Sun 1 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

On 31/07/2021 at 16:25, Bleep1673 said:

Last week I am pleased to announce, I got all games predicted correct,*

Dewsbury (I know I should back the Lions, but without a coach we are as bad as Olympic Mens GB Rowing), Featherstone, Halifax, Whitehaven, Oldham, York, Widnes

*It must be my week, until today, as I had 6 winners out of 8 at Goodwood.

Can I retract the to bit of that post, as we won our first league game of the season, and it was away.

On 27/07/2021 at 15:46, Fevrover said:

Can't see it being on as it costs too much but its a shame as i think quite a few would gladly pay for it.

Ridiculous imho This Fev v Tou would have attracted lots of interest across the country & South of France & the Top 2 clash in L1 also would have got general RL fans subscribing if they weren’t attending games themselves…..why o why do RL not see the obvious??

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Nevertheless they were laying on, and getting away with it, we weren't. I've just watched their tries again, and if we had followed their lead at least two of them could have been prevented.  

But we really missed some direction around the field, Chisholm and hopefully Holmes once he gets the rust out of his game.  Johnny Davis was outstanding as usual.

I thought they were far more dominant in the tackle than us, which is why they were "allowed" to slow things down. With the ball they were getting to ground, on their fronts quickly which forces the ref to speed up play. When we had the ball, they were quite legally slowing it down and being dominant, which is why we appeared slow at the ruck.

They were just better than us, nowt to do with the ref.

Agree that Chizzy on the field and a rust free Holmes would have made a huge difference to our performance.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

If both Barrow and Workington go up be some long trips for the other teams!

It’s worse for Skolars, W wales, Coventry & CO now in L1 on way less financial resources at their disposal 

45 minutes ago, mickmike wilson said:

Ridiculous imho This Fev v Tou would have attracted lots of interest across the country & South of France & the Top 2 clash in L1 also would have got general RL fans subscribing if they weren’t attending games themselves…..why o why do RL not see the obvious??

Or the clubs themselves. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

4 minutes ago, mickmike wilson said:

Are you saying it’s not the RFL who decide who they are choosing to broadcast on their OurLeague app?

Surely it's the home teams decision to pay the £1,500 for the service? I understand that the clubs want the fans back, but not all fans want to go back - plus such a crucial game like this and "marketed" would have seen nice extra revenue. 

If the home team doesn't think it will get that back in sales, then what hope has it got of selling to a TV channel. 

• Like 1

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

2 hours ago, Griff said:

For Toulouse and Catalan, yes. And I don't begrudge them that reward.

For the game ?  We'll see.......

It´s the beginning of gaining more exposure for the game in France, if we can bundle in some regular French internationals (that include England in the tournament) French RL finally has a product it can get on FTA or a pay tv deal for. That´s good for all of us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

Surely it's the home teams decision to pay the £1,500 for the service? I understand that the clubs want the fans back, but not all fans want to go back - plus such a crucial game like this and "marketed" would have seen nice extra revenue. 

If the home team doesn't think it will get that back in sales, then what hope has it got of selling to a TV channel. 

Maybe Rovers thought some might pay for Our League rather then attend the match ,just a thought ,who knows why not ?

On 01/08/2021 at 15:01, The Phantom Horseman said:

Radio Leeds have stated they will be unable to provide a live broadcast today because of technical difficulties.

After my match I put R Leeds on in the car to listen to the summaries and they were playing music - no sport. Is this going to be a permanent feature?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.