Jump to content

Selling The Drama


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

I tend to agree but nowadays wingers are used as battering rams coming out from their 10 yards lines.  Suspect that impacts their focus in training (as in weights and physicality) and capabilities as the game wears on.

For me its one of the unfortunate changes to the game in that even the backs have to be capable of being battering rams - maybe a slight exaggeration....

This is one stat I would be interested in seeing tbh, the work rate of past wingers versus now. I always recall some wingers sharing the workload but I wonder how many carries they make versus now. 

Interestingly Offiah's most famous try was from a 2nd tackle drive from in his own 10m line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s criminal, in the 7 years since that semi final England have played 1 fixture in London, the attendance for that game was 35,569. Why don’t we play more Internationals in the Capital?

It's not much better but they played 2 and just had 1 cancelled, so it would have been 3 in the 7 years. 

England RL should be playing at home every year, with 1 in London imo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

It's not much better but they played 2 and just had 1 cancelled, so it would have been 3 in the 7 years. 

England RL should be playing at home every year, with 1 in London imo. 

That’s true, the other attendance was 44,393. So when we do play Internationals in the Capital they are a massive success, sadly we just choose to do so incredibly infrequently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Well it basically is, even if your neighbour goes sporadically.

It's ' basically ' the same Man Utd fans that attend Old Trafford who go to the Cup Final if they make it , similarily any other sport , blindingly obvious comes to mind 

Edited by GUBRATS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

I tend to agree but nowadays wingers are used as battering rams coming out from their 10 yards lines.  Suspect that impacts their focus in training (as in weights and physicality) and capabilities as the game wears on.

For me its one of the unfortunate changes to the game in that even the backs have to be capable of being battering rams - maybe a slight exaggeration....

 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is one stat I would be interested in seeing tbh, the work rate of past wingers versus now. I always recall some wingers sharing the workload but I wonder how many carries they make versus now. 

Interestingly Offiah's most famous try was from a 2nd tackle drive from in his own 10m line. 

I think the other thing we have to be mindful of in this chat is the effort and workload in defence that a winger has. While they may make 15 or 20 carries in a game, often as many as the middle forwards, they are not involved in the heavy workload in defence which may have a forward involved in 50 to a hundred collisions in a game.

I really don't think there is any evidence to suggest that the tackle 2 and 3 work a modern winger does blunts his attacking ability... you only have to see some of the ridiculously spectacular tries they score to see that.

  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think the other thing we have to be mindful of in this chat is the effort and workload in defence that a winger has. While they may make 15 or 20 carries in a game, often as many as the middle forwards, they are not involved in the heavy workload in defence which may have a forward involved in 50 to a hundred collisions in a game.

I really don't think there is any evidence to suggest that the tackle 2 and 3 work a modern winger does blunts his attacking ability... you only have to see some of the ridiculously spectacular tries they score to see that.

Neither do I. Wingers still score the classic length of the field tries and still have pace to burn when doing so. Yes they are much more all round players these days and do more work but as you say the extra workload is mainly carries and they generally do get good recovery time in between their work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

It’s not the same at all though. You’re trying to argue that it’s obvious that RL fans go to RL matches, which is true. But for its bigger events, like Magic and the CC Final and Internationals it needs to appeal to a wider fan base. But the crowds at Magic, Internationals and CCF show that this just isn’t happening.

The same people who go to regular games are relied upon to fill big stadiums, whereas other sports can get more casual punters who might not normally bother. Try getting a ticket for England RU at Twickenham for example or the Wimbledon finals (who definitely don’t rely on regular tennis fans) 

Look at the RLWC semi in 2013, that was an occasion where allegedly a fair percentage of the crowd was ‘local’ to Wembley. But what happened by way of follow up? Nothing. Hence those people drift away and RL relies on the same old people cos it’s an easier option. 

That's because they'll only attend cup finals 🙄

Because that's what people do , I've just pointed out that somebody I know attended 2 high profile games played by Leigh in 2017 , there were plenty more , there were people in Perpignan who I've never seen at a home game in years , similarily at Newcastle 

Some people are like that , they only attend big games and cup finals , friends of ours ' big ' 😂 Wigan fans , go to Wembley when Wigan play , they went to Barcelona , they booked for Toronto , they've not been in the DW for years 

It's what people do 😱

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

 

I think the other thing we have to be mindful of in this chat is the effort and workload in defence that a winger has. While they may make 15 or 20 carries in a game, often as many as the middle forwards, they are not involved in the heavy workload in defence which may have a forward involved in 50 to a hundred collisions in a game.

I really don't think there is any evidence to suggest that the tackle 2 and 3 work a modern winger does blunts his attacking ability... you only have to see some of the ridiculously spectacular tries they score to see that.

maybe, it for sure doesn't impact some of the spectacular tries, especially those diving on the edge of touch. Surely it impacts what training focus they have, lot more weights and physicality type which must impact other aspects... plus those 2nd and 3rd are often when the opposition are pressing down on the 10 yards to restrict and hence full of aggressive physicality. Must impact their wider play as the game wears on...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think we have a real weakness with our international game, and that is around scheduling and consistency of scheduling. When we stage games we often tap into this event market (not always I will add, but I put that down to alck of continuity and some unambitious scheduling). You mention the semi final and it is a good example, as are the Tri and Four Nations games in London - when we stage them we do tap into these populations, it's why I think the growth is most likely to come from the internationals, a point I made in one of my first posts on this thread. 

I think we have a regular audience I. E. Those who go to regular SL rounds at Wigan, Leeds, St Helens etc. and many of these will go to events, but then we do also have an event population who would maybe never go to a regular game, but enjoy the finals and internationals. I think that's the same as other sports, but their international schedule actually allows for momentum to be built up. We are always starting from scratch. 

It is clear when you do attend a test match in London that we are able to tap into the event crowds, but you're right in that we haven't capitalised on 2013. It's a shame as the Test at Spurs scheduled for 2020 could have been awesome leading into a World Cup year with a game at Arsenal. 

Spot on , international competition is the ONLY way RL will grow 

So who are we playing ? 🤔

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That’s true, the other attendance was 44,393. So when we do play Internationals in the Capital they are a massive success, sadly we just choose to do so incredibly infrequently.

Shouldn't you be on a plane to Thailand for the 9s ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Spot on , international competition is the ONLY RL will grow 

So who are we playing ? 🤔

Well next year we are playing Samoa, France and Greece. And then after that (if we get through) we will go on to play some of Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Cook Islands, Fiji, Jamaica, Scotland, Italy, Papua New Guinea, Wales, Ireland or Lebanon. 

  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Well next year we are playing Samoa, France and Greece. And then after that (if we get through) we will go on to play some of Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Cook Islands, Fiji, Jamaica, Scotland, Italy, Papua New Guinea, Wales, Ireland or Lebanon. 

Should be interesting , will Wigan's team of 3/4 years ago be good enough to beat France and Samoa ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Well next year we are playing Samoa, France and Greece. And then after that (if we get through) we will go on to play some of Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Cook Islands, Fiji, Jamaica, Scotland, Italy, Papua New Guinea, Wales, Ireland or Lebanon. 

So what's happening in 2022 ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Well next year we are playing Samoa, France and Greece. And then after that (if we get through) we will go on to play some of Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Cook Islands, Fiji, Jamaica, Scotland, Italy, Papua New Guinea, Wales, Ireland or Lebanon. 

Need to arrange 2022 games against 3 to 6 of those asap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Well next year we are playing Samoa, France and Greece. And then after that (if we get through) we will go on to play some of Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Cook Islands, Fiji, Jamaica, Scotland, Italy, Papua New Guinea, Wales, Ireland or Lebanon. 

Are we ? 🤔😂

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Need to arrange 2022 games against 3 to 6 of those asap.

It really shouldn't be that difficult to arrange end of season games, alternating between the northern and southern hemisphere, to take us though to the 2025 World Cup. In Rugby League though, for some reason, it is infuriatingly difficult!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Damien said:

It really shouldn't be that difficult to arrange end of season games, alternating between the northern and southern hemisphere, to take us though to the 2025 World Cup. In Rugby League though, for some reason, it is infuriatingly difficult!

Like a 4 nation's thingy , with a tournament to decide the 4 th team ? 🤔😉😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

It really shouldn't be that difficult to arrange end of season games, alternating between the northern and southern hemisphere, to take us though to the 2025 World Cup. In Rugby League though, for some reason, it is infuriatingly difficult!

Absolutely, but tbh even end of season is limiting it. No reason why England can't play Wales, Ireland, and France before September 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely, but tbh even end of season is limiting it. No reason why England can't play Wales, Ireland, and France before September 

It should be a given that we play other northern hemisphere teams in season and southern hemisphere teams at the end of season. This is logical and is what can be easily facilitated. It also means no dependence on the NRL for mid season international opposition. 2 or 3 mid season matches with 3 or 4 end of season and we instantly have a pretty good international calendar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Damien said:

It should be a given that we play other northern hemisphere teams in season and southern hemisphere teams at the end of season. This is logical and is what can be easily facilitated. It also means no dependence on the NRL for mid season international opposition. 2 or 3 mid season matches with 3 or 4 end of season and we instantly have a pretty good international calendar.

But we can't because we have P and R 🤔😉😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

It should be a given that we play other northern hemisphere teams in season and southern hemisphere teams at the end of season. This is logical and is what can be easily facilitated. It also means no dependence on the NRL for mid season international opposition. 2 or 3 mid season matches with 3 or 4 end of season and we instantly have a pretty good international calendar.

Absolutely, but enough of the people who matter think we need to see Cas v Leigh 3 times a season and enough coaches think internationals hamper their season, which up to press has stumped any plans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...