Are you worried about attendances?

4 hours ago, The storm said:

There are a multitude of doom and gloom merchants in rugby league journalism. 

They no doubt have low ranking degrees and struggled to find a decebt job, so went solo reoorting on football matches and the like for a hundred quid a throw (this site is the exception to that rule). 

We need to talk our sport up

Not sure I understand your point on Rugby League journalism and how it was relevant to my post.  

Would agree we need to talk our sport up, have the best sport in the world, with seemingly some of the least committed fans.

On 20/09/2021 at 08:49, Harry Stottle said:

obviously play off games can not be included in the ST purchase as it is an unknown how many or if any there would be,

Why not? My Hamilton Tiger-Cats (CFL) seasons tickets include playoff games, if they don't make it then it's a credit on your next years' season tickets. Or you could get the cash back if you really wanted. Don't see why anyone else couldn't do the same.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Why not? My Hamilton Tiger-Cats (CFL) seasons tickets include playoff games, if they don't make it then it's a credit on your next years' season tickets. Or you could get the cash back if you really wanted. Don't see why anyone else couldn't do the same.

I wasn't aware of that thankyou for the info Mr Reaper, I think that is a great idea it could incentivise people to carry on purchasing a season ticket the following season, only problem could be that a real bad season could result in some turning away and claiming a refund but real supporters wouldn't do that, would they?

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I wasn't aware of that thankyou for the info Mr Reaper, I think that is a great idea it could incentivise people to carry on purchasing a season ticket the following season, only problem could be that a real bad season could result in some turning away and claiming a refund but real supporters wouldn't do that, would they?

I think tying it into the season ticket or even store credit instead of cashback would be a way of protecting yourself there. 

I think it's a good idea. 

14 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Hamilton Tiger-Cats 

I feel like the campness of this team name needs at least noting. It has two musicals in it!

• Haha 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Does ' He man ' or ' Skeletor ' play for them ? 🤔😉😁

Those two are homo-erotic children’s cartoon characters, as opposed to camp musical characters. It’s a completely different sub-genre.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Those two are homo-erotic children’s cartoon characters, as opposed to camp musical characters. It’s a completely different sub-genre.

I'm not even going to look what ' homo-erotic ' means 

Some strange folk on here 😬

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I'm not even going to look what ' homo-erotic ' means 

He-Man has long been a gay icon. I thought everybody knew that, even the straightest-laced straight blokes who put 3 sugars in their tea.

To be honest I used to think it was a wind up, until a gay colleague pointed out that there is a spaceship in the cartoon that's named 'The Rainbow' and there is even a character called - errmmm, how do I put this? - 'Fisto'... 😁

Edited by Cheshire Setter

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, the crowd figures for Huddersfield Giants home games in 2020 and 2021.

2020-

Wigan (Sun) 6,574 ( 1,319 away)

Toronto (Wed) 1,788 (0) officially but 10-15 supporting them.

2021-

Salford (Fri) 2,374 (321)

Catalans (Thu) 1,904 (0) around 10 supporters

Wigan (Fri) 2,194 (420)

Hull FC (Thu) 3,699(488)

Wakefield (Sun) 3,964 (510)

Hull KR (Bank hol Mon ) 3,652 (631)

Warrington (Thu) 4,017 (545)

Leigh (Sun) 3,867 (321)

An average of 3,208 for the 2021 season and 3,404 for 2020/2021 seasons.

15 minutes ago, meast said:

If anyone is interested, the crowd figures for Huddersfield Giants home games in 2020 and 2021.

2020-

Wigan (Sun) 6,574 ( 1,319 away)

Toronto (Wed) 1,788 (0) officially but 10-15 supporting them.

2021-

Salford (Fri) 2,374 (321)

Catalans (Thu) 1,904 (0) around 10 supporters

Wigan (Fri) 2,194 (420)

Hull FC (Thu) 3,699(488)

Wakefield (Sun) 3,964 (510)

Hull KR (Bank hol Mon ) 3,652 (631)

Warrington (Thu) 4,017 (545)

Leigh (Sun) 3,867 (321)

An average of 3,208 for the 2021 season and 3,404 for 2020/2021 seasons.

All this after major investment in the playing squad, a youth system producing some genuine top-level talents and incredible value season tickets.

I wonder if Ken Davy is one of the chairmen to have sneered about the value Toulouse will bring to Super League (that's the Toulouse who got nearly as many fans through the gate last night as Huddersfield managed in their first 4 games of 2021) because they won't fill their ground for them...

1 hour ago, Ray Cashmere said:

All this after major investment in the playing squad, a youth system producing some genuine top-level talents and incredible value season tickets.

I wonder if Ken Davy is one of the chairmen to have sneered about the value Toulouse will bring to Super League (that's the Toulouse who got nearly as many fans through the gate last night as Huddersfield managed in their first 4 games of 2021) because they won't fill their ground for them...

