Selling The Drama

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure of your point. There is nothing controversial in my statement. 

For every value we have or thing we do as a sport, many others can point to doing the same things. We can talk about being embedded in the community and so on (and we do, and should talk about this), but so are all the other sports, the issue is how we get the message out. 

My point is that the stories and everything else is just the same as other sports. We all have heroic efforts, great battles, controversy etc. the story ain't that important, what's important is doing all the small things I listed in my earlier post. 

The best sports with the best stories aren't always the most popular. 

I agree its not controversial at all.

My point is, as Johnoco alluded to, that if you just say "we're offering the same as everyone else", you'll get judged by that context and get the coverage and interest levels that judgement warrants.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tommygilf said:

I agree its not controversial at all.

My point is, as Johnoco alluded to, that if you just say "we're offering the same as everyone else", you'll get judged by that context and get the coverage and interest levels that judgement warrants.

Why would you say that? 

The other sports don't say that. But they also don't necessarily try and show how they are different, they just do their business well. 

The point is about stories, tbh, the stories take care of themselves, during the season we have loads, and each club and player has their own as part of their season launches. 

It's how we do all the things that is most important, not what we are talking about. 

13 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I have said before that I was never more excited and optimistic around a SL season than at the start of 2020.

So what are the big stories to get me up for 2021 Super League? What is the drama that will draw new fans in and hold their engagement?

I was "excited and optimistic at the start of 2020" when the RFL announced the players would be required to play the ball correctly.

They could make the same announcement in 2021, but there wouldn`t be the same drama this time. Mind you, it`s possible to enjoy watching some whodunnits a second time, even though you know who did it.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I agree with this.

Toronto is a missed opportunity no doubt and no offense to the original poster but we cannot build our sport around two Union players (one 35 and one only joining our game because he was sacked from the Wallabies) and the odd Australian player looking for a final pay day.

What we actually got in 2020 despite the unprecedented circumstances was two great games in the Challenge Cup and  Super League Finals.  Two games full of passion, courage and skill.  And these are the things we should be building our sport around and selling - the great players and great games they consistently produce.

I'm glad you said this because I just thought the basic premise of the OP was total rubbish and the kind of slant likely to appear in any of the rags dressing up as newspapers and by any of the hacks posing as rugby correspondents.

All, in all if I want that kind of rubbish I could buy a paper. By the way does Brexit mean we can wrap our chips in Newspaper once again because it's all their good for and at least some good could come out of it all for British Culture.

😉

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Other sports ? , Or the broadcasters of other sports ?

Either will do.

But for the latter - it would be good to show the link between work done centrally (press releases etc) with the outcome, or show that the broadcaster themselves wanted a narrative and presented it independently.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Why would you say that? 

The other sports don't say that. But they also don't necessarily try and show how they are different, they just do their business well. 

The point is about stories, tbh, the stories take care of themselves, during the season we have loads, and each club and player has their own as part of their season launches. 

It's how we do all the things that is most important, not what we are talking about. 

Only football don't really, and that's because they have done the ground work for 3 decades to establish themselves not only as a superior sporting competition in England, but the biggest and best sporting league in the World. In fact I take it back, the premier league don't anymore, but its constitutuent clubs certainly do.

You can see how sports such as F1 and Football generate their own stories and use them to generate further content for their broadcast partners which in a self-fulfilling process generates more interest. They also do it consistently with minimal down time in season.

I really don't think its a controversial point I'm making considering Super League themselves have produced a 4 part Sky/Amazon documentary covering last season, the produced a new Magazine show and podcast with the dedicated purpose of telling more interesting stories, they have changed the imaging and branding of the league and some specific clubs too, even Leeds have made a "Golden Generation" documentary. They see there is a problem in messaging and are trying things to change that because being a less good version of football isn't good enough in areas with massive football popularity that virtually every RL club exists in.

