2020 Kangaroos Tour

Eddie

Just now, scotchy1 said:

The Knights would be pointless. If Club games are dead, and i see the logic, especially if the clubs arent in the play offs it could be nigh on 3 months that the players are training for, then the additional games should be other international sides or rep sides. 

A tour which is the 3 ashes games, Wales and France would barely be a challenge, certainly not how a tour should. 

If we want to win the World Cup in 2021, then putting some of our fringe players (i.e. Knights) up against the best players in the World would make absolute sense. Why would you miss that opportunity with so few tests before the World Cup. We have an old squad and we don't have many games to test ourselves.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

From the narrative of the tour it doesnt really make sense, im also not sure who would bother to attend to see the reserves play Australia when the main even is available. 

If they held it in Cumbria or somewhere like Widnes local people would turn out I reckon, it would be ok to have 7-8,000 there if the ground was full and rocking. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If they held it in Cumbria or somewhere like Widnes local people would turn out I reckon, it would be ok to have 7-8,000 there if the ground was full and rocking. 

Where in Cumbria holds 7000 to 8000, none of the Rugby Grounds I believe have that capacity at moment. 

HW

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

If we want to win the World Cup in 2021, then putting some of our fringe players (i.e. Knights) up against the best players in the World would make absolute sense. Why would you miss that opportunity with so few tests before the World Cup. We have an old squad and we don't have many games to test ourselves.

The last time the Knights, or England A as it was then, played Australia it was a great game and they only narrowly lost 22-26 in front of a 7k crowd in London. There is no reason it cant be done again.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

The last time the Knights, or England A as it was then, played Australia it was a great game and they only narrowly lost 22-26 in front of a 7k crowd in London. There is no reason it cant be done again.

The team also included some players that would become stalwarts of the England team going forward:

England A

Shaun Briscoe, Mark Calderwood, Martin Gleeson, Martin Aspinwall, Ade Gardner, Chris Thorman, Rob Burrow, Andy Lynch, Matt Diskin, Rob Parker, Danny Tickle, Lee Radford, Sean O'Loughlin (c). Res - Danny McGuire, Mick Higham, Danny Sculthorpe, Gareth Hock. Coach - John Kear

Australia 

Darren Lockyer (c), Matt Sing, Shannon Hegarty, Michael De Vere, Luke Lewis, Craig Gower, Brett Kimmorley, Joel Clinton, Danny Buderus, Petero Civoniceva, Craig Fitzgibbon, Steve Simpson, Luke Ricketson. Res - Michael Crocker, Trent Waterhouse, Willie Mason, Robbie Kearns

1 hour ago, Havenwarrior said:

Where in Cumbria holds 7000 to 8000, none of the Rugby Grounds I believe have that capacity at moment. 

HW

Doesn’t your ground hold 7,500? Have to admit I thought Barrow’s was a lot bigger than it is, Wikipedia says 5,000. 

32 minutes ago, Damien said:

Exactly, if Bennett is just going to play teams like this, we need opportunities for our best young talent to be tested. This is an ideal opportunity. It would get 15k at Headingley easily. 

I like the idea of the Knights getting a game as then you can take it to a new venue which wont be served by the Test matches. 

I'm not sure Wales, Scotland or Ireland have earned a test nor would they be good experiences. 

3 vs England, 1 versus Eng Knights, plus the LLS and Grand Final winners to start the tour would be an attractive tour. If LLS and GF are the same, then GF losers. At least these clubs are playing until the end of the year and it should be easy to keep their players fit and fans interested.

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Leeds v NZ got 20k+ in 2015 didn't it?

Perhaps headingley would be too small

Maybe but it would create an intimidating atmosphere for England Knights to play against the Aussies. The tests should all be in 40k+ stadiums.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Maybe but it would create an intimidating atmosphere for England Knights to play against the Aussies. The tests should all be in 40k+ stadiums.

Do you think we’ll get > 40k for the tests? I know NZ aren’t as attractive as Australia but the average of our three home tests against them last year was only 25k. It might be better to have the games in full / almost full stadiums with rocking atmospheres and ‘only’ 35,000 there than in much bigger grounds with a load of empty seats? Even if it’s sold out and some people who don’t want to don’t get to go. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you think we’ll get > 40k for the tests? I know NZ aren’t as attractive as Australia but the average of our three home tests against them last year was only 25k. It might be better to have the games in full / almost full stadiums with rocking atmospheres and ‘only’ 35,000 there than in much bigger grounds with a load of empty seats? Even if it’s sold out and some people who don’t want to don’t get to go. 

The Ashes is what everyone has been craving about isn't it? If not now, when??

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

History has shown time and again that if you go to big stadiums in big cities then people see these matches as big events and more people are attracted that wouldn't normally be so. Crowds rise accordingly. Ashes crowds doubled from 1982 to 1990 with a losing GB team by playing at big stadia. Stick to Wigan, Hull and Huddersfield and don't be surprised if people see the sport as small time and have little interest in going.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

History has shown time and again that if you go to big stadiums in big cities then people see these matches as big events and more people are attracted that wouldn't normally be so. Crowds rise accordingly. Ashes crowds doubled from 1982 to 1990 with a losing GB team by playing at big stadia. Stick to Wigan, Hull and Huddersfield and don't be surprised if people see the sport as small time and have little interest in going.

Agreed but they need to then market the event appropriately. I remember the depressing afternoon at the Olympic Stadium a few years back when they only sold 32k tickets for England v Australia. Walking round the local area and you wouldn't even know the game was on.

Could they invite bids like they've done for the World Cup and Magic? I.e. get receptive stadia and local authorities on board who will help to market and publicise the event. This is what they do with international cricket. Counties and local authorities are desperate to host test matches and ODIs because of the income they generate for the local area.

You people are missing the point here. Tour should be:

Scotland at Workington on Thursday night. No floodlights 2 quid in 1 quid burgers, people moaning its too expensive

England Knights the next day, Chris Joynt plays in a 1997 GB Super League shirt for nostalgia but with Simon Haughton's name on the back. Nigel Wood bigs up sales of Simon Joynt Shirts

Test 1 at Cas. England win by 2 points. All fans claim conspiracy

Tuesday morning v Fev Academy, played at Knottingley High School

Test 2 at Citi Fields, we have to expand the game. 1 weeks notice and no away fans.

Wednesday midnight. All stars game with Gallen as captain. 

Test 3 at Hull. Australia win with dodgy try. Conspiracy theorists rejoice and vote for Boris in a glorious double 'win'

England Knights play straight after and we all think we'll win the world cup.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 minute ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

You people are missing the point here. Tour should be:

Scotland at Workington on Thursday night. No floodlights 2 quid in 1 quid burgers, people moaning its too expensive

England Knights the next day, Chris Joynt plays in a 1997 GB Super League shirt for nostalgia but with Simon Haughton's name on the back. Nigel Wood bigs up sales of Simon Joynt Shirts

Test 1 at Cas. England win by 2 points. All fans claim conspiracy

Tuesday morning v Fev Academy, played at Knottingley High School

Test 2 at Citi Fields, we have to expand the game. 1 weeks notice and no away fans.

Wednesday midnight. All stars game with Gallen as captain. 

Test 3 at Hull. Australia win with dodgy try. Conspiracy theorists rejoice and vote for Boris in a glorious double 'win'

England Knights play straight after and we all think we'll win the world cup.

You've missed out 'get Cumbria to play a combined ANZAC team whose jersey is half a Kiwi one and half a Kangaroo but stitched together'.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

You've missed out 'get Cumbria to play a combined ANZAC team whose jersey is half a Kiwi one and half a Kangaroo but stitched together'.

Im an optimist but not an idiot. 

How fine is the stitching?

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They should also play West Wales Raiders to help grow the game in South Wales, at a sold out Millennium Stadium, would be good if WRR keep the Aussies to below 200. 

11 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

3 Saturday matches against England in Newcastle, London, Manchester

3 midweek matches against GB in Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast

Modern world and nostalgia combined.

That is 6 matches against exactly the same players ? Hope this was sarcasm ? 

Just now, Scubby said:

That is 6 matches against exactly the same players ? Hope this was sarcasm ? 

It was. Sorry. ? 

If I'd included my third suggestion, which was going to be a prize for the 1st Aussie to spot that both teams were the same, then I would have eliminated all doubt.

It IS frustrating though - it would be so good if the likes of France, Wales, Scotland and Ireland were credible opposition for the Aussies. ?

I'd probably still hope for the Aussies to play France - just because I think France are the best hope of another team one day being competitive.

If club teams aren't an option either, what else is there? Yorkshire and Lancashire teams? That's what they do at youth level, isn't it? The Aussies play Yorkshire, Lancashire, and then England.

5 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

Have you banged your head or something??

Just wishful thinking. I know it's not realistic.

To be serious, though, if the three tests are played at Newcastle, Tottenham and Old Trafford, I'd be very happy with that combination.

Although I loved the 1st tests at Wembley in 1990 and 1994, I do recognise that the new Wembley is probably a bit big, whereas the new Spurs stadium is a better size and has the advantage of being new.

I'm genuinely excited by the thought of contesting the Ashes again. It's been too long.

Archived