Strangest thing you've ever eaten

On 25/12/2020 at 19:49, Bleep1673 said:

Christmas dinner on my own.

Makes a change from 2007 when I spent it with her Jamaican relatives. There was 22 at one point in the house, 3 sittings at dinner, various dodgy booze. And lots of stuff I'd never eaten or drunk.

(I have said it before, never drink neat Wray & Nephews Overproof)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

A colleague brought a bottle of that back from his holidays. We worked on the ground floor of the building, and someone upstairs remarked on the smell within seconds of him opening the bottle. Powerful stuff.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A colleague brought a bottle of that back from his holidays. We worked on the ground floor of the building, and someone upstairs remarked on the smell within seconds of him opening the bottle. Powerful stuff.

63% proof. It smells GREAT, but even from an ex-alcoholic, binge responsibly. And dont let it near a naked flame.

9 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

63% proof. It smells GREAT, but even from an ex-alcoholic, binge responsibly. And don't let it near a naked flame.

We have friends in Albania who have smuggled many bottles of home-distilled raki* to us over the years. Some of it, especially the stuff made from mulberries was, in my judgement, even more lethal than Wray & Nephews.

*the Albanian version is more like Italian grappa, as it doesn't have the aniseed that raki has when you head East of Albania.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

We have friends in Albania who have smuggled many bottles of home-distilled raki* to us over the years. Some of it, especially the stuff made from mulberries was, in my judgement, even more lethal than Wray & Nephews.

*the Albanian version is more like Italian grappa, as it doesn't have the aniseed that raki has when you head East of Albania.

I remember Raki, I just never remembered where I woke up & left my stomach.

It took me a 4 hour bus journey to get back to my hotel. 

44 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Makes a change from 2007 when I spent it with her Jamaican relatives. There was 22 at one point in the house, 3 sittings at dinner, various dodgy booze. And lots of stuff I'd never eaten or drunk.

That is the rum used to light up cocktails , I had a bottle bought from a visit to Gibraltar , along with a bottle of ' Poteen ' , which is even more serious than A & N 😱

Just looked , £ 117 a litre bottle 

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That is the rum used to light up cocktails , I had a bottle bought from a visit to Gibraltar , along with a bottle of ' Poteen ' , which is even more serious than A & N 😱

Ah, potcheen. When my parents went on holiday to Ireland, a man in a pub handed my dad a Radox bottle filled with a colourless liquid. On Dublin docks, their car was broken into and the bag on the back seat was grabbed. Later, the Irish police recovered it and returned it... with the bottle of illegal firewater still inside.

To this day, I choose to believe that the Garda knew exactly what it was, and maybe even opened it for a sniff to make sure, but turned a blind eye.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

My second job, when I was 20, was working in Trafford Park restoring Furniture for a charity, with some Irishmen. In the New Year (1984), a bottle appeared and thimble sized slugs were being passed around, I had a go, and nearly passed out it was so strong, the guy in the sealed booth who was the French polisher said even he could smell it in his booth, and banned it from his booth, as it might take the polish off a table he was working on.

29 minutes ago, Griff said:

Exactly how bland is your normal diet ?

bland is relative.

i tend to eat most things. 

This morning i started the day with a smoothie containing raw beetroot, silken tofu, spinach, carob liquid, blue berries, oats and a banana.... it depends on what's in the fridge and cupboard.

My local butcher in Canberra also sells frozen possum but i have absolutely no idea how to cook it.

I did ask for monkey in a restaurant once but it had already sold out.  A monkey had chased me through a town a week prior and it was going to be my revenge against the species.

I feel like typing out my complete story regarding the brief return to cannibalism in Borneo a few decades back and how a local told me i'd be safe if i visited "because we only eat Javanese"... but it'd be very much off topic. lol

1 hour ago, Copa said:

My local butcher in Canberra also sells frozen possum but i have absolutely no idea how to cook it.

At a guess, I'd suggest casseroling it. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 25/12/2020 at 08:03, Copa said:

I'm certain i've missed a few things.

I'm the sort of person to blame for covid!

Been lucky (or unlucky?) enough to try most of those things on my travels. I don’t know why, but I felt guilty after eating the bear and elk in a Pelmeni in Moscow on their Xmas day in early Jan.

The weirdest thing has to be some furry paws in a broth in Guangzhou, China. It was in a basement restaurant and I remember some locals looking down at me for holding my chopsticks half way down instead of at the top.

To this day I have no idea what the furry paws were, and nor do I want to know!

EDIT: The missus has convinced me to eat vegan 6 days a week (I still get fed on the 7th don’t worry) and despite it being weird initially, I actually feel a lot better for it. And the pigs in blankets on day 7 taste all the better! 

9 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

The missus has convinced me to eat vegan 6 days a week (I still get fed on the 7th don’t worry) and despite it being weird initially, I actually feel a lot better for it. And the pigs in blankets on day 7 taste all the better! 

In what way have you felt better?

1 minute ago, Copa said:

In what way have you felt better?

Less stress / anxiety , more endurance, less fatigue.

Not saying that everyone will have the same result, but it’s been pretty good for me.

A lot of credit probably has to go to the missus who cooks it all from scratch. We bought this book as we’re on a budget due to the pandemic:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1472263723/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_v3n7Fb6DQZ499

Most of the meals are a lot tastier than they look. We had Samosas and curry tonight.

Also Japan has some really weird flavours of ice cream, I worked for a Japan company for 7 years and I recall the particularly unpleasant experience of sampling horse ice cream. As someone said earlier, I think part of the fun for the Japanese is to see what revolting things they can get the Westerners to eat.

9 hours ago, Oldbear said:

experience of sampling horse ice cream

Sounds like a double-entendre for some sort of illegal fetish!

I remember the Kit-Kat shops in Japan. A whole store dedicated to a single type of British choc bar, but with all sorts of weird flavours. I bought a few boxes of the Wasabi-flavoured white chocolate kit-kat:

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I remember the Kit-Kat shops in Japan. A whole store dedicated to a single type of British choc bar, but with all sorts of weird flavours. I bought a few boxes of the Wasabi-flavoured white chocolate kit-kat:

You can get some of these Japanese variants in the UK, if you have an oriental supermarket nearby - the green tea one is a personal favourite. There's probably an importer somewhere who can supply the really bizarre ones, but I haven't come across one yet.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

spacer.png

You can buy all those at T&T Asian Supermarkets in Canada, have to say I have only been brave enough to try the green tea one!

On 31/12/2020 at 12:39, Cheshire Setter said:

spacer.png

I actually fancy wasabi kit-kat, I might try the shop on Queens Road.

Archived