New Welsh Community Club

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I had to Google Gwendreath Valley. Looks like it’s near Llanelli and WWR, good to see another club in that neck of the woods. 

It’s launched by the Raiders, it’s essentially what Raiders used to be before becoming WWR as an amateur outfit then semi-pro.

Llanelli based amateur sides have struggled in recent years for decent numbers but it’s good to see them back. A team in Swansea is a must over the next few years 

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

How many community clubs are there in Wales now?

Some adults and juniors, some one but not the other.

1. Torfaen

2. Cardiff

3. Aber Valley

4. Rhondda

5. Bridgend

6. Gwendraeth

7. Wrexham

8. Valley Cougars

9. Conwy

10. Flintshire

11. Cynon Valley

2 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Some adults and juniors, some one but not the other.

1. Torfaen

2. Cardiff

3. Aber Valley

4. Rhondda

5. Bridgend

6. Gwendraeth

7. Wrexham

8. Valley Cougars

9. Conwy

10. Flintshire

11. Cynon Valley

Only three in North Wales? I often think that would be the area to target, if there was any sort of a strategy, as it’s closer to the heartlands and less of a Union hotbed. I appreciate that without people who want to do it and people to invest money it’s unlikely to happen though. 

55 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Only three in North Wales? I often think that would be the area to target, if there was any sort of a strategy, as it’s closer to the heartlands and less of a Union hotbed. I appreciate that without people who want to do it and people to invest money it’s unlikely to happen though. 

WRL have only just started to rebuild things in North Wales alongside NW Crusaders. Things have been non-existent (aside from the Cru and North Wales Origin rep sides) in the last few years. These 3 are the initial signs of the rebuild.

Important to remember the lack of large population centres in north and mid-Wales. 4/5 clubs is optimum, sustainable and achievable I’d imagine

41 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Just this morning I’ve seen that Anglesey have a team called Marchogion Knights - they will aim to play 4 Friendlies this year.

Good luck to them. 

Marchogion means Knights so presumably they're one in Welsh and translated in English?

Be good to know more about them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm uncertain, so don't want to make a strong claim, but there's a lot of talk about Aberavon Fighting Irish, playing this Summer. I hope it comes off. 

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

If they have 8 clubs (and growing) they have enough on with developing that.  

The message I would give would be to grow each age group, year on year.  

For those interested in finding out more about the Knights, this is a link to their FB announcement.

https://www.facebook.com/106864588209773/posts/106942188202013/

The West Wales Raiders is promoting that Fighting Irish is back, at least at a Junior level.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=902470027195310&id=100022969636655

That means there could be 13 active clubs in Wales this year which is massive.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

5 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

For those interested in finding out more about the Knights, this is a link to their FB announcement.

The West Wales Raiders is promoting that Fighting Irish is back, at least at a Junior level.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=902470027195310&id=100022969636655

Just a minor point but in Welsh Rugby Union, the term ''junior'' has always been applied to those clubs below ''first class''. The term ''first class club'' has gone by the wayside since the formation of the four regional teams but older people (like me) remember well, what's implied when those terms are used.

So in this article, when the author refers to ''junior'' clubs he means ''amateur'' rather than ''semi-pro'' like the WWR.

As far as I know, the Fighting Irish will take to the field in open-age competition. 

59 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

If they have 8 clubs (and growing) they have enough on with developing that.  

The message I would give would be to grow each age group, year on year.  

Are there 8 clubs in N Wales then? Great if so 👍

57 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Just a minor point but in Welsh Rugby Union, the term ''junior'' has always been applied to those clubs below ''first class''. The term ''first class club'' has gone by the wayside since the formation of the four regional teams but older people (like me) remember well, what's implied when those terms are used.

So in this article, when the author refers to ''junior'' clubs he means ''amateur'' rather than ''semi-pro'' like the WWR.

As far as I know, the Fighting Irish will take to the field in open-age competition. 

That makes more sense. Thank you, appreciate the background info.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Just out of interest for the WWR lads, Ewan Badham (I think there is also another brother at Hull) signed a couple of years ago for Hull academy and is now going out to WWR.  Cutting below is from the Hull FC website.

“Meanwhile elsewhere in the Black & White ranks, Hull FC Academy youngster Ewan Badham has joined Betfred League One side West Wales Raiders on loan – the Welshman joined the club for the remainder of the 2021 season.”

5 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Thanks for that Yak.. We have a holiday booked on Anglesey for the summer so will see if the dates will workout to pop along (or if the rest of the family mind me popping off for a little while).

Archived