Are you worried about attendances?

20 minutes ago, shrek said:

Thought the Wigan crowd was disappointing, given how generous the offer was from the club - every season ticket holder was entitled to an additional free ticket and "key workers" where offered 2 free tickets, from an extensive list;

As a comparison, Bolton on Saturday did a "Family Day", £10 an adult ticket, £5 for U18's and OAPs and pulled in a crowd of 20,877 for a 3rd division football game, of which about 1500 where from Rotherham.  

For the 1000th time on here... you can't compair Football crowds V RL crowds!

Why didn't you compair those games to say the Scottish Premier league??

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

For the 1000th time on here... you can't compair Football crowds V RL crowds!

Why didn't you compair those games to say the Scottish Premier league??

It was two clubs who'd run a promotion roughly 5 miles apart, within 24 hours of each other. 

With or without the comparison, the Wigan crowd was poor given the generosity of the offer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, shrek said:

It was two clubs who'd run a promotion roughly 5 miles apart, within 24 hours of each other. 

With or without the comparison, the Wigan crowd was poor given the generosity of the offer.

There’s definitely something in the timing of the seasons though. RL doesn’t seem to have quite got out of that lockdown feeling, whereas football has benefited hugely from starting the season with a clean slate.

I was at actually both of the games you mention as it happens (and Huddersfield-Leigh yesterday). Busy weekend!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

The Bulls went with adults for a tenner, kids for free yesterday and got 5340

Not a bad attendance all things considered

Pity that they ruined the goodwill by serving up gash on the pitch (credit where credit is due to Whitehaven though...)

Careful, you’ll have people saying that cheap tickets cheapen the product. 

29 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

There’s definitely something in the timing of the seasons though. RL doesn’t seem to have quite got out of that lockdown feeling, whereas football has benefited hugely from starting the season with a clean slate.

I was at actually both of the games you mention as it happens (and Huddersfield-Leigh yesterday). Busy weekend!

Whilst I hope you right, I'm not convinced. 

There was a real pent up excitement amongst friends to get back to football, cricket, F1 etc but when it came to the rugby it seemed to be more doom and gloom, especially in Wigan, plenty seem keen to find excuses (obviously anecdotal) around how 2020 season ticket refunds where handled or not, some still banging on about the Edwards saga.  Hopefully they'll see sense for 2022, but like I say I'm not entirely convinced they will.

Good effort on your weekend sporting endeavours!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Jinx 😉

• Haha 1

Lets be honest most ticket sales are ST sales. Soccer have been able to sell their full STs and off the back of an international tournament were England played at home.

Rugby now need a big push in the off season and shame on the cowards from down under who will damage next seasons attendances and any potential bounce back from a feel good factor.

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It looked less 

But that is the nature of a stadium that size , your ' band ' aren't good or loud enough either 🙄

As I've said on another thread, put that crowd in Salford, Wakefield or Leigh and it doesn't look too bad, but it's totally lost in our cavernous stands!

To be fair the Leigh fans made a decent bit of noise, the nature of the stadium means that even a few away supporters can be heard in that stand, yet the noise from our section seems to to get lost in the forest on the Kilner Bank!

No band at ours, just a guy who used to come years ago turns up with a trumpet and a few cowbells. 😃

Edited by meast

1 minute ago, meast said:

To be fair the Leigh fans made a decent bit of noise, the nature of the stadium means that even a few away supporters can be heard in that stand, yet the noise from our section seems to to get lost in the forest on the Kilner Bank!

No band at ours, just a guy who used to come years ago turns up with a trumpet and a few cowbells. 😃

What would you give for a 5,000 capacity standing terrace ? , we nearly ended up all seater at the LSV , if we had we'd be getting a 1,000 less at each match IMO 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meast said:

Preferably down the side, I'd love it!

We are developing the YMCA Ground at Laund Hill for our academy and reserves but I'd love it if we could build a 7000 capacity ground for the Giants up there, a smaller modern version of Fartown would be fantasticle!

