Jump to content

The Greatest Show In The Galaxy


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, John Drake said:

That thing where you watch something on the telly and really enjoy it, then go online afterwards to discover a bunch of other people moaning about how ###### it was.

People who can't even compose an interesting tweet sitting in judgement on the professional writing of 45 minutes of modern television.

That's my experience of any new episode of Doctor Who nowadays.

It goes without saying that I will always enjoy a new episode of Doctor Who.

I sit down to watch it with that as my intention. Always have, always will. There isn't a single episode that I have seen, from the original series through to the modern day one, that doesn't have something to recommend it, in my view. That's why it is my favourite show.

It doesn't mean every episode is a stone cold classic, or that there aren't some I rewatch more than others, or that Genesis of the Daleks is on a par with Time and the Rani. But I genuinely appreciate every actor who has played the part, every writer who has written for it and every part of the production team that has put it on screen.

I feel sorry for those who watch something they claim to love, and then spend all their time pulling it to bits.

If the internet had existed in 1963. Doctor Who wouldn't have lasted longer than its original 13 episode run.

"Yeah, I liked the first one, quite good, but then three weeks of stone age men wittering on about fire and the lead actors fluffing their lines, no thanks, boring and amateurish, I gave up on it, the test card would be more thrilling..."

Meanwhile, nearly SIXTY (count 'em) years later, Doctor Who is still on air, still pushing boundaries, still throwing out glorious little surprises to those who have stuck with it, such as the trailer at the end of the latest episode heralding the return of two much loved characters (no spoilers) in the regeneration special marking the Beeb's 100th birthday later this year.

I can't wait to see what happens next!

While it wasn't a classic episode , it was an entertaining 50 minutes and as for the trailer , Wow ! those were two nice surprises to look forward to , and I'm equally looking forward to the surprises that haven't been revealed yet , because there's no way that they've shown their full hand six months out from the airing .

Link to comment
Share on other sites


15 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

While it wasn't a classic episode , it was an entertaining 50 minutes and as for the trailer , Wow ! those were two nice surprises to look forward to , and I'm equally looking forward to the surprises that haven't been revealed yet , because there's no way that they've shown their full hand six months out from the airing .

It was an entertaining 50 minutes. Exactly that.

Tardis lands. Crew discover something odd going on. Monsters appear!! Lots of running about interspersed with incomprehensible pseudo-scientific dialogue ensues. Something daft happens to lighten the mood. Characters get a bit emotional. Doctor saves the day by implausible means. End.

That's Doctor Who, in a nutshell. If you're watching it expecting something else then you haven't been paying attention for the past 60 years in my view.

I think some fans have now set themselves unreachable levels of perfection as their expectation for each new episode, which the show is just never going to achieve, no matter who writes, produces or stars in it. Consequently, they can only ever be disappointed by what is supposed to be their favourite show, and unfortunately they'll never grow weary of telling everyone how awful they thought it was.

Now they're all getting excited about Russell T Davies returning to 'save' their show, but you know what, before the end credits have finished rolling on his first comeback episode they'll be online telling everyone what a piece of trash it turned out to be and demanding his head on a plate.

  • Like 1

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/04/2022 at 00:23, John Drake said:

That thing where you watch something on the telly and really enjoy it, then go online afterwards to discover a bunch of other people moaning about how ###### it was.

People who can't even compose an interesting tweet sitting in judgement on the professional writing of 45 minutes of modern television.

That's my experience of any new episode of Doctor Who nowadays.

It goes without saying that I will always enjoy a new episode of Doctor Who.

I sit down to watch it with that as my intention. Always have, always will. There isn't a single episode that I have seen, from the original series through to the modern day one, that doesn't have something to recommend it, in my view. That's why it is my favourite show.

It doesn't mean every episode is a stone cold classic, or that there aren't some I rewatch more than others, or that Genesis of the Daleks is on a par with Time and the Rani. But I genuinely appreciate every actor who has played the part, every writer who has written for it and every part of the production team that has put it on screen.

I feel sorry for those who watch something they claim to love, and then spend all their time pulling it to bits.

If the internet had existed in 1963. Doctor Who wouldn't have lasted longer than its original 13 episode run.

"Yeah, I liked the first one, quite good, but then three weeks of stone age men wittering on about fire and the lead actors fluffing their lines, no thanks, boring and amateurish, I gave up on it, the test card would be more thrilling..."

Meanwhile, nearly SIXTY (count 'em) years later, Doctor Who is still on air, still pushing boundaries, still throwing out glorious little surprises to those who have stuck with it, such as the trailer at the end of the latest episode heralding the return of two much loved characters (no spoilers) in the regeneration special marking the Beeb's 100th birthday later this year.

I can't wait to see what happens next!

The episode was fine and the ending was absolutely ace 😛

And a gold star for "no ship Sherlock".

But it can't be above criticism: and it's the same things we see repeated:

John Bishop is wooden and unengaging, as I've felt since the very start. I have to fast forward through half his scenes, especially the ones where the emotional music starts as I know they will make me cringe.

Endless complicated exposition stuck in the mouth of the Doctor. I know it's always been a thing but it could be done a little bit artfully.

Can we just lose the sonic screwdriver to technical failure for a series or two? Constant use as an instant and lazy solution to the Doctor being in a tricky situation is just annoying.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/04/2022 at 19:49, M j M said:

The episode was fine and the ending was absolutely ace 😛

And a gold star for "no ship Sherlock".