What am i looking forward to ... 
1) My team playing and seeing them play ( season ticket in the christmas stocking thankyou santa )

2) The World Cup . Gonna be a humdinger , England to win 

3) I count the days to the NRL starts . New rules looking good for a great viewing spectacle .

4) 2021 being a lot less f@£#-%d up generally ...

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

" Can Saints leave it to the last second again ? " would be what I'd expect to see 

" 3rd time lucky for Leigh ? " 

" Will this be Warrington's year ? " 😂

All narratives I'd expect to see our broadcaster use 

Got to admit the first one is something to wish for again... that is a whole season of uncertainty comes down to the last second for a conclusion...

I'm no Basketball fan but must admit I'm amazed by some of the last play wins that have been known... the whole excitement around those are remembered by my American friends/colleagues for yonks afterwards,,,  and here we have our own equivalent...

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Only football don't really, and that's because they have done the ground work for 3 decades to establish themselves not only as a superior sporting competition in England, but the biggest and best sporting league in the World. In fact I take it back, the premier league don't anymore, but its constitutuent clubs certainly do.

You can see how sports such as F1 and Football generate their own stories and use them to generate further content for their broadcast partners which in a self-fulfilling process generates more interest. They also do it consistently with minimal down time in season.

I really don't think its a controversial point I'm making considering Super League themselves have produced a 4 part Sky/Amazon documentary covering last season, the produced a new Magazine show and podcast with the dedicated purpose of telling more interesting stories, they have changed the imaging and branding of the league and some specific clubs too, even Leeds have made a "Golden Generation" documentary. They see there is a problem in messaging and are trying things to change that because being a less good version of football isn't good enough in areas with massive football popularity that virtually every RL club exists in.

We are at crossed purposes, because I'm not sure why you are making the above point to me. 

My earlier post talks about doing all the above well. 

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Which brings us back to being in a position to produce our own broadcasting content , either all of it , or all apart from the live production of SL games , Scotchy ! , Where are you ?

10 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Got to admit the first one is something to wish for again... that is a whole season of uncertainty comes down to the last second for a conclusion...

I'm no Basketball fan but must admit I'm amazed by some of the last play wins that have been known... the whole excitement around those are remembered by my American friends/colleagues for yonks afterwards,,,  and here we have our own equivalent...

Which should be ' milked to death ' by our broadcast ' partner ' 🙄

But will it ? 

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

Not just well though. Football can afford to do it well. RL needs something extra. What that is, I’ve no idea but it desperately needs more profile and interest from the wider public.

There is no silver bullet. 

Doing things well is the answer. 

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

If you do something well in the woods and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound? 
There’s no point plodding on doing workmanlike things if the number of people taking notice is getting less and less. 
They could make an excellent season preview video (as they have done) but if no one is listening it’s irrelevant. 

Who is the ' they ' John ?

19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Which brings us back to being in a position to produce our own broadcasting content , either all of it , or all apart from the live production of SL games , Scotchy ! , Where are you ?

I hope that is what Elstone wants PE for.

11 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

If you do something well in the woods and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound? 
There’s no point plodding on doing workmanlike things if the number of people taking notice is getting less and less. 
They could make an excellent season preview video (as they have done) but if no one is listening it’s irrelevant. 

If you don't get the message out then you are not doing the things well. 

My list included marketing, social media and broadcasting for example. 

Just now, Johnoco said:

Why are you asking me?

It's a MB , for people to discuss and give their opinions 

For me , it's all 4s responsibility , so I wonder how much pressure is brought by the first 3 on the 4th to help them produce and distribute the ' narrative ' within their platform 

How often do we see SKYs ' New Year Of SPORT ' , or SKYs ' Autumn Of SPORT ' not include much if any RL ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

How often do we see SKYs ' New Year Of SPORT ' , or SKYs ' Autumn Of SPORT ' not include much if any RL ?

All the more reason for giving half the cake for half the dosh. Sky have been a very good partner & they used to be a great partner, I wonder why?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived