All things Radio

I don't like to upset people who like driving horse boxes along the motorway but Shergar was absolutely fantastic along with the Frites and Bernaise sauce and a glass of red.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Some of you may know the YouTuber "Techmoan". If you don't, he's an amiable, understated chap who just loves mucking about with bizarre old AV technology.
Well, he's just been sent a bunch of Kenny Everett's 8-track cartridges from the 1970s.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Some of you may know the YouTuber "Techmoan". If you don't, he's an amiable, understated chap who just loves mucking about with bizarre old AV technology.
Well, he's just been sent a bunch of Kenny Everett's 8-track cartridges from the 1970s.

Yes seen that as it's been Hot Gossip on the vine for a while.

a celebration of pirate radio on BOOM radio tomorrow (sunday) on the anniversary of its forced closure - some very familiar voices making special appearances 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 13/08/2022 at 12:53, graveyard johnny said:

a celebration of pirate radio on BOOM radio tomorrow (sunday) on the anniversary of its forced closure - some very familiar voices making special appearances 

Pirate radio I think it may time to bring it back! Loved late night with real music.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Just noticed that a new series of Mark Steel's in Town starts in a few minutes, and episode 1 is from Nottingham.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

And as usual, was excellent! It's on BBC Sounds. Recommended.👍

Even better news - after the shortened series 10 & 11, series 12 is back up to six programmes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

A lost episode of Hancock's Half Hour has become unlost:

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Why can't you get subtitles for spoken programmes on Radio 4?

Subtitles... on the radio?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

If you listen on your computer.

Okay, fair enough. I was wondering what deaf people would be getting out of owning a wireless.

Given BBC Radio's output across all national and local channels, it would take a ton of work and cost. Even doing just the national channels would be a huge job, as a fair chunk of it would have to be live captioning.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Back to BBC Sounds and in particular the BBC Radio 4 Extra progamming and scheduling.

1. Programmes are generally repeted two or three times a day, which is fine in my view.

2. However, series are repeated every few months. For example, we seem to be presented with the same Christie/Miss Marple cases every few months. I know I'm of an age where I can forget what I heard just one month ago, never mind d three months, but the excellent Rogue Male has been repeatedly repeated, as has To The Manor Born and others. With the back catalogue the BBC has, I'd like to think there could be fewer repeats and more variety.

3. The inane unfunny ###### chat of comedy nonentiies that is used to fill in the few minute gaps between 25 min programmes and a 30 minute schedule  period are something we can well do without. Reminds me of the definition of "alternative comedy" -"not funny"

Edited by JohnM

On 09/10/2022 at 21:54, Futtocks said:

Okay, fair enough. I was wondering what deaf people would be getting out of owning a wireless.

Given BBC Radio's output across all national and local channels, it would take a ton of work and cost. Even doing just the national channels would be a huge job, as a fair chunk of it would have to be live captioning.

Would it? I can get subtitles on meetings at work using MS Teams in real time. Accepted the technology can struggle a little with stronger accents, but I'd have though that would be relatively simple to introduce using similar technology. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 09/10/2022 at 21:54, Futtocks said:

All to be funded out of the existing licence fee because, apparently, all standards can be maintained and extra content produced, just by trimming Gary Lineker's salary.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

27 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Would it? I can get subtitles on meetings at work using MS Teams in real time. Accepted the technology can struggle a little with stronger accents, but I'd have though that would be relatively simple to introduce using similar technology. 

I think a national broadcaster would be required to deliver an accurate and consistent result at all times for pre-recorded broadcasts, rather than some software's guesstimation.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I think a national broadcaster would be required to deliver an accurate and consistent result at all times for pre-recorded broadcasts, rather than some software's guesstimation.

Believe me, progressive deafness is a big problem amongst us old gits. Anything would be better than nothing.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

18 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Believe me, progressive deafness is a big problem amongst us old gits. Anything would be better than nothing.

Have you contacted the BBC with a request for this option?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Have you contacted the BBC with a request for this option?

No, I'm the wrong colour, wrong age, wrong sex, confident of my sexual orientation, a brexiteer, didn't have private schooling, didn't go to Oxbridge, wouldn't dream of watching womens' soccer, like Yorkshire County Cricket Club and not only live in Bradford but I like it.

😉😁

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

9 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

No, I'm the wrong colour, wrong age, wrong sex, confident of my sexual orientation, a brexiteer, didn't have private schooling, didn't go to Oxbridge, wouldn't dream of watching womens' soccer, like Yorkshire County Cricket Club and not only live in Bradford but I like it.

😉😁

That sounds like a torrent of absolute self-martyring, self-aggrandising balls, to put it politely. Are you going to claim that you've been "cancelled" by the "woke blob" next?

Ralph Waldo Emerson