NARL (Merged threads)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

And is that the ultimate aim? To 'not die'? Great.

No, the 'it won't die' was not the aim, it was to pre-empt the usual 'well we will die'. 

RL is a fantastic sport, important to a lot of people and a lot of communities. Of course I'd like it to be big in places like Edinburgh, but I won't bash it because it ain't. 

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

This isn't about Leigh. I never mentioned them

This isn't about Toronto either , or Coventry , or Hemel , or any other UK club , or the RFL ,or the NRL , or any UK RL fan , it's about a North American attempt to create a product that could then be sold in parts for profit ,nothing else 

So if you wish to discuss that , feel free , otherwise don't drift a thread , then decide there are only certain parts of it you want to debate 

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Not dying is not the same as reaching anything like potential. It's a bit like being Jimi Hendrix and settling for playing in pub cover bands. 

Which is pretty much what RL has done.

RL ? Which bit ? , This is about money , nothing to do with RL 

18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Nope, it was about the 'not happening NARL'. It since then drifted into aspects of how many RL fans view outsiders becoming involved and actively hoping they fail. 

You keep bringing up Toronto and Leigh. 

Yes to explain where we have seen much of the animosity and wishing to fail has come from , and the reason for it , which I have asked you your opinion on , you have declined to offer it 

You also insinuate that it is typical of RL , when it has no actual relevance to anything done previously by any RL body in the world , as I pointed out IMO it was and is purely an attempt to make the organisers money by selling it's constituent parts 

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Not dying is not the same as reaching anything like potential. It's a bit like being Jimi Hendrix and settling for playing in pub cover bands. 

Which is pretty much what RL has done.

If you want to view it like that you can. Or it could be viewed as a minor niche sport doing rather well for itself in a very competitive market. 

There is a fair argument that RL really should have been killed off by the far bigger sports they are up against. 

I know you are into your music, I expect all of your favourite bands aren't the ones filling the stadiums each time. 

14 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So am I not a fan because I went ? , Or because I left ? 

both.. 

it was a joke btw.. everyone on here complains that there are not internationals, then when they do put them on they complain about where they are, then they complain that no one turns up or they complain that the wrong people turn up because its northerners at Wembley not those from the south etc etc

On 07/06/2021 at 09:36, RP London said:

It almost sounds as though they have read some of the posts that have been on this forum on how American Franchise leagues work (pay to be a part of it etc) and thought "ooh i'll have some of that" and just set it up rather than doing the leg work to do things properly. 

Bad timing, definitely, with a global pandemic but terrible planning by the sounds of it and desperate to get it going far far too early. This should have been "set up" and announced as the plan with "we are inviting bids for a start in 2022 or 2023" as the main thrust and they can then spend time getting the money involved and getting people to bid to buy teams entry etc. 

12 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The same route which other sports have taken here: a top-down franchised fully pro major league with the franchises sold to big-money investors who'll get the same legal rights, support from the league office as they set up their franchise, etc. which they'd get if they bought an expansion franchise in one of the established major pro leagues.  Of course such a league would need a unique selling point to stand out from those other major pro leagues, especially as the vast majority over here don't even know that two versions of rugby exist.

it took 4 pages but there it is!

BP we get it.. you dont have to put it on every thread.. they are trying it.. its working really well so far!

2 hours ago, RP London said:

it took 4 pages but there it is!

BP we get it.. you dont have to put it on every thread.. they are trying it.. its working really well so far!

😂

The thing is I would love what BP says, I'm sure plenty would. However it is fantasy pie in the sky stuff unless an investor or investors stump up the cash and makes it happen. In the absence of that it is certainly no solution and certainly not worth continually repeating as the answer to everything.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

😂

The thing is I would love what BP says, I'm sure plenty would. However it is fantasy pie in the sky stuff unless an investor or investors stump up the cash and makes it happen. In the absence of that it is certainly no solution and certainly not worth continually repeating as the answer to everything.

You're absolutely right about the need for big investors, without that no RL competition over here could ever attract the sort of money to make an impact.  A league backed by principals who "cashed in their mortgages and their kids' education funds" as Rob Curtis was recorded telling the players at Cleveland's combine is a long way short of clearing the bar.

Below is from the DC Cavalry Facebook page. They remain fully behind the NARL and look to be spending this year setting up a proper club structure in advance of next season. Along with the TWP season ticket announcement today, and other developments, hopefully solid foundations are being put in place for a sustainable NARL or equivalent comp next year.

DC Cavalry Rugby League

7 June at 17:54  · 

To our DC Cavalry Fans,

Early today, the NARL made an announcement that the inaugural season will be pushed back to Spring 2022. Full Statement here: https://tinyurl.com/53p2bf4

We are behind the league's decision and will support them in preparation for Spring 2022.

As a club, our plans to grow the sport of Rugby League in the DC/VA area will continue to move ahead this summer. We are already in talks with NARL teams to compete this summer, stream the games live online and host in person friendly's for our fans.

In addition, we plan to announce our Academy later this summer and host youth workouts and tryouts around the DC/VA area.

We hope to be announcing major partners in the coming weeks, as well as our Online Fans Store, so stay tuned.

Thank you all for the support,

#TheCavalryIsComing

• 1 month later...
On 04/06/2021 at 18:56, Hemi4561 said:

Longer the better, being positive about something that you wish for is one thing, being blinding stupid no matter how dodgy a scheme seems to be, and ignoring similar ideas that have failed previously does not make you a victim of posters on a forum, only yourself and those involved in those schemes. 

You calling me blindingly stupid is a reflection of the size of the your own brain saddo. Try and learn to express yourself in a normal way if you can  by the way, I teach physics to secondary so hopefully am not "blindingly stupid" as you put it mister internet warrior

7 minutes ago, Hello said:

You're calling me blindingly stupid is a reflection of the size of the your own brain saddo. By the way, I teach physics to secondary school and have achieved best results in my region two years in succession. What do you do, get paid pittance to jump on a bandwagon? 

When teaching physics do you deal with the concept of the passage of time? 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

When teaching physics do you deal with the concept of the passage of time? 

It's flexible apparently. Sorry, point taken, I would never normally be so pretentious as to bring my job into a post, but that guy right got my Goat. I hadn't actually read his response from a few weeks back until tonight cos I couldn't face the narrow minded attitudes I'm used to seeing on here.

Archived