But it can't be above criticism: and it's the same things we see repeated:

John Bishop is wooden and unengaging, as I've felt since the very start. I have to fast forward through half his scenes, especially the ones where the emotional music starts as I know they will make me cringe.

Endless complicated exposition stuck in the mouth of the Doctor. I know it's always been a thing but it could be done a little bit artfully.

Can we just lose the sonic screwdriver to technical failure for a series or two? Constant use as an instant and lazy solution to the Doctor being in a tricky situation is just annoying.

 

I'm not saying it should be beyond criticism, but these days it is just relentless, and completely over the top, as if some fans believed Chris Chibnall got out of bed in a morning with the aim of deliberately ruining their lives, rather than just making a TV show (often under trying circumstances with Covid-19 filming restrictions for half his tenure).

You found some stuff you didn't like about the latest episode, but you also tempered your criticism by referring to the parts of it you appreciated as well. If only everyone did that.

I agree with you about the sonic screwdriver - though it was the returning showrunner Russell T Davies who first turned it into something more like a magic wand, so we're probably stuck with it.

  • Like 1

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved Doctor Who from Tom Baker, Peter Davidson and Colin Baker but then lost interest but liked it when it was revived in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston and then the first 2 season with David Tennant after that with David Tennant there was  a few which I didn't like BUT most of them were fantastic just thought there was something different with Billy Piper in series 4 2008 but after DT left I tried and just seemed to different and complicated sometimes and even my young nephews at the time where confused with it.

Going give the Tennant season a smash again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Ncuti Gatwa is the 14th Doctor . Its a bit of a Matt Smith type of casting , a relatively unknown out of the blue actor .

Look forward to it but I can see some of our red-faced friends, who probably don't watch the series anyway, going absolutely nuts.

(And I hope it turns out better than Smith, in my view, did 😬 Less childishness and fewer silly speeches please).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/05/2022 at 13:04, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Ncuti Gatwa is the 14th Doctor . Its a bit of a Matt Smith type of casting , a relatively unknown out of the blue actor .

Looks a good choice to me. 

I hope he gets a fair go at it.

Great how they kept it a secret too. Despite him having got the role in February, I haven't seen his name linked to the show anywhere in advance of the official announcement yesterday.

  • Like 1

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/05/2022 at 13:40, M j M said:

(And I hope it turns out better than Smith, in my view, did 😬 Less childishness and fewer silly speeches please).

Matt Smith is my favourite of the 'new era' Doctors. 

I wear a Fez now. Fezzes are cool. 

Get some funny looks in the LPL office though... 😄

  • Like 1

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well good luck to the guy, but I was hoping for Steven Toast, below, looked good !!

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 08/05/2022 at 13:40, M j M said:

Look forward to it but I can see some of our red-faced friends, who probably don't watch the series anyway, going absolutely nuts.

(And I hope it turns out better than Smith, in my view, did 😬 Less childishness and fewer silly speeches please).

wont be going nuts ( assuming you are referring to posters like me who are sick of woke tv - woke tv ads and woke in general) to be fair the new choice can not be any worse than the panting woman - maybe think of some new ideas for a change instead of sod in daleks and cybermen might be good

Edited by graveyard johnny

a closed door is no object to FLAT STANLEY 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

Looks a good choice to me. 

I hope he gets a fair go at it.

Great how they kept it a secret too. Despite him having got the role in February, I haven't seen his name linked to the show anywhere in advance of the official announcement yesterday.

There was a quote from RTD , that of all the rumours going around , about who was playing the next Doctor , that some of them were actually started by him , but not the James Corden one 😂

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

Matt Smith is my favourite of the 'new era' Doctors. 

I wear a Fez now. Fezzes are cool. 

Get some funny looks in the LPL office though... 😄

I loved Matt Smith as the Doctor , it took about 20 minutes of his first episode to win me over , where as my favourite Doctor , Peter Capaldi , it took about 5 or 6 episodes

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't take to each of the new doctors on their debut - but once re-watched on iPlayer, like them all. DT and MS particularly, and Peter Capaldi I misjudged first time round - really liked his episodes on re-watching.

I've only watched the Jodie Whittaker episodes once, and I'm not sure I'll watch them again. JW has done stellar work elsewhere, I think she was let down by some average writing. And there were too many sidekicks - I think it dilutes the storyline. 

Looking forward to RTD being involved again. He picked two good 'uns in DT and MS, so I'm sure Ncuti Gatwa will be fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

maybe think of some new ideas for a change instead of sod in daleks and cybermen might be good

That's like going to see a famous band and hoping they don't play the greatest hits, but in reality, everyone goes to the toilet when they say 'and here's one from the new album!'

Doctor Who is always full of new ideas. For those who make the effort to watch it. 😉

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

I loved Matt Smith as the Doctor , it took about 20 minutes of his first episode to win me over , where as my favourite Doctor , Peter Capaldi , it took about 5 or 6 episodes

Matt Smith's debut was fantastic.

What a task he had on his hands, taking over from the mega-popular David Tennant, with a new showrunner, new companion, new everything basically, and he pulled it off magnificently. As you say, within about 20 minutes, he'd nailed it.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Getting Neil Patrick Harris is quite a coup!

 

  • Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...