BBC Sport website

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

On this point, specifically I think the World Cup is a huge opportunity for us. Based on the immaturity of women's RL I think we are relatively fortunate that the BBC are being so supportive (that pushing against an open door point I am making), but with an extra year I think we need a hell of a lot of focus on this tournament and it could be a game changer for us. 

I'll be looking to go to a few of the women's games, and as you say, Big crowds showing a credible sport on the BBC could do wonders for us. 

Once an unwelcome change is accepted as inevitable, it`s wise to consider whether it could be turned to advantage.

With that philosophy in mind, I`ve been wondering ever since the postponement of the WC about the make-up of the women`s competition.

There was some anger, particularly from their coach Adrian Vowles, when Fiji weren`t included. In their fixtures they have clearly demonstrated that they are stronger than some of the teams who have been invited. Presumably the costs of another Southern Hemisphere entrant told against them.

Since the initial tournament announcement, we`ve seen tangible development in Wales with the national side going reasonable well against England and Cardiff Demons winning the Southern WSL.

And this year there was a 5 team women`s comp in Ireland. I saw some of their GF and the winners Dublin City Exiles looked to have a number of useful players. As with the Welsh, other players could make rapid improvements as they play more League.

Is it too late to add Wales and Ireland to the women`s RLWC? Both could be roughly as competitive as Brazil, Canada, France, PNG, Cook Islands. The costs would be relatively small, and there could be positive post-tournament ripple effects for Women`s RL across the British Isles and France.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I’ll be honest, that’s a new one on me, I will have a gander.

That’s presumably the clip of Hendrix where he stops playing Hey Joe (IIRC) and does an impromptu version of Creams’ Sunshine of Your Love…..but this is definitely thread drift. 

Am I to take it you know nothing of the artistic endeavours of the Plaster Casters?

I could provide more information. There`s a typical Seething Wells phrase from the article that has stuck in my mind. It would get past the filter but probably be removed by the moderators. 

Jimi did Voodoo Child on the Lulu show, then things unfolded as described. Apparently the reason he smiles just into the bit of Hey Joe they did was because he broke a string.

As you say - definitely thread drift.

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The RFL have a habit of not being at the forefront of anything requiring imaginative thinking.

Yep, and not particularly great at capitalising on opportunities - which is a bad combination 😁

But hopefully this is one we will do well with. 

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Once an unwelcome change is accepted as inevitable, it`s wise to consider whether it could be turned to advantage.

With that philosophy in mind, I`ve been wondering ever since the postponement of the WC about the make-up of the women`s competition.

There was some anger, particularly from their coach Adrian Vowles, when Fiji weren`t included. In their fixtures they have clearly demonstrated that they are stronger than some of the teams who have been invited. Presumably the costs of another Southern Hemisphere entrant told against them.

Since the initial tournament announcement, we`ve seen tangible development in Wales with the national side going reasonable well against England and Cardiff Demons winning the Southern WSL.

And this year there was a 5 team women`s comp in Ireland. I saw some of their GF and the winners Dublin City Exiles looked to have a number of useful players. As with the Welsh, other players could make rapid improvements as they play more League.

Is it too late to add Wales and Ireland to the women`s RLWC? Both could be roughly as competitive as Brazil, Canada, France, PNG, Cook Islands. The costs would be relatively small, and there could be positive post-tournament ripple effects for Women`s RL across the British Isles and France.

Probably too late unless anyone pulls out, but they'll also be better gaining more experience before being thrown in.

They had the guy from Brazil on Forty 20 just before it was postponed, an interesting watch. 

9 hours ago, clogdance said:

FFS This is the third snide post about Women's football you've posted. Something against Women have you?

Scotland Women's football on YouTube,  2 years ago  206K views.

England RL on YouTube also 2 years ago 4K views 

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

While you're comparing the official Scotland account to an unofficial one, we do need to do much much better with our output on social media.

I agree totally,  the point is moaning about other sports getting headlines achieves nothing for RL.

There are some who probably think that the scene below really happens,  every January 1st.

Three men nattily dressed in suits and dark glasses enter undisclosed location, a room in which is a desk. Sitting at desk is a media Baron, known as just His Lordship. The three men, for anonymity purposes are known as Mr Football (MF), Mr Cricket (MC) and Mr Rugby Union (MR), all carry attache cases, Mr F's is a tad bigger than the others.

Lordship " well gentleman,  you know why you're here,  it is payment day"

MR " I'm not sure this is necessary anymore "

Lordship " come now Mister Rugby Union,  you of all people know what would happen if the people get a whiff of Rugby League,  your sport will suffer the most. So pay up. And you Mr Football,  any doubts?"

MF " no...let's get it over with "

Lordship " I see you've been sensible and brought more cash, yes there's now Men and Women's Football you want us to push, and suppress Rugby League for you. Remember gents, once the public see Rugby League there'll be no stopping it, you need us"

The three gents open their cases, his Lordship takes out bundles of cash and sniffs them.

Lordship " ahhh...the smell of the green stuff...lovely "

Mr Cricket pipes up,

MC " remember the hundred this year "

Lordship " yes fine, we'll push it, God knows why you want to dilute your game further, but you pay we'll push it"

His Lordship takes out IPAD and shows gents, 

Lordship " on here are the juicy titbits and amazing stories the Rugby League journos have collated for us, the poor saps, just press here where it says delete, and they're all gone , who wants to do it?

