The TRL Virtual Pub

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who turned the lights out?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

You post another picture of our lass again I'll have ya! ?

She looks different without all the peanut packets stapled to her...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 14:19, longboard said:

Will it be a running buffet?

Will there be any  mucky fat sandwiches, growlers with mushy peas and mint sauce and any cold black pudding?

My requirements are few.

I didn't know buffets could run. 

Who knows what a buffet is?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Half way through a pint of Adnams Broadside - very nice, after a bottle of Robinsons Old Tom 

speaking of which, here's a good one.  "Dad put ginger in the curry, the kids were  upset, they really liked that cat"

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

28 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Half way through a pint of Adnams Broadside - very nice, after a bottle of Robinsons Old Tom 

speaking of which, here's a good one.  "Dad put ginger in the curry, the kids were  upset, they really liked that cat"

Apparently a running buffet is the coming thing in Morley.

Is it possible to reserve a table in the beer garden please? I won't be able to get there until mid afternoon and, on a day like this, it's probably going to get busy with "non-regulars"!

If you haven't virtually trudged through virtual snow to get to our virtual local then you shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the sunny days. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

It's going to be windy in the beer garden today,  so you'll be wanting a table upwind of you know who.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 hours ago, longboard said:

Apparently a running buffet is the coming thing in Morley.

I'm a Morley lad, and that's why I asked the question.  A buffet has a meaning in Morley and surrounding areas that I don't think it has elsewhere.  I wondered what  it means to TRLers.

Clement Attlee.

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Is it possible to reserve a table in the beer garden please? I won't be able to get there until mid afternoon and, on a day like this, it's probably going to get busy with "non-regulars"!

If you haven't virtually trudged through virtual snow to get to our virtual local then you shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the sunny days. 

You think this is one of those fancy establishments where you can reserve a table? Enough of those fancy Southern ways.

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

You think this is one of those fancy establishments with tables? Enough of those fancy Southern ways.

That’s more in keeping with what I had in mind.

Currently working my way through a bottle of Whitstable Bay pale ale. Other beers lined up for later are Hobgoblin Ruby, Old Crafty Hen, Nigerian Guinness and two cans of Perla Miodowa, a Polish lager brewed with honey that they sell in my local corner shop.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just had a couple of glasses of Knee Buckler IPA from Peerless Brewery in BIrkenhead, very nice.

Next stop McGuigan's Black Label Shiraz.

20 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Currently working my way through a bottle of Whitstable Bay pale ale. Other beers lined up for later are Hobgoblin Ruby, Old Crafty Hen, Nigerian Guinness and two cans of Perla Miodowa, a Polish lager brewed with honey that they sell in my local corner shop.

Is that the Foreign Extra stuff? Rocket fuel.

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

Is that the Foreign Extra stuff? Rocket fuel.

These days, it is more often the Foreign Extra, which is what I have. They actually brew it in Dublin now, due to demand from West African immigrants as well as people like me. There used to be a shop down the road that sold the actual Nigerian stuff, which came in scuffed, battered bottles, often with ripped labels. That was even more extreme.

There's a shop a mile or so up the road from me that sometimes has stock of Lion Stout, from Sri Lanka. Not cheap, but if you ever spot it on sale, that's a fantastic beer. Again, this is a pretty strong one, so you go easy on it, but delicious!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

These days, it is more often the Foreign Extra, which is what I have. They actually brew it in Dublin now, due to demand from West African immigrants as well as people like me. There used to be a shop down the road that sold the actual Nigerian stuff, which came in scuffed, battered bottles, often with ripped labels. That was even more extreme.

There's a shop a mile or so up the road from me that sometimes has stock of Lion Stout, from Sri Lanka. Not cheap, but if you ever spot it on sale, that's a fantastic beer. Again, this is a pretty strong one, so you go easy on it, but delicious!

Is there a CAMRA meeting in here tonight? 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I do like the Foreign Extra stuff, not had it for a while as it's hard to get. I used to always get it from Sainsbury's but am not near one these days. I see Tesco online do it though so must get a few bottles. A bit of a fruity taste from what I remember. I've never managed to get the proper Nigerian stuff and must keep an eye out for the Lion Stout, I do like the stronger stuff.

On 31/03/2020 at 14:45, Bearman said:

Any other suggestions?

The TGG

The Lomax

The First Kangaroos

The 1895

The Red Devil

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

I do like the Foreign Extra stuff, not had it for a while as it's hard to get. I used to always get it from Sainsbury's but am not near one these days. I see Tesco online do it though so must get a few bottles. A bit of a fruity taste from what I remember. I've never managed to get the proper Nigerian stuff and must keep an eye out for the Lion Stout, I do like the stronger stuff.

History lesson: the reason Nigeria started brewing their own stuff under licence (and why it is different) is that barley and other European grains was either too expensive or hard to get (I forget which), so the Nigerian brewery started making their own licenced version with sorghum instead, which was grown locally. So it isn't just a stronger beer, but a unique product in its own right.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived