Sat 14-Sun 15 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Scubby said:

They are the comeback kids for sure. They do like a second half rally!

Our best trick this year has been to go to sleep for the first 20 mins of the second half followed by a late rally (sometimes)

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Newcastle have looked awful everytime Ive seen them, I would expect even a misfiring London team to have more than enough to beat them. If they were going to lose a shock one its probably more likely to be Sheffield.

Dewsbury played dismally at Newcastle and only lost 24-12, so I think they are not in a false position in the league.

10 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Dewsbury played dismally at Newcastle and only lost 24-12, so I think they are not in a false position in the league.

Yeah obviously with us losing to Oldham Im slightly biased but Swinton and Newcastle have been the worst 2 teams we have played this season. For Newcastle though this season was about staying up and then I would imagine next season will be about consolodating their position. They need a heck of a recruitment drive next season looking at how strong the top end of the table may be next season especially if you throw Haven in to the mix.

12 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

There those things both Fev and London have had deducted this season and what Win% is actually calculated using....

You can't say a team is four points off the playoffs though, until you know how many games that team is going to play. There's nothing so capricious as dividing one number by another.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Its hard even attempting to work it out. I think Fax can afford to lose 2 out of our last 5 games and still finish 3rd if the others were to win all their games. I keep also looking at points difference and keep thinking ours is looking pretty good and might be worth an extra point but its really not, nobody going to finish on the same win % for it to matter.

16 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Another great weekend for champ.  Whitehaven keep it interesting with their win. 

Eagles bail out Widnes from relgation worries with their win, which I am grateful means they will start next season in their new home as a Champ club. 

Plus they are only 4 points off playoffs.  Widnes and York going to be kicking themselves with how badly they played this year with how open London made it for a playoff spot.  

Haven't York just carried on from the '20 season with a 0 - 4 return? Could I humbly suggest that they had a couple of good seasons from a hell of a lot of seasons of mediocrity and now they are back to their normal standing in the league structure. 

16 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

How good would it be if Haven could nick that last playoff spot from London. Id certainly rather face London in the playoffs at this point than Haven.

Looking at the remaing fixtures London face Newcastle(a), Sheffield(h), Swinton(a), Fev(h), York(a). I would imagine they will win the first 3 and lose the last 2.

Haven have York(a), Widnes(h), Batley(a), Halifax(h), Bradford(a). Id be tipping Haven to win both home games but lose all 3 away. So looking at how tough their fixtures are, Haven will have certainly have earned it if they can leapfrog London.

At the other end of the table York, Widnes, Newcastle, and Dewsbury can be thankful that Oldham and Swinton have not really been at the reaces this season.

Isn't that how leagues work Oxy? The best team ends up top and the worst team ends up bottom.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 11/08/2021 at 15:08, Blind side johnny said:

A H H H A H

Cough!!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

52 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Its hard even attempting to work it out. I think Fax can afford to lose 2 out of our last 5 games and still finish 3rd if the others were to win all their games. I keep also looking at points difference and keep thinking ours is looking pretty good and might be worth an extra point but its really not, nobody going to finish on the same win % for it to matter.

Sorry BO  in that scenario where you lose 2 and others win all there games  bulls get  32 pts , FAX and batley finish on 30 pts

So bulls  would have higher win%  and you and the bulldogs identical win %

But that won't happen because bulls play TO so that knocks them down to 30 as well so in theory all three of you  could end up on  an identical win % 🤣

So BO it could all come down to 

SUN 19TH SEPTEMBER 2021 FAX v BULLDOGS  to decide 3rd place

It's a hard task to cover all the options. It's not just what your team does. It's what other teams around you do.

Whitehaven are on 50% at the moment. If they win their last 5 games they'll be on just over 60%. But if they lose all five, you're looking at around 40%.

The thing is, we're not used to seeing the numbers in the end column going down. Normally, they only go up or stay the same.

I keep also looking at points difference and keep thinking ours is looking pretty good and might be worth an extra point but its really not, nobody going to finish on the same win % for it to matter.

Points difference percentage will only matter for teams who end up playing the same number of games. If games played differ by one or two, it's almost impossible for the percentages to be the same.

7 minutes ago, Griff said:

Points difference percentage will only matter for teams who end up playing the same number of games. If games played differ by one or two, it's almost impossible for the percentages to be the same.

Yes you are right. It was effectively what was keeping Catalans top of SL ahead of Saints until recently. Even though the Dragons had an inferior points differential.

17 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well if Newcastle can beat London  (not impossible with way London are going) then York could beat Haven and fancy a miracle run.  

York got haven then Bulls side who might rotate should we beat Swinton.  Newcastle away Toulouse is a loss then London final day.  

Champ just two teams short right now of it being a supurb comp. 

Pretty sure York won't be going to Toulouse so that game won't make a dint in their loss column

4 hours ago, POR said:

Sorry BO  in that scenario where you lose 2 and others win all there games  bulls get  32 pts , FAX and batley finish on 30 pts

So bulls  would have higher win%  and you and the bulldogs identical win %

But that won't happen because bulls play TO so that knocks them down to 30 as well so in theory all three of you  could end up on  an identical win % 🤣

So BO it could all come down to 

SUN 19TH SEPTEMBER 2021 FAX v BULLDOGS  to decide 3rd place

Presuming Bradford lose to Toulouse on the stamp then I think they would finish on about 70% and Fax winning 3/5 I think we end up just over that having played more games. Nobody said it was easy. 🤣

Archived