I wanted our standing to be down the side , just so we could do the Leeds " forward " , but will settle for the north we've got , I genuinely doubt I'd still be going if it was all seater 

19 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The popular opinion is having purchased a season ticket punters are against paying the full admission price, obviously play off games can not be included in the ST purchase as it is an unknown how many or if any there would be, surely the club's could charge the same price per game as they arrive to ST holders for the same price they pay per game when they purchase their season tickets, surely those who have not purchased ST's would begrudge them paying a lower admission price?

Surely the bigger question needs to by over why the game's supporters aren't willing to pay full price for what is supposedly the "business end" of the season, with "everything on the line" fixtures between the season's best teams? 

I understand why people think that the answer to this issue is in making tickets cheaper, but I'd argue the real difference comes in making the playoffs more desirable. Cheap tickets isn't marketing.

Edited by whatmichaelsays

31 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Surely the bigger question needs to by over why the games supporters aren't willing to pay full price for what is supposedly the "business end" of the season, with "everything on the line" fixtures between the season's best teams? 

I understand why people think that the answer to this issue is in making tickets cheaper, but I'd argue the real difference comes in making the playoffs more desirable. Cheap tickets isn't marketing.

I think in reality, it is likely that whole fan bases need to be changed to make these events must-attend. And as we know, that is neither easy, nor reasonable priced. 

We can't ignore the type of fan, or culture that we have cultivated over the last 25 years. I think most SL fans are looking forward to the playoffs, they all know about them, and I expect the TV figures will be some of the highest of the year. The problem is that a lot of Wire, Leeds, Wigan and KR fans will be watching on TV. 

I genuinely think it will be a decade of activity or so to really start to change some of these behaviours that are embedded in our fan base. 

We have two choices - we either work with what we have - which leads us to cheap seats or including matches on season tickets, or we invest in changing the fan base, which costs millions, is likely to lead to short term pain and has no guarantees. 

Of course the right answer is the latter, but RL operates in a World where it can't always afford to even start to do the right things because of the shoestring budgets we operate on. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think in reality, it is likely that whole fan bases need to be changed to make these events must-attend. And as we know, that is neither easy, nor reasonable priced. 

We can't ignore the type of fan, or culture that we have cultivated over the last 25 years. I think most SL fans are looking forward to the playoffs, they all know about them, and I expect the TV figures will be some of the highest of the year. The problem is that a lot of Wire, Leeds, Wigan and KR fans will be watching on TV. 

I genuinely think it will be a decade of activity or so to really start to change some of these behaviours that are embedded in our fan base. 

We have two choices - we either work with what we have - which leads us to cheap seats or including matches on season tickets, or we invest in changing the fan base, which costs millions, is likely to lead to short term pain and has no guarantees. 

Of course the right answer is the latter, but RL operates in a World where it can't always afford to even start to do the right things because of the shoestring budgets we operate on. 

I'd agree with that, but my worry is that we and/or the sport has been saying "these things take a long time" for what seems like an awfully long time.

You aren't going to change habits, purchasing habits and demographics overnight, but we've known that 'all pay' attendances at RL events are below where the sport would like them to be for some time and it doesn't seem that, in all the years we've had available and with all that television revenue we've had in that time, the needle has moved much (if at all) to address that. 

And the longer the sport waits to start moving that needle, the more expensive it gets, because the fanbase we do have will age, the numbers will fall and it will become harder (and more expensive) to convince the new audiences that we do want to attract. 

Cheap tickets, in my view, just entrench the situation RL is already in. I said it on the Huddersfield ticket thread, but I think price is not the main reason why we struggle with certain demographics, so tinkering with the price doesn't really solve the issue. It might encourage some season ticket holders off the sofa and into the grounds this Thursday and Friday, but it doesn't make a dent in addressing the challenge you describe above. 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I'd agree with that, but my worry is that we and/or the sport has been saying "these things take a long time" for what seems like an awfully long time.

You aren't going to change habits, purchasing habits and demographics overnight, but we've known that 'all pay' attendances at RL events are below where the sport would like them to be for some time and it doesn't seem that, in all those years and with all that television revenue, the needle has moved much (if at all) to address that. 

