Wakefield Stadium???

4 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Especially going down that long tunnel under the West Stand. 😬

Now that was an experience. You were lucky if you could make it from one end to the other before second half started. I can also remember what seemed like hundreds of fans climbing on to the pitch and walking along the touch lines to switch ends

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

I really hope. but the spectic in me says nothing will happen.

To many false dawns from Wakey as far as I'm concerned

If nothing happens it's not for want of trying, the ground is much more a hindrance to the club then it is for a visiting supporter or indeed the perceived image of the fame. I know you like to look at things in black and white, but this situation is very grey and has been in the making for a number of years. It hasn't just been conjured up over the past few weeks to 'fool' the RFL .

3 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

If nothing happens it's not for want of trying, the ground is much more a hindrance to the club then it is for a visiting supporter or indeed the perceived image of the fame. I know you like to look at things in black and white, but this situation is very grey and has been in the making for a number of years. It hasn't just been conjured up over the past few weeks to 'fool' the RFL .

They have had over 20 years to come up with plans for a new stadium and still we wait.

Lets not forget that when they come into Super League they did promise the RFL they would built a new stadium, and i repeat that was over 20 years ago

8 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

They have had over 20 years to come up with plans for a new stadium and still we wait.

Lets not forget that when they come into Super League they did promise the RFL they would built a new stadium, and i repeat that was over 20 years ago

We've had plenty plans , just not many bricks 

11 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

What is this we? It makes no difference to you or any whether Trinity have a new stadium or not. It does make a massive difference to the club. As I said it's not black and white, in that time we have had one WMDC pie in the sky idea come and go, another scheme sat there with full planning ready to construct except the developer who benefitted from the planning gain decided not to honour their obligations and a weak council who weren't prepared to hold them to account. 

We might get something out of this, we might not. Its still very much dependent upon said developer playing ball which could scupper things. If they renege again then we are back to square one. 

1 minute ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

What is this we? It makes no difference to you or any whether Trinity have a new stadium or not. It does make a massive difference to the club. As I said it's not black and white

It looked black and white to me. At least Cas do paint by numbers

22 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

It's impossible to overstate how much the lack of local government support has had on Cas and Wakey. From Hull to St Helens every other club have needed significant council involvement in new stadia or redevelopments either in nodding through supermarket enabling developments or in financing the thing (apart from Leeds and even then there is an element and Wigan who use a football ground).

Getting this stuff done with a hostile or indifferent council is nearly impossible.

17 minutes ago, M j M said:

It's impossible to overstate how much the lack of local government support has had on Cas and Wakey. From Hull to St Helens every other club have needed significant council involvement in new stadia or redevelopments either in nodding through supermarket enabling developments or in financing the thing (apart from Leeds and even then there is an element and Wigan who use a football ground).

Getting this stuff done with a hostile or indifferent council is nearly impossible.

You are absolutely correct but I must add, even Leeds have had help from their local authority who have loaned them the funding. Wakefield Councils action for most of the initial stadium saga have been an utter disgrace. 

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I really hope. but the spectic in me says nothing will happen.

To many false dawns from Wakey as far as I'm concerned

I agree. But we've already seen 1 club voted out of super league behind a dodgy report from the executive committee, I have no doubt they'd be prepared to do so again, which must be on Wakefield's mind.

8 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

You are absolutely correct but I must add, even Leeds have had help from their local authority who have loaned them the funding. Wakefield Councils action for most of the initial stadium saga have been an utter disgrace. 

Quite a few years ago they had a chance to build a stadium at Thornes Park. Had they actually had the bottle to fund it , they would have recouped the money back from 20 years of fans spending money in the city centre.

5 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Will be sad to lose the Belle Vue we have now and it’s character but it’s not conducive for top level sport anymore and does need a rebuild. I hope it comes off, I like a trip to Wakefield. 

Don't you worry you won't be losing it any time soon.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree. But we've already seen 1 club voted out of super league behind a dodgy report from the executive committee, I have no doubt they'd be prepared to do so again, which must be on Wakefield's mind.

Ok I can go along with that. However this planning application is a bit more than a quick drawing to buy a bit of time. There is a large amount of expensive and detailed work behind this submission. Expert solicitors in planning law are involved along with experienced planning consultants. 

In fact this goes way beyond anything that has gone before and has taken many months to complete and submit. Under normal circumstances I would be elated by this, but having been very close to the many stadium episodes, the thing that really worries me is yorkcourt. They are not to be trusted and obviously this upgrade depends on their funding. Let's see if the council will now show some strength and make them comply with their legal obligations. There is however a slight cause for optimism in that Peter Box the self confessed Trinity hater is no longer around to put his spoke in.

18 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

The funding is from Legal & General. Leeds Council's role was effectively as a facilitator, using their ability to access better credit which was then passed on to the clubs.

6 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Ok I can go along with that. However this planning application is a bit more than a quick drawing to buy a bit of time. There is a large amount of expensive and detailed work behind this submission. Expert solicitors in planning law are involved along with experienced planning consultants. 

In fact this goes way beyond anything that has gone before and has taken many months to complete and submit. Under normal circumstances I would be elated by this, but having been very close to the many stadium episodes, the thing that really worries me is yorkcourt. They are not to be trusted and obviously this upgrade depends on their funding. Let's see if the council will now show some strength and make them comply with their legal obligations. There is however a slight cause for optimism in that Peter Box the self confessed Trinity hater is no longer around to put his spoke in.

So why not just wait till the diggers turn up ?

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

The funding is from Legal & General. Leeds Council's role was effectively as a facilitator, using their ability to access better credit which was then passed on to the clubs.

It is a common misconception that Wigan council funded the LSV , they provided the land and underwrote for any shortfall , the finance all came from grants and private investors , but that also means that Leigh don't have any income or control 

25 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It is a common misconception that Wigan council funded the LSV , they provided the land and underwrote for any shortfall , the finance all came from grants and private investors , but that also means that Leigh don't have any income or control 

Yes I presume the money from private investors was from the developer of the whole site who provided funds by way of 106 obligations. 

That is what happens when you have honest developers and competent councils yo enforce the law. Unfortunately the same cant be said of wakefield council.

9 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Yes I presume the money from private investors was from the developer of the whole site who provided funds by way of 106 obligations. 

That is what happens when you have honest developers and competent councils yo enforce the law. Unfortunately the same cant be said of wakefield council.

Leigh East gave up their lease next to Hilton Park , Leigh Harriers gave up their land on Holden Rd , Leigh/Horwich RMI managed to get grant funding , Leigh Centurions contributed nothing 

But once everything else was in place Wigan council gave the Centurions an ultimatum , move or Hilton Park gets a 1000 capacity safety certificate , effectively killing the club 

So I do have a great deal of sympathy with Wakey , as you say , unless the council have the will , there's not a lot you can do , not stop me taking the pee though 😉

Archived