Brian McDermott's Big City Team League

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Loup said:

There wasn't any interest in rugby league in Toronto either, until a team came along and created a marketing strategy. From zero interest in 2015 to being among Toronto's six top-tier pro sports teams in 2019 and bigger crowds than most 100-year-old Championship clubs.

Liverpool's full of bright young fun-loving people. Create an entertaining event around a sporting team and make it the cool thing to do, along the same lines as the Wolfpack, and you could make a mint. Interest in the sport itself will follow.

The possibilities of the modern world are entirely lost on the provincial mind. 

38 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I would say they are large town to be fair. As is Wigan and St Helens etc.

What population would  a town Have to be before its classes as Large ? 150 K ? 200 ? . I think what Brian Mac is meaning is he wants Cities who are globally recognized.  The NFL are  now trying that route ,but they are only going for London I believe, because as big a brand NFL have they will will fill Spurs new stadium  but only for 8 or 9 games and the fans will be travelling from all over the country .Mac's vision will be very difficult because to many people in USA and Canada they just think " Rugby" not a code call Rugby League 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

6 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

What population would  a town Have to be before its classes as Large ? 150 K ? 200 ? . I think what Brian Mac is meaning is he wants Cities who are globally recognized.  The NFL are  now trying that route ,but they are only going for London I believe, because as big a brand NFL have they will will fill Spurs new stadium  but only for 8 or 9 games and the fans will be travelling from all over the country .Mac's vision will be very difficult because to many people in USA and Canada they just think " Rugby" not a code call Rugby League 

Of course he wants cities which are globally recognized.  If a franchise in New York is to have any hope of luring New Yorkers over to New Jersey to see a sport which is totally new to them and their region, it needs a diet of teams from globally recognized cities going to play there week in and week out to make that happen.

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a fact though isn't it. The top flight needs a critical mass of big clubs to sustain itself and in turn grow the game.

Kid across the country just aren't interested in Salford vs St Helens. Christ, kids in a proper RL city like Wakefield aren't interested either.

Aside from football which is inescapable, there is no sport in the country kids are interested in without an inherited love from their parents. If that worked, the British Ice Hockey league would be massive.

This lazy, pins in a map theory that having a big city name is going to attract thousands of fans and sponsors is what gave us Paris Saint Germain. Toronto aren't a success because they have a big city name, it's because they have some very knowledgeable and driven people with deep pockets and a good strategy. David Argyle and Eric Perez could've dropped a club almost anywhere within reason and made a good go of it because they just 'get' the business of sports.

On this forum if you even suggest that clubs based in large cities might have an easier time attracting sponsorship and investment than clubs based in small northern towns there will be people who take it as a personal insult to the small northern town.

It's amazing how many people can dismiss expansion by citing 20 year old failed PSG experiment but completely ignore the the most commercially successful club in SL who won the Challenge Cup two years ago and have produced several dozen pro players.

2 minutes ago, damp squib said:

On this forum if you even suggest that clubs based in large cities might have an easier time attracting sponsorship and investment than clubs based in small northern towns there will be people who take it as a personal insult to the small northern town.

It’s clearly not as simple as that, though. If it were London would have huge brands aligned to them, for example. 

I've had a glance at the most popular sports in Canada and not all of the participating places are large cities.

Then again,not all of those sports are televised.

Unless people are at first interested in the sport,then watching clubs/teams representing large cities,or small towns,won't attract the viewers.

I suppose when it comes to sponsorship York have recently received sponsorship from the local Hilton Hotel.Large cities may be able to attract that slice of sponsorship when smaller places don't have such establishments.

But the sport of rugby league has to be 'out there' in the first place.

Growing the sport,and enlarging the geographical footprint with participation and spectating should be at the forefront,before the broadcasting follows.

Otherwise,having the names of large cities will be futile.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

4 hours ago, Loup said:

There wasn't any interest in rugby league in Toronto either, until a team came along and created a marketing strategy. From zero interest in 2015 to being among Toronto's six top-tier pro sports teams in 2019 and bigger crowds than most 100-year-old Championship clubs.

Liverpool's full of bright young fun-loving people. Create an entertaining event around a sporting team and make it the cool thing to do, along the same lines as the Wolfpack, and you could make a mint. Interest in the sport itself will follow.

