NARL (Merged threads)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Very disappointing but its interesting how it says this year. I always felt it was always a strange time to start this, in the middle of a pandemic, so hopefully it may still happen next year.

It is disappointing but I think the focus in the US should be on the USARL and the growth of that competition

Sad, but what I expected since day 1.  There were too many things dodgy about this.  All hype, no substance.  Clubs being plucked out of thin-air and going directly to semi-professional level, just cannot work, not in any world.

Also, for some of you still believing this might happen in 2022, please, don't torture yourself with such false hopes.  I just hope they bury this whole idea and start again, with something more realistic. 

Good luck to everyone on the ground in the USA!  This is just a speed bump, keep fighting the good fight!

Let's be honest and not ffaf around and best about the bush.  This story is music to the ears of so many on here who pretend to be supportive of expansion of the sport but who will actually now revel in saying "I told you so, our sport cannot expand." Serious question - can anyone on this forum name any other sport in the entire world that actually actively enjoys NOT expanding it's footprint as much as RL?

Very disappointing, while it seemed too good to be true I had hoped it would come off. Hopefully it will next year, in some format or another, as there are obviously a lot of people over there working hard for it to happen. 

9 minutes ago, Hello said:

Let's be honest and not ffaf around and best about the bush.  This story is music to the ears of so many on here who pretend to be supportive of expansion of the sport but who will actually now revel in saying "I told you so, our sport cannot expand." Serious question - can anyone on this forum name any other sport in the entire world that actually actively enjoys NOT expanding it's footprint as much as RL?

Yes, once again let's blame RL fans. Despite them not being the issue in the slightest. 

4 minutes ago, Hello said:

Hang on a minute sunshine , I've avoided commenting on this quite simply because your reaction is the one I would have expected from idiots like you , it did seem too good to be true , and it looks like it was , it's a shame as anybody playing RL is a good thing , no matter where that might be , and rarely have I ever come across anybody who has expressed an opinion to the opposite of that 

In truth as has been suggested , the more ' failure ' we have , the harder it might be to find future succsses , but don't blame that at fans of the sport 

4 minutes ago, Hello said:

Serious question - can anyone on this forum name any other sport in the entire world that actually actively enjoys NOT expanding it's footprint as much as RL?

Every fan wants the game to grow, stop trying to play some sort of victim game.

We are fans and want to buy in to these things. I dared to ask the question of how Las Vegas could run a semi-pro team when RL had never before been played there. I got called a hater.

I also got ridiculed for pointing out that rob curtis blarantly lied to our faces when he said "each team has a rich history of rugby league, having previously played for years in the amateur local leagues".

How can we buy into something and really get behind it when everything is so shrouded in secrecy and deceit? 

Does this now mean my Atlanta Rhinos shirt is now a collectors item?

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

2 hours ago, BJW said:

Does this now mean my Atlanta Rhinos shirt is now a collectors item?

Absolutely.....the same as my plethora of Toronto Wolfpack shirts, and scarves, and polos, and jackets, and ball-caps, and socks, and winter toque, and beer bottle opener, and car flags are collectors items.😀😀😀

3 hours ago, Hello said:

Or alternatively, - the inordinate yearning of some RL fans to transcend the insularity of the heartlands, though perfectly understandable, is sometimes the enemy of due diligence.

52 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Absolutely.....the same as my plethora of Toronto Wolfpack shirts, and scarves, and polos, and jackets, and ball-caps, and socks, and winter toque, and beer bottle opener, and car flags are collectors items.😀😀😀

One day all these will fetch megabucks at Sotheby`s. At the far end of a wormhole, in a parallel universe.

4 hours ago, Hello said:

I can well understand your opinion if you base it on some of comments on this board. I'm sure that  those posters would love to see real expansion after so many failures namely in America. The result is as soon as anything new  comes up in the States they are in with those  negative comments.

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Or alternatively, - the inordinate yearning of some RL fans to transcend the insularity of the heartlands, though perfectly understandable, is sometimes the enemy of due diligence.

It's worth pointing out, because some seem to see events like this as uniquely rugby league (I do have issues with how often we fall into schism, our poor administration and our credulous podcasts but those are separate for now), that this kind of big vision start up league is happening right now in American football in the USA despite the repeated and often failures of every single one of the leagues built to the model they're using.

Fairly certain at least one of the independent baseball leagues has shuttered too.

And, regardless, we still have USARL and, it seems, the 'renegade' California RL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Just confirms the rumours and the subsequent radio silence from NARL.

Says he's expecting a press release from NARL later today. Let's hope that it has actual details in it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

One day all these will fetch megabucks at Sotheby`s. At the far end of a wormhole, in a parallel universe.

Due diligence - fair enough, no problem with that. However that's not at all what I'm talking about when I refer to the apparent determination of many on here to strangle any attempt at growth. Sorry, quoted the wrong post. Damned fiddly smart phone screens!

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes, once again let's blame RL fans. Despite them not being the issue in the slightest. 

Except if you actually read my actual words you will find that I didn't blame fans for the collapse of this league, that was not my point at all. What I was clearly saying was that too many fans revel in the collapse of attempted expsnsion. Please don't comment on my posts if you are going to invent words that I haven't actually posted, but, hey, don't let facts get in the way of your insular agenda.

41 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And, regardless, we still have USARL and, it seems, the 'renegade' California RL.

I think people are forgetting that there still is RL in the US. Maybe the way to go is for the USARL to add some more conferences over the next few years. Any investors would have a ready made competition if they decide they want to put their money into the USARL

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Fairly sure I saw ' Ace ' Rimmer wearing a Toronto jacket on Red Dwarf a decade ago 🤔😉

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I think people are forgetting that there still is RL in the US. Maybe the way to go is for the USARL to add some more conferences over the next few years. Any investors would have a ready made competition if they decide they want to put their money into the USARL

Indeed - at least one pre-season match this weekend with a full season to follow.

Archived