ago, Stan Doffarf said:

Bairstow has over 4000 test runs with six centuries, Buttler has one. I think Bairstow's poor form this series is largely down to the World Cup (where he was asked to open, a role he is unsuited to IMO) and sheer overwork. Keeping wicket in Test cricket is bloody hard work, and I feel he could do with a break. 

I'm not a fan of batting your WK in the top six, for the above reason. England's big problem is their failure to find another partner for Burns, and a couple of reliable middle order batsmen. I find it odd that Ballance, Sibley and Northeast are continually overlooked, despite consistently piling up the runs in Division 1. Ballance in particular has a pretty handy Test record, including four centuries, but seems to have been totally discarded.

Agreed. I don't think it did Alec Stewart any favours, back when he was also an opening bat. He kept himself in great physical condition, but it can't have helped either side of his game, especially as England were so ordinary back then. To go from keeping wicket for hours and hours, then almost immediately coming to the crease is tough on mind and body.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

By 'eck, the Aussies didn't hang around long after Wade left did they?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Job done, finished with a cracking catch. They may have clung on to the Urn, but they didn't win the series. And what a series it was! The full-fat, red-blooded roller-coaster that limited-overs Cricket rarely delivers (World Cup Final aside).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

One hell of a Summer, overall.

Can't wait to see Archer versus the Kiwis and South Africans.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Serves them right for winning the toss and putting us in , why couldn`t they make stupid mistakes like that in the earlier tests .

That was a real Ponting of a decision, that was.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 15/09/2019 at 15:57, Stan Doffarf said:

Bairstow's form has been poor for 2 years. He can't get bat on a straight ball, it's always been a problem for him.

Him and Roy are an exceptional opening partnership in ODIs. Don't want to be messing with their techniques and putting that at risk. 

On 15/09/2019 at 18:41, gingerjon said:

Just time for the traditional Somerset somehow not winning the Championship now.

Can just see the Somerset v Essex decider in a few days being rained off in Taunton.

Archived