I appreciate it could happen in North America, which is what you’re most familiar with, but you simply don’t understand English sporting culture, and especially Liverpool’s sporting culture. You could relocate an NFL team there and few people in the city would care about it, it’s just Liverpool and Everton and always will be. 

20 minutes ago, damp squib said:

It's amazing how many people can dismiss expansion by citing 20 year old failed PSG experiment but completely ignore the the most commercially successful club in SL who won the Challenge Cup two years ago and have produced several dozen pro players.

If this is referring to my post, I'm not dismissing expansion, far from it actually.

Also I'd like to see some figures to back up the claim that Catalans are the most commercially successful club in SL over someone like Leeds.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I appreciate it could happen in North America, which is what you’re most familiar with, but you simply don’t understand English sporting culture, and especially Liverpool’s sporting culture. You could relocate an NFL team there and few people in the city would care about it, it’s just Liverpool and Everton and always will be. 

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Of course he wants cities which are globally recognized.  If a franchise in New York is to have any hope of luring New Yorkers over to New Jersey to see a sport which is totally new to them and their region, it needs a diet of teams from globally recognized cities going to play there week in and week out to make that happen.

Which cities in Europe could you place an NFL team to and they would become the major club in that city?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

11 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Which cities in Europe could you place an NFL team to and they would become the major club in that city?

A few probably, but none in England, Scotland or Wales. Well when I say none you probably could in Ely or St Aseph, but not in a big city. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A few probably, but none in England, Scotland or Wales. Well when I say none you probably could in Ely or St Aseph, but not in a big city. 

Indeed, I did write "Europe".

I tend to agree to a certain extent. I think the NFL would be a huge team in any English city and pretty much any European city. Bit, they would require a huge economy.

Which European cities are there that have a good economy, but lack an absolute top level sports team?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

9 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Rugby League has been played out on a rectangular lump of grass for 124 years and not in a boardroom or on a map, long may that continue. 

A champion of the amateur ideal! Very well.

9 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I tend to agree to a certain extent. I think the NFL would be a huge team in any English city and pretty much any European city. Bit, they would require a huge economy.

Which European cities are there that have a good economy, but lack an absolute top level sports team?

Yeah I know you said Europe but I don’t understand the sporting culture in other countries so didn’t feel qualified to comment. Agreed an NFL team would be big in most British cities but I don’t think they’d overtake the local football team any time soon. 

As for Europe, Vienna and the Scandinavian capitals sprang to mind but really I have no idea how they’d view an NFL team. 

27 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Leeds, Dresden, Essen are some of the biggest without a top flight football team. Believe NFL is pretty popular in Germany too. 

Novosibirsk in Siberia though is the obvious candidate - at 1.5m it's twice the size of the others!

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yeah I know you said Europe but I don’t understand the sporting culture in other countries so didn’t feel qualified to comment. Agreed an NFL team would be big in most British cities but I don’t think they’d overtake the local football team any time soon. 

As for Europe, Vienna and the Scandinavian capitals sprang to mind but really I have no idea how they’d view an NFL team. 

Oslo, Stockholm, Vienna and Copenhagen are all very wealthy cities without top class sport. The team sport they have is in rather small time parochial leagues without any international aspect. Basel could be thrown in the mix too!

10 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Leeds, Dresden, Essen are some of the biggest without a top flight football team. Believe NFL is pretty popular in Germany too. 

Novosibirsk in Siberia though is the obvious candidate - at 1.5m it's twice the size of the others!

Leeds is pretty competitive in sports terms, with Leeds United and Rhinos. But, a good call. Also, Essen (I have doubts about the Novosibirisk economy).

10 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Oslo, Stockholm, Vienna and Copenhagen are all very wealthy cities without top class sport. The team sport they have is in rather small time parochial leagues without any international aspect. Basel could be thrown in the mix too!

Leeds is pretty competitive in sports terms, with Leeds United and Rhinos. But, a good call. Also, Essen (I have doubts about the Novosibirisk economy).

Those Scandinavian cities have top flight football teams. 

2 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

There is no place for medium to large sized northern English towns, nor small to medium sized northern English Cities in this kind of League. So folk should stop trying to justify the inclusion of Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, Salford, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Castleford, Hull or Hull. There's definitely not a place for Bradford or York either. As far as the North of England goes.....it's Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and Newcastle and that's including their metro Counties. End of story. 

26 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Those Scandinavian cities have top flight football teams. 

They are small teams in decent sized cities. 

Archived