Have you read any of this thread previously?

Lives and games have been severely disrupted due to the covid stuff over the last 2 years.

Not sure if you've noticed, but attendances have declined across all clubs, especially SL clubs due to the covid stuff.

Most of the away support is considerably lower than in any previous years, for the first 4 games, crowds were restricted due to the covid stuff, so in effect most games were over 50% of allowed capacity, it's irrelevant how many Toulouse attracted to a play off final with no crowd restrictions.

Lots of people are still seemingly reluctant to attend events due to the covid stuff, and Huddersfield, with an ageing fanbase have been hit particularly hard, hence the reason they are trying to tempt a younger audience with cheap season ticket offers.

To use this as yet another stick to try and beat Huddersfield with is a bit poor 🙂

Ken Davy isn't the Huddersfield chairman, Keith Hellawell is.

Edited by meast
  • Like 1

Just now, meast said:

Have you read any of this thread previously?

Lives and games have been severely disrupted due to the covid stuff over the last 2 years.

Not sure if you've noticed, but attendances have declined across all clubs, especially SL clubs due to the covid stuff.

Most of the away support is considerably lower than in any previous years, for the first 4 games, crowds were restricted due to the covid stuff, so in effect most games were over 50% of allowed capacity.

Lots of people are still seemingly reluctant to attend events due to the covid stuff, and Huddersfield, with an ageing fanbase have been hit particularly hard, hence the reason they are trying to tempt a younger audience with cheap season ticket offers.

To use this as yet another stick to try and beat Huddersfield with is a bit poor 🙂

Ken Davy isn't the Huddersfield chairman, Keith Hellawell is.

No disputing the effect of COVID but neither can it be disputed that stagnating/decreasing attendances has been a trend that began way before the pandemic. 

I'm not sure what the relevance of the 50% capacity restriction is when the John Smiths stadium as a capacity of 24,500.

I completely agree with your point about the ageing fanbase. However, that is more representative of the problems our sport faces than an excuse. And no, it isn't just a Huddersfield problem it is game-wide. Hull KR have shown this season what a bit of innovation can do in turning the matchday experience into an event.

Cheap season tickets for kids are great and, in fairness, I think a lot of clubs do ok in trying to get under 18s along. It's the 18-30 bracket- where young people are starting to get disposable income for the first time- that the game is absolutely shocking at tapping into. 

This isn't a stick to beat Huddersfield with. My club face exactly the same problems. However, Huddersfield's attendances were quoted above so they were the obvious point of reference. Defensiveness doesn't provide any solutions.  

• Like 2

Roughly 5000 less than the last time England Knights played Jamaica (at Leeds in 2019) at Cas tonight.

Partly that is the utter folly of playing a Jamaica home game in Cas rather than Leeds, and partly the lack of promotion in the Caribbean community in West Yorkshire compared to last time, but still.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Roughly 5000 less than the last time England Knights played Jamaica (at Leeds in 2019) at Cas tonight.

Partly that is the utter folly of playing a Jamaica home game in Cas rather than Leeds, and partly the lack of promotion in the Caribbean community in West Yorkshire compared to last time, but still.

Should have played at the LSV

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I said on the game thread, we shouldn’t be playing any sort of international games at stadiums such as Cas, I don’t think we should  be playing SL games there either but that’s maybe a different argument, the place needs sorting out, probably demolishing to be fair.

The game was also under marketed, there wasn’t even a link to buy tickets on the England RL website

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I said on the game thread, we shouldn’t be playing any sort of international games at stadiums such as Cas, I don’t think we should  be playing SL games there either but that’s maybe a different argument, the place needs sorting out, probably demolishing to be fair.

The game was also under marketed, there wasn’t even a link to buy tickets on the England RL website

You have a lot of “I don’t think” yet lack how to change it.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

2019? Thats a fair comparison. I would have thought even your dwindling memory would have seen something. Wasn’t that a home game for Jamaica?

6 hours ago, Tabby said:

2019? Thats a fair comparison. I would have thought even your dwindling memory would have seen something. Wasn’t that a home game for Jamaica?

If you'd actually read this thread, including the OP, you'd note that the impact of Covid was at the heart of my concerns. Losing nearly 75% of your audience at a time with no restrictions and when we were due to host a World Cup is legitimately concerning.

It was officially a home game for England Knights in 2019 I believe, and there was a significant Jamaican support Including a steel drum band. Over 7000 were there.

Being kind, I think having this in Castleford rather than Leeds (which alongside London consistently provides our best international crowds) is the main factor in the decline here. But even so, planning for that seems utterly stupid.

7 hours ago, Tabby said:

You have a lot of “I don’t think” yet lack how to change it.

Well two of the things in his post were obvious. 

Book a different stadium for Jam v Knights, and put a link for ticket sales on the website. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 2