Now is the time to bring back franchising

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Franchising allows clubs to grow and plan for the future. Our sport is unlike soccer where clubs can more easily deal with the financial ramifications of relegation.

If we want our sport to grow then we need our clubs to grow. 

We’re not going to attract a significantly larger TV deal until we start growing. 

Exactly we want all our clubs to grow not die.

4 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Franchising allows clubs to grow and plan for the future. Our sport is unlike soccer where clubs can more easily deal with the financial ramifications of relegation.

If we want our sport to grow then we need our clubs to grow. 

We’re not going to attract a significantly larger TV deal until we start growing. 

Which clubs ?

37 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Are you suggesting a full application from all clubs to be decided by an independent panel? In that process it would be very likely Cas Wakey HKR Salford would be out of SL on facilities and finance

No. I am not saying that one way or the other.  But if after next season we go against P&R it will have to be an issue for whoever wants to organise existing Super League. 

To date as far as I know SL have said they will stay with P&R.  All I am saying is that if we do want P&R, then we should 'scrap the cap'.

41 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Would you sponsor a team that could be relegated next year?

Would you pay for the TV rights of a competition that could lose a team with a large audience next year?

Would you sign for a club that could be relegated next year?

There is no certainty to bank on. 

Teams need to be there on commercial viability. Not being relegated isn't enough. It's a race to the (second) bottom.

Should those owners of ambitious clubs in the Championship invest in a team that is in a closed shop. Would a David Hughes do that?

I don't think that Sky will allow a closed shop being brought back, the race for Old Trafford alone does not give enough variety.

Off course if the pay was appealing, the better player's will get another SL job those that can't will soon realise why.

That is what sport is all about, isn't it or have I been under some disillusion all these years. 

Agreed, that SL funding should not be the only thing that keeps club in there. Are you suggesting that if Licencing was suddenly brought back, the 12 best bank balances should get preference?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Well if it was a pupil with a private tutor I think it would have been filed under no hope by now.

If London is 'no hope' after a CC final, 2nd place in SL, 22 of 26 seasons in the top tier in the pro era .

What would we say about a club with no CC finals, never spent consecutive seasons in the top flight in the pro era, and 2 of 26 seasons in the top flight

54 minutes ago, Wire quin said:

Let's see what the future sponsorship/NRL buy out/Sky money is before we make any long term decisions to shape the future.

IF the NRL buy out happens there wont be any P & R for sure. I'm not saying i agree with it but that's what will happen. There will be a criteria on a few things and some present Super League clubs will fall by the wayside if they fail to meet that criteria.

The NRL will want ambitious, forward thinking clubs with proper business plans, not something written on the back of a fag packet. Any incompetent people in admin will soon be shown the door.

2 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

If London is 'no hope' after a CC final, 2nd place in SL, 22 of 26 seasons in the top tier in the pro era .

What would we say about a club with no CC finals, never spent consecutive seasons in the top flight in the pro era, and 2 of 26 seasons in the top flight

London.....artificially in ? 

2 minutes ago, Scotchy1 said:

Past records mean nothing in present days, for gods sake man if that is the case Hunslet should be the biggest team in Leeds.

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

IF the NRL buy out happens there wont be any P & R for sure. I'm not saying i agree with it but that's what will happen. There will be a criteria on a few things and some present Super League clubs will fall by the wayside if they fail to meet that criteria.

The NRL will want ambitious, forward thinking clubs with proper business plans, not something written on the back of a fag packet. Any incompetent people in admin will soon be shown the door.

Always so sure aren't you, nothing is ever in your opinion, it is like the commandments written in stone and about to happen, we will see, that is if the NRL does happen. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Always so sure aren't you, nothing is ever in your opinion, it is like the commandments written in stone and about to happen, we will see, that is if the NRL does happen. 

Its not a buy out anyway. Its 50% meaning they can't do owt unilaterally. Like you say, that's even if it does happen. 

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Past records mean nothing in present days, for gods sake man if that is the case Hunslet should be the biggest team in Leeds.

Are you having a stroke?

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well if it was a pupil with a private tutor I think it would have been filed under no hope by now.

If past records mean nothing, what the hell were you talking about with the gibberish above?

9 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Who are these forward thinking clubs with proper business plans? 

Archived