Rugby league-could some lessons be learned from cricket?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So who would they have listened to ? 

Someone they liked 😉

I know what you're saying though, its a shame. Perhaps they will be more inclined to work together if the situation demands it more? Though its always going to be difficult to arrange this if the clubs are changing annually.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Someone they liked 😉

I know what you're saying though, its a shame. Perhaps they will be more inclined to work together if the situation demands it more? Though its always going to be difficult to arrange this if the clubs are changing annually.

It's impossible to sort with P and R , which is why I approached them at the start of licencing , I truly believe the 20 clubs ( as there were at that time ) would have now been recieving 6 figure incomes a year from my proposals , would have had highlights content on YouTube or potentially FTA TV , would have been having a pre season comp with Elite 1 clubs , would have at least a couple of UK expansion clubs funded by the original members who would have had shares in the expansion clubs 

But hey ho , we have a ' top ' club owner publicly running the sport down , praying for a cash bail out , presumably to reimburse his ' investment ' but leave the club and it's real owners ( the fans ) with finding the money to pay back the debt 

7 hours ago, Damien said:

Quite correct but this is where comparisons fall down for me with RL. The Hundred is fundamentally different to what people are trying to equate it to in Rugby League, which is generally a nines tournament. Time and devoting hours are not necessarily the issue when it comes to a RL match, a nines tournament lasts longer than a RL match.

Yes, I understand that 9's might not be an equivalent of The Hundred. I also agree with you that time isn't a problem in terms of a RL match length. When I talk about time with The Hundred, it was more in terms of the time needed to follow it - e.g. a small number of fixtures (32 matches in total, I think it was) in a month long event - 1 game every day (2 if you include the women's). As opposed to other competitions that might have double that number or more, with several games played on any given day.

What we can learn is , you can end up robbing Peter to pay Paul , doesn't look that big a crowd at Durham tonight 

My son has just pointed out that this is being played at Durham because Headingley isn't available due to the test match 

47 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Considering I think a pretty good crowd (Thank you Yorkshiremen:) 

Going back on topic pre season nines would be great 12 SL clubs + 4 French (Maybe played in Spain)

:))))

Watch this space 

P 

On topic ? , So what type of cricket do we play in winter in Spain against French teams ? 😉

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

On topic ? , So what type of cricket do we play in winter in Spain against French teams ? 😉

We play a T10 tournament featuring 15 national teams.

https://www.ecn.cricket/european-cricket-championship/news/announcing-the-european-cricket-championship

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Doesn't the 'T' in T20 stand for 'twenty'? It was always called Twenty20 and T20 is just an abbreviation. 

It seems a bit unfair to have a T10 competition - the team with 20 overs to bat will almost alway beat the team batting for 10 overs! 😆

5 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Doesn't the 'T' in T20 stand for 'twenty'? It was always called Twenty20 and T20 is just an abbreviation. 

It seems a bit unfair to have a T10 competition - the team with 20 overs to bat will almost alway beat the team batting for 10 overs! 😆

You're correct, but it's not difficult to make the T mean Ten, for this purpose.

T2, T3, 12, T13 would also all work, whereas T14 wouldn't.

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

So, after 17 pages, would it be fair to say that there doesn't seem to be any strong ideas or support for a new competition/event? Just the usual things about improving marketing etc.

No , as I put right at the start , they've cut out the boring bits , that is what we need to address , 5 drives and a kick just doesn't cut it , too much wrestling , messy PTB s , sort out confusing ( infuriating ) rules 

And all the fans stop ' death riding ' the game to oblivion , RL is great , it was ( still is ) the grass team sport with the least cheating , general respect of refs , and honest endeavour , we have issues , all sports do , we must ( and can ) overcome them 

15 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

So, after 17 pages, would it be fair to say that there doesn't seem to be any strong ideas or support for a new competition/event? Just the usual things about improving marketing etc.

Marketing is a huge problem for Rugby League or lack of it.

We really need to get into the 21st century when it comes to marketing

Some clubs seem completely short of ideas when even marketing their own home games

Archived