Strangest thing you've ever eaten

Asking this as MasterChef the pro's is on 

Probably the strangest I've had is pigs brain , served up to me on a paper plate as I was stood at the bar of the old Leigh East RL club next to Hilton Park , my mate Lee Hansen was roasting a pig outside , I'd already been walking round with the tounge sticking out of my mouth , and then the brain turned up , yummy 😂

The other thing is I used to eat Paua fritters way back in the 70s in NZ , essentially a sea snail , a very distinct taste , used to knock my dad and brother sick 😁

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Asking this as MasterChef the pro's is on 

Probably the strangest I've had is pigs brain , served up to me on a paper plate as I was stood at the bar of the old Leigh East RL club next to Hilton Park , my mate Lee Hansen was roasting a pig outside , I'd already been walking round with the tounge sticking out of my mouth , and then the brain turned up , yummy 😂

The other thing is I used to eat Paua fritters way back in the 70s in NZ , essentially a sea snail , a very distinct taste , used to knock my dad and brother sick 😁

I will only say this once, (and I know that i have not posted for a long time)...so listen....you've got to do better than that!

Scorpions - very boring, mostly crunch, hardly any flavour, and bits get stuck in your teeth. Most insects need some added flavouring.

Crocodile burgers - bland white meat with a slightly fishy taste.

Zebra steak - dark red meat with a pleasant flavour, but very lean, which wasn't ideal for a steak. Wildebeeste was a similar experience, but more gamey.

Bison pie - delicious.

Some of the above was bought from this company: https://www.osgrow.com/products_results.php?Search=0 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Morton Bay Bugs in a restaurant under Sydney Harbour bridge

Garlic Snails in Carcassonne

My local butcher does Kangeroo/Ostrich steaks occasionally, and I have tried them both.

If I was on Saturday Kitchen Live, I would find it very difficult to find a food "Heaven", as I eat almost everything.

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

My local butcher does Kangeroo/Ostrich steaks occasionally, and I have tried them both.

If I was on Saturday Kitchen Live, I would find it very difficult to find a food "Heaven", as I eat almost everything.

Beetroot should be illegal.... otherwise, I'll pretty much eat anything. Escargots are delicious

I made ox heart and chestnut* curry yesterday, with enough to re-heat for either today or Sunday. Nice, but it needed a little more heat, so I've stirred in some chipotle chilli flakes in advance of the second serving.

*The chestnuts were only in there because I wanted to use up the remainder of the packet before they went off. They add bulk, but their flavour's pretty much lost in the sauce. I wouldn't use them in a curry normally.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Scorpions - very boring, mostly crunch, hardly any flavour, and bits get stuck in your teeth. Most insects need some added flavouring.

Crocodile burgers - bland white meat with a slightly fishy taste.

Zebra steak - dark red meat with a pleasant flavour, but very lean, which wasn't ideal for a steak. Wildebeeste was a similar experience, but more gamey.

Bison pie - delicious.

Some of the above was bought from this company: https://www.osgrow.com/products_results.php?Search=0 

I've had crocodile, don't really remember it. I've also had kangaroo and zebra burgers. One of them had a strong iron taste and the other was pretty bland and tasteless but I can't remember which was which. Bought them in Fulton Foods. 

I had a crocodile burger in an Irish pub in Cebu City in The Philippines. Remember the meat was quite dense but bland.

I had a zebra burger at the Great British Beer Festival, but strangely, apart from remembering that I ate it, cannot recall anything else.

Done the array of fried crickets and bugs in Thailand, but managed to avoid scorpion albeit I have been shown how to eat it.

Most horrific was matjes fillet while I was interrailing 30 years ago. We were in a bar in Berlin and were low on cash. It was the only meal we could afford and still buy some equally rancid Schultheiss beer (or s..tscheisse as we called it). We did not contemplate that for that price it was unlikely to be beef and were less than overjoyed to find that not only was it herring, but it was cold herring

46 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Shark in Bulgaria apparently and Buffalo.

I had Shark Vindaloo at Rick Steins place in Padstow on my 40th, I have since cooked it using Swordfish, you cook it as a steak, and make the sauce separate, then pour over the sauce and simmer until done.

I try to treat myself on my birthday with something unusual, and new, but as I get older, it's harder to find something new and different

2 hours ago, Jeff Stein said:

Most horrific was matjes fillet while I was interrailing 30 years ago. We were in a bar in Berlin and were low on cash. It was the only meal we could afford and still buy some equally rancid Schultheiss beer (or s..tscheisse as we called it). We did not contemplate that for that price it was unlikely to be beef and were less than overjoyed to find that not only was it herring, but it was clod herring

I like a bit of pickled herring, personally, whether it is rollmops or something from one of the Easter European shops in the neighbourhood.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I like a bit of pickled herring, personally, whether it is rollmops or something from one of the Easter European shops in the neighbourhood.

I bought a couple of tins of Czech pate earlier this year, I tasted it, and it was a bit dodgy, so I rang a Czech friend, and she said it was dog food. I turned the tin over and she was winding me up, It was Pork with fish. It was still nasty, but I was desperate, so I ate it.

Hardly strange to be honest, but sheep's brain. I was invited to a friend's sister's wedding party and the brains are served as a delicacy to close family. My friend insisted I try some of his, so I had a couple of forkfuls. It was not unpleasant, a bit like meaty porridge, but I haven't repeated the experience.

On a holiday in Egypt, my wife opted for camel while I had the beef (she is much more adventurous than I), but I did sample a bit of the camel. It was very similar to beef, iirc.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

11 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Ever eat a chipmunk?

5 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Hardly strange to be honest, but sheep's brain. I was invited to a friend's sister's wedding party and the brains are served as a delicacy to close family. My friend insisted I try some of his, so I had a couple of forkfuls. It was not unpleasant, a bit like meaty porridge, but I haven't repeated the experience

Last had it in South Africa back in 1967 when I had a Lebanese friend who invited me for lunch at his parents home around Easter. Told halfway through the meal we were eating sheep's brain which was quite edible but have never had it since. Traditional Lebanese Easter dish?  Here in Aus I have  eaten a witchetty grub which is an Aboriginal food.

Archived