The TRL Virtual Pub

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fulham, London Crusaders, Harlequins RL, London Broncos. 40 years old this year. The BBC in particular gave them no chance, even in the RL Media. Maybe the BBC or Sky might do a documentary on them, and so-called expansion teams like Kent Invicta, Scarbourough Pirates, Gloucester, Oxford, various regeneration of Blackpool Borough, Carlisle United, Runcorn etc., Trafford Borough (if ever there is an example to avoid a Manchester Lions, this is it), Skolars, PSG, Toronto, Douglas IOM, all random ideas, of course, in no particular range.

Mansfield Marksmen,  Southend, Belle Vue, Huyton, & Liverpool Stanley/City need a stoplight too

Bonus question: which RL club played here?

BGy2fj_CIAEGK9V.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I cant say how many amateur grounds I've been to/played at over 30 years of playing League & Union, must've  been 100's.

I have been to see Fulham/Broncos/Crusaders/QuinsRl at 11 grounds in their 40 year history, starting at Craven Cottage x 1, Kingstonian x1, Gillinham x1, Hendon x1, Charlton, Brentford, The Stoop, Barnet Copthall, Ealing, & I was at Wembley in 1999. Did they also play a couple of games at Loftus Road, QPR? As for other games, do normally Soccer grounds, and abroad count?

Total 53 stadiums where you had to pay to get in, not included Hemel, because I played there as an amateur for Ealing. But that's not bad considering I have spent 60% of my life south of Birmingham

QPR was included in my final total because I saw Australia v NZ in a tri-nations game, I've included Charlety,  Paris, because we saw a French Championship game there c2003/4 Limoux?

I've included Ellend Rd because New Hunslet played there, I included Burnden Park because for some reason Swinton held home games there against Bradford & Saints (not on the same day, although we could've beat both of them), I also remember a 1988 challenge cup semi final in Sheffield, but cant recall where.

Avignon, Perpignon,Carcassone & Toulouse, Brisbane & Auckland.

51 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I cant say how many amateur grounds I've played at.

Especially as most of the teams I played for & against in the "London League" are almost as nomadic as the Pro teams. Ealing had 3 grounds in the 6 years I played for them. Some clubs had a different ground each week, clubs like Hemel, & Milton Keynes were settled, other clubs like Bognor, or Brighton appeared for one season, then buff, gone.

I also remember a Swindon team, and an amateur side out towards Southend.

Wouldn't know how many grounds I've been to over the years, certainly not as many as some on here, especially since I didn't play again after leaving college though I have been to some random grounds.

Special mentions to, Christie Park - Morecambe fc's old ground, Nantporth - Bangor City, The Showgrounds - Coleraine fc, Caledonian Stadium - Inverness and Friedrich-Ludwig-Jahn Sportspark, home to Dynamo Berlin who were the Stasi's football team back in communist times. Been to a few Berlin grounds over the years. 

5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Hendon, I think they played a cup game against Wigan?

Hendon stadium, now a housing estate. The place rotted and fell apart for years after it was closed, so I suppose it is better some use was made of the land.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

WIgan > Cowdenbeath

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived