Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

McDermott: Give us some salary cap leeway

Brian McDermott has again pleaded for the Rugby Football League to grant Toronto Wolfpack salary cap dispensation for the good of the sport’s development in...

View the full article

The game will be lucky to keep the one Argyle the way it acts towards him and his dream.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

The game will be lucky to keep the one Argyle the way it acts towards him and his dream.

A lot his dreams don't seem to come true though. Remember the talk of home games in Barcelona, Copenhagen, Dublin and Nice during the cold weather in Canada.

Seems the double header with Saracens is now in doubt. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cake Tiger said:

A lot his dreams don't seem to come true though. Remember the talk of home games in Barcelona, Copenhagen, Dublin and Nice during the cold weather in Canada.

Given the current state of Saracens should this be a surprise?

The others I see as just public musings.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Lee way as in no way.

Sbw who next!!!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

8 minutes ago, Cake Tiger said:

How very Rugby league of you, to run someone down for having some positive ideas. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

"Raise The Cap!"

"My God...a light..expansion in NA...the door is open much more than a crack now...reach out and touch it...right there !

What people have dreamed about for so long..its finally within our grasp!"

"What?"

"Who just turned off the lights?"

-foolish boys, just raise the cap...or give Toronto a bit of special dispensation...its nothing in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How very Rugby league of you, to run someone down for having some positive ideas. 

Sometimes, there is a fine line between ideas and bull excrement. 

Anyone can come out with flights of fancy to try and impress people. I tend to be impressed when they do things, not just talk about them. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Cake Tiger said:

Anyone can come out with flights of fancy to try and impress people. I tend to be impressed when they do things, not just talk about them. 

As in 'money talks, bulls... walks.'

I think David Argyle's money has amply spoken for him.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Cake Tiger said:

Do things, like set up a RL team in a new country and take them to SL in three years? I’m fairly indifferent about TWP but to say Argyle just talks about stuff and doesn’t do it is a bit silly. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

"Raise The Cap!"

"My God...a light..expansion in NA...the door is open much more than a crack now...reach out and touch it...right there !

What people have dreamed about for so long..its finally within our grasp!"

"What?"

"Who just turned off the lights?"

-foolish boys, just raise the cap...or give Toronto a bit of special dispensation...its nothing in the grand scheme of things.

He wants the cap raised and you haven’t even played a game in SL yet.

Sounds like somebody is running scared.

Or can’t find alternative answers!

3 hours ago, Cake Tiger said:

As Eddie pointed out TWP have gone from nothing to SL in 3 years; they have generated more column inches/social media and discussion amongst RL and non-RL followers than all of the other SL clubs combined; the owner has pumped in $21m and they signed arguably the most recognised rugby player on the planet.  

So I assume all that hasn’t impressed you?  Unlike Cas who have given out bull excrement for many years about moving to a new ground.  I know as I am a Cas supporter.

It comes down to a simple question ‘What is the best for RL in the long term’.  Is it seeing TWP as a possible catalyst that may open greater opportunities for the game at a national and NH level, or, do we flatly deny TWP any wriggle-room and see how it goes.

I can understand the jealousy that TWP have caused because their owner has more money than any other owner, especially Cas, but I do not want to see decisions taken at a strategic level to be based on jealousy.

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

As Eddie pointed out TWP have gone from nothing to SL in 3 years; they have generated more column inches/social media and discussion amongst RL and non-RL followers than all of the other SL clubs combined; the owner has pumped in $21m and they signed arguably the most recognised rugby player on the planet.  

So I assume all that hasn’t impressed you?  Unlike Cas who have given out bull excrement for many years about moving to a new ground.  I know as I am a Cas supporter.

It comes down to a simple question ‘What is the best for RL in the long term’.  Is it seeing TWP as a possible catalyst that may open greater opportunities for the game at a national and NH level, or, do we flatly deny TWP any wriggle-room and see how it goes.

I can understand the jealousy that TWP have caused because their owner has more money than any other owner, especially Cas, but I do not want to see decisions taken at a strategic level to be based on jealousy.

Money takes you to SL!

18 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Bang on.

I don't think RFL/SL really knows where to go next. Sad.

• Like 3

To TIWIT, Kayakman, Adelaide Tiger, and all others who think of TWP in a positive light.   I'd strongly suggest you stay totally clear of this thread and leave it 100% to the negative towards TWP idiots.   They can party-hearty with it until it fizzles out.  If you stick with it....the thread that is......you won't win and stress yourselves out.   My advice FWIW.  I ain't opening this one again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Bang on.

Nothing to do with the RFL.. 

Toronto are SL’s issue.

2 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

To TIWIT, Kayakman, Adelaide Tiger, and all others who think of TWP in a positive light.   I'd strongly suggest you stay totally clear of this thread and leave it 100% to the negative towards TWP idiots.   They can party-hearty with it until it fizzles out.  If you stick with it....the thread that is......you won't win and stress yourselves out.   My advice FWIW.  I ain't opening this one again.

How much dispensation do you want? In what form? £5M Salary Cap? Unlimited quota players?

What do you want?

9 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Nothing to do with the RFL.. 

Toronto are SL’s issue.

TWP are currently playing in Super League. If they are relegated at the end of the season then they will be playing in RFL's Championship. And neither can decide if they want to make them welcome or want them to go away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

TWP are currently playing in Super League. If they are relegated at the end of the season then they will be playing in RFL's Championship. And neither can decide if they want to make them welcome or want them to go away.

I think it’s a massive season coming up for Toronto. This will probably be.a season of make or break.

Was it bad management to go 3 years buying a team without developing something in the background?

They could have possibly had a reserve squad this season investing in that instead of silly money on SBW.

They may not have been Canadian but a squad of 18 really isn’t functional in L1 nevermind SL:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NOS4A2 said:

My take on Toronto is that they knew the rules when they joined, some of which were changed/amended to assist them and they have arrived at the big table hideously understaffed. As a result, they want to be able to buy their way out of this "corner", the same way that they bough the shields they won to date with squads vastly more experienced and expensive than their opponents.

Sorry. But if they want to have the rules bent some more, then they need to deliver before that happens, because there's not a chance in hell that the 10 UK owners will allow them to buy their safety on the "promise" of future riches.

Mac was always a staunch supporter of London development. It seems he's been hanging around "kwik-fix_Nobby" for too long and would now rather buy success. We are not soccer....the game can't afford it unless we find another 10 Argyles.

50 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Money takes you to SL!

What's the problem with spending money? I mean we all do it everyday and so do the chairmen of every other super league club.

Why continually point out Twp and Argyle?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

But how else are they gonna learn?

Besides, as you know by now, EVERY thread will eventually turn into a TWP discussion. Can't let the nay-Sayers think they're winning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

What's the problem with spending money? I mean we all do it everyday and so do the chairmen of every other super league club.

Jealousy, pure and simple jealousy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Bang on.

Of course they don't.  The likes of Toronto and New York mix with the small time traditional clubs about as well as oil mixes with water, and the track record of the RFL/SL is that when a decision has to be made they always look after the small time traditional clubs whatever the cost may be.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Simply because the thread is TWP based. All other SL clubs now have to conform to reserve structures whilst should I say it dispensation has been given to Toronto.

You may argue its only 3 years, but now the investment in one player simply ridicules that statement.

• Haha 2