1970 World Cup Question

JohnM

I realise it was 51 years ago but...

1. Anyone know what the V and G were in the V and G Trophy?

2. Anyone know if there is any footage of the final? Looked but can't find any.

( by this time I'd moved darn sarf for a couple of years and missed it)

I have this but no explanation of V and G

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/oct/24/joy-of-six-rugby-league-world-cup

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

I realise it was 51 years ago but...

1. Anyone know what the V and G were in the V and G Trophy?

2. Anyone know if there is any footage of the final? Looked but can't find any.

( by this time I'd moved darn sarf for a couple of years and missed it)

I’m sure I saw some footage of it on the RL Cares Facebook page a while ago.

Not sure what the V&G stands for,I think it was a sponsor,with the trophy replacing the Paul Barriere Trophy which wasn’t being used for this tournament and  was stolen whilst on display.

12 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I’m sure I saw some footage of it on the RL Cares Facebook page a while ago.

Not sure what the V&G stands for,I think it was a sponsor,with the trophy replacing the Paul Barriere Trophy which wasn’t being used for this tournament and  was stolen whilst on display.

After winning the tournament, the Australian team put the World Cup trophy on display in the Midland Hotel in Bradford. From there it was stolen and remained unseen for the next 20 years.

The trophy was found in 1990 by Bradford resident Stephen Uttley and his wife Elizabeth in a ditch near a rugby club in Bingley,

1 hour ago, POR said:

After winning the tournament, the Australian team put the World Cup trophy on display in the Midland Hotel in Bradford. From there it was stolen and remained unseen for the next 20 years.

The trophy was found in 1990 by Bradford resident Stephen Uttley and his wife Elizabeth in a ditch near a rugby club in Bingley,

There's more detail about the theft and recovery in the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Barrière_Trophy 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, POR said:

It was stolen 6 days before the final but a new sponsors trophy was going to be presented to the winners,that’s why the Paul Barriere trophy was on display.

Went to the game as a youngster, after a 3 test series in Aus ( the last time we won one) that summer and a game earlier in the competition there was a lot of 'feeling' between the respective teams that came out that day. It was Rugby League Jim but not as we know it now, scores being settled, payback's, off the ball stuff, you needed three pairs of eyes to take it all in. It's available on DVD from Harry Edgar's Rugby League Journal and well worth the watch to see just how tough/dirty the game could be back then, though with less camera's than now the BBC coverage missed a lot of what went on.

As stated V&G was Vehicle & General insurance.

17 hours ago, robins up north said:

May have been Vehicle & General an insurance company who went into liquidation a few years later.

It was The Vehicle & General Insurance Group they have their adverts on the back cover of the Final programme

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

There's more detail about the theft and recovery in the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Barrière_Trophy 

Although when Wiki says no trophy could be presented in 1970, YouTube footage shows the winning captain raising  a trophy.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Went to the game as a youngster, after a 3 test series in Aus ( the last time we won one) that summer and a game earlier in the competition there was a lot of 'feeling' between the respective teams that came out that day. It was Rugby League Jim but not as we know it now, scores being settled, payback's, off the ball stuff, you needed three pairs of eyes to take it all in. It's available on DVD from Harry Edgar's Rugby League Journal and well worth the watch to see just how tough/dirty the game could be back then, though with less camera's than now the BBC coverage missed a lot of what went on.

As stated V&G was Vehicle & General insurance.

Seem to remember that in the aftermath of the game a Leeds City councillor tried to get the game banned in the city's schools!

Archived