Match Thread: Challenge Cup First Round, Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Sunday-21st-March-2021

marklaspalmas

5 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Right. I'd go with Hardcastle myself, but Whitton showed up well, didn't he?

He did indeed.

Hardcastle is versatile. He can and will play anywhere and do whatever is expected of him. 

He's one of those lads who plays like he's got to prove himself every week. A top lad I've a lot of time for

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought for the day: Five years ago, in 2016, Dane Chisholm, Kris Welham and Dale Ferguson all lined up in a huge game at Post Office Road.

They were on the losing side as Fev beat Bradford 20-0 in a game which decided which team would make the play-offs and which the Championship shield, with massive financial implications.

Bradford quickly went into a financial nosedive and to a degree are still recovering from that day.

Let's hope that Chisholm, Welham and Ferguson are on the winning side this time!

Bulls squad announced. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Squad announcement, which I think was coming out around midday last year, still not been made. Wonder if we're giving it until the last minute to see if Moors' visa comes through?

No announcement by Fev but a squad list is on the RFL website.

Confusingly, it's a 19-man squad whilst Bradford seem to have announced 20 players, so I'm taking this with a pinch of salt for a while.

However, there's no Nu Brown or Tom Holmes in the Fev squad. With only 19 players named, we'll have to wait for more details from the club I guess, Webster did mention that he had a couple of head injuries to players.

There's also no Ferres, no Moors (whose visa perhaps still hasn't come through), no Kris Welham. We'll have to see what the final 21 is but I'm hoping that RFL website is wrong!

21 man squad. 

ROVERS SQUAD NAMED FOR BULL CLASH | Featherstone Rovers

Brett Ferres and Joe Summers continue miss out due to injuries, Kris Welham is going through return to play protocols after self-isolating, Tom Holmes is recovering from a minor knock and the club are still awaiting VISA clearance on Junior Moors.

thumbnail_21-man-squad-mcconnell.jpg

Just now, Cardypaul said:

No Welham or Holmes tactical or injury?

Welham isolating, Holmes has a knock according to the previous post. 

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Not impressed with Brown so far , lets just hope he steps up to the plate. Presumably he will play  stand off in the absence of Sherlock,.

Keep Broughy quiet and we should win.

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

John Davies not included and not mentioned?

Presumably therefore not injured or selected. That's going to be the issue week in week out now we have more than 21 players to select from, and I can guarantee on here a weekly outrage that someone hasn't been selected. 😉

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

Assuming Nu Brown is available (still a bit puzzled at Spence's inclusion and Brown's omission on the RFL website) then we're probably looking at:
Hall
Gale
Hardcastle
Minns
Blackmore
Brown
Chisholm
Kopczak
Jones
Harrison
Day
Halton
Lockwood
subs
Parata
Ferguson
and then perm 2 from the remainder - Coops and Bussey for me though Webster seems keen on Field and he likes to have a back on the bench.

11 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Presumably therefore not injured or selected. That's going to be the issue week in week out now we have more than 21 players to select from, and I can guarantee on here a weekly outrage that someone hasn't been selected. 😉

Well I wouldn't describe my feelings as "outrage" as such, but I also would've thought Davies would be picked ahead of say Spence or McConnell in a 21 man squad. Hence the question about a possible injury/covid shielding situation that hasn't been mentioned.

52 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Well I wouldn't describe my feelings as "outrage" as such, but I also would've thought Davies would be picked ahead of say Spence or McConnell in a 21 man squad. Hence the question about a possible injury/covid shielding situation that hasn't been mentioned.

How can you leave John Davie out of the 17 unless he is injured or not well.Hope Webster knows what he gets from Davies which is 100% effort and good work in attack and defence.He has played well in the time on the pitch in the friendlies.So i hope Webster is saving him for the League.Its a good job we have not been paying Ferres wages,not been impressed at all by his contribution so far.Although when he went back to Leeds i thought he performed much better than with us.

2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

How can you leave John Davie out of the 17 unless he is injured or not well.Hope Webster knows what he gets from Davies which is 100% effort and good work in attack and defence.He has played well in the time on the pitch in the friendlies.So i hope Webster is saving him for the League.Its a good job we have not been paying Ferres wages,not been impressed at all by his contribution so far.Although when he went back to Leeds i thought he performed much better than with us.

don,t reckon you will see much of ferres this season as you have far superior forwards at your disposal

1 hour ago, Dog forever said:

I fancy fev to turn over bulls. I been looking but its not on our league. How do I get to watch the match.

The BBC will once again bring you live action from the 2021 Challenge Cup, broadcasting two third-round fixtures, two quarter-finals, the semi-final and final.

You can catch live coverage of the first-round ties - West Wales Raiders v Widnes Vikings and Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Bulls - on the Red Button, BBC iPlayer and on the BBC Sport website and app - and if you miss any of the action, both games will be available for catch-up on the iPlayer.

Sunday, 22 March

12:30-14:30: West Wales Raiders v Widnes Vikings - BBC Red Button, BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website 15:00-16:45: Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Bulls - BBC Red Button, BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website

1 hour ago, Dog forever said:

I fancy fev to turn over bulls. I been looking but its not on our league. How do I get to watch the match.

It's on BBC, through iplayer/red button. 

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

On 19/03/2021 at 19:11, marklaspalmas said:

John Davies not included and not mentioned?

i think they will only give reasons for players like Holmes Welham  Chizzy et  al who fans think are nailed on for the seventeen whist squad players like john's  inclusion is down to coaches choice so reasons for not being in  the 21 will not be mentioned having said that if there was an injury to a player i'm sure  fans would be told about it and his  recovery details

Given they've mentioned that Joe Summers, who most Fev fans wouldn't recognise if they bumped into him, is injured, it seems reasonable to assume that Davies has just not been selected.

Tricky one this. On the one hand, JD is the epitome of the fan's favourite type of player, in that he does a lot of very obviously visible good stuff and his weaknesses are perhaps not the most obvious ones.

He also has a bit of a reputation as being dour/not the most upbeat, many will remember Jon Sharp commenting about this. We don't see training sessions so that's the big gap in our knowledge when commenting on selection.

That said...must say I'm struggling to see Callum Field and Louie McConnell preferred to JD, if that's what's happened. But as fans we don't always know the full story.

Excited about today, come on Fev!

41 minutes ago, POR said:

i think they will only give reasons for players like Holmes Welham  Chizzy et  al who fans think are nailed on for the seventeen whist squad players like john's  inclusion is down to coaches choice so reasons for not being in  the 21 will not be mentioned having said that if there was an injury to a player i'm sure  fans would be told about it and his  recovery details

If Davies is not good enough to get into our 17 i have wasted 65 yrs watching the game as i have learned nothing.

Archived