And the longer the sport waits to start moving that needle, the more expensive it gets, because the fanbase we do have will age, the numbers will fall and it will become harder (and more expensive) to convince the new audiences that we do want to attract. 

Cheap tickets, in my view, just entrench the situation RL is already in. I said it on the Huddersfield ticket thread, but I think price is not the main reason why we struggle with certain demographics, so tinkering with the price doesn't really solve the issue. It might encourage some season ticket holders off the sofa and into the grounds this Thursday and Friday, but it doesn't make a dent in addressing the challenge you describe above. 

Aye, couldn't agree more, price is a short term fix, but it does reinforce the current position. If they are to be used, they need to be used as part of a strategy that is looking at what the fan base looks like in 10 years, not just trying to get an extra 2k in this Friday. 

Understanding the benefits of tapping into the higher affluence market seems to be a real weakness for us. For one, they are less likely to struggle to afford £60 for a family to attend on Friday, get them on board and they attend without thinking. 

We've prided ourselves on this working class base for so long, it is at the exclusion of other segments. There is little to cater for aspiration 

The most expensive RL ticket I've ever bought was £55, £65 for RU and £115 for football. 

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We've prided ourselves on this working class base for so long, it is at the exclusion of other segments. There is little to cater for aspiration 

That, combined with the fact that the "identity" of the working class has been getting weaker and weaker over time.

RL still seems to have this idea that "working class" means leaving school at 16 and buying a terraced house next to the local factory that would provide you with a "job for life". That doesn't happen now. "Working class" people (by the "you need to work for a living" definition) are more transient, they go to university, they work in finance and tech roles, they commute longer distances, they hop jobs every few years to advance their careers, they go on foreign holidays and they drink in fancy bars. 

I'm sure if we did a straw poll on here around what working class means, you'd get an awful lot of different ideas and definitions of what it means, which is a problem if your product's core audience is "the working class". 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

That, combined with the fact that the "identity" of the working class has been getting weaker and weaker over time.

RL still seems to have this idea that "working class" means leaving school at 16 and buying a terraced house next to the local factory that would provide you with a "job for life". That doesn't happen now. "Working class" people (by the "you need to work for a living" definition) are more transient, they go to university, they work in finance and tech roles, they commute longer distances, they hop jobs every few years to advance their careers, they go on foreign holidays and they drink in fancy bars. 

I'm sure if we did a straw poll on here around what working class means, you'd get an awful lot of different ideas and definitions of what it means, which is a problem if your product's core audience is "the working class". 

Absolutely, I would definitely fit into the working class category, and my entertainment, food and drink tastes would be classed as pretentious, I have no doubts about that  😆

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, shrek said:

Whilst I hope you right, I'm not convinced. 

There was a real pent up excitement amongst friends to get back to football, cricket, F1 etc but when it came to the rugby it seemed to be more doom and gloom, especially in Wigan, plenty seem keen to find excuses (obviously anecdotal) around how 2020 season ticket refunds where handled or not, some still banging on about the Edwards saga.  Hopefully they'll see sense for 2022, but like I say I'm not entirely convinced they will.

Good effort on your weekend sporting endeavours!

There are a multitude of doom and gloom merchants in rugby league journalism. 

They no doubt have low ranking degrees and struggled to find a decebt job, so went solo reoorting on football matches and the like for a hundred quid a throw (this site is the exception to that rule). 

We need to talk our sport up

• Confused 2

On 20/09/2021 at 14:21, Eddie said:

How many have Widnes been getting to games this season? I have looked but can’t find any published. 

They've not been great but then performances have given people plenty of reasons not to attend.

Having said that, the turn out at Swinton last Sunday was way in excess of anything I've witnessed at other away games I've attended.

• Like 1

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

1 hour ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

They've not been great but then performances have given people plenty of reasons not to attend.

Having said that, the turn out at Swinton last Sunday was way in excess of anything I've witnessed at other away games I've attended.

somewhere in the region of 700-800 which is a good turn out