Rugby Union man leans forward, 

MR " me please...please,  since my wife left me it's the only thrill I get"

Rugby Union man presses delete,

MR " aaaahhh.......ooohhhh.."

Lordship " OK gents Rugby League suppressed for another year,  see you next year "

Mr F,C and R troop out,  after they've gone, his Lordship picks up phone.

Lordship ( phone) " yes they paid up, idiots,  they really think they pay us for keeping Rugby League down, when it's down to RFL incompetence ,you know the saying,  one born every minute "

Well it could happen..?

• Haha 2

It's down to us to promote and make our top players more accessible to the wider media. Do we bang on the door of Question of Sport or whatever to get our more eloquent stars on there? I don't watch the show, but they had a snowboarder on this week, surely we have someone at that level?

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

It's down to us to promote and make our top players more accessible to the wider media. Do we bang on the door of Question of Sport or whatever to get our more eloquent stars on there? I don't watch the show, but they had a snowboarder on this week, surely we have someone at that level?

We can't even complain about a "London-centric" BBC now, seeing as BBC Sport is smack in the middle of RL land. How many BBC Sport execs have RL club PR managers invited out for a "working lunch" in the last week, month, year or more?

6 hours ago, HawkMan said:

FFS This is the third snide post about Women's football you've posted. Something against Women have you?

The "NRL on Nine" highlights of the 2018 women`s NSW/QLD game, the first under the Origin banner, currently has 189k views on YouTube.

9 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The "NRL on Nine" highlights of the 2018 women`s NSW/QLD game, the first under the Origin banner, currently has 189k views on YouTube.

The Scotland vs Argentina women's soccer on YouTube has 3.7 million views , but let's not get bogged down with numbers. The point being lots of sports,  some we probably both can't stand deserve to get headlines on the beeb website.  It isn't a conspiracy against TGG that some believe. 

5 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

That show (and ones like it) have had RU players on it over the years, yet there hasn’t been a household RU name in well over a decade (J.Wilkinson). Appearing on such shows will do practically zilch to attract people to the game. What attracts people to the game is the on-field product, and it’s on the field where players become stars if the game allows, something neither rugby code today does.

17 hours ago, clogdance said:

Wikipedia articles:

England women’s football team: 13,357 page views in last 28 days. Page views since 1 July 2015 (as far back as the search goes): 1,985,353 (that’s 876 views per day)

England (mens) rugby league team: 1,481 page views in last 28 days. Page views since 1 July 2015: 360,025 (that’s 160 views per day)

Based on this, RL has less than a fifth of the popularity of women’s football.

Television:

Women’s football team, averaged over 10 million viewing a World Cup quarter final, a game also screened at Glastonbury.

Men’s RL team, averaged 1.5 million for the 2017 RLWC Final.

Given that women’s football generates more interest you will be calling for RL coverage to be cut?

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

The Scotland vs Argentina women's soccer on YouTube has 3.7 million views , but let's not get bogged down with numbers. The point being lots of sports,  some we probably both can't stand deserve to get headlines on the beeb website.  It isn't a conspiracy against TGG that some believe. 

The point I was making is that the Australian RL social media operation though not perfect still puts ours to shame.

13 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Calm down, just a bit of banter. 

4 hours ago, clogdance said:

Breaking News

This is THE sports headline on the BBC website tonight, even though Newcastle United (men) played Leeds United (men) in the Premier League. 🤣

That's because  International sport trumps National sport which in turn trumps Regional sport..and so on  

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.”
 Friedrich Nietzsche

7 hours ago, clogdance said:

Breaking News

This is THE sports headline on the BBC website tonight, even though Newcastle United (men) played Leeds United (men) in the Premier League. 🤣

Sky Sports website also ranks England women's win in a World Cup qualifier as being ahead of Newcastle v Leeds. They do, however, think both are less important than a Championship football club entering administration.

Unlike the BBC, Sky Sports, do not have any rugby league at all on their website.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

54 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sky Sports website also ranks England women's win in a World Cup qualifier as being ahead of Newcastle v Leeds. They do, however, think both are less important than a Championship football club entering administration.

Unlike the BBC, Sky Sports, do not have any rugby league at all on their website.

That's a real challenge isn't it? They actually feature the RU game broadcast by BT Sport and don't mention the game on their own channels. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That's a real challenge isn't it? They actually feature the RU game broadcast by BT Sport and don't mention the game on their own channels. 

I don't tend to look at that site so I was genuinely surprised by the total absence of even a little bit of video content from Super League. Not good at all.

I'd expected to be making a comment about how the BBC had us ranked fifth (as they did when I checked this morning) versus whatever Sky had it at. The idea that Sky wouldn't have rugby league at all didn't even occur to me.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

I don't tend to look at that site so I was genuinely surprised by the total absence of even a little bit of video content from Super League. Not good at all.

I'd expected to be making a comment about how the BBC had us ranked fifth (as they did when I checked this morning) versus whatever Sky had it at. The idea that Sky wouldn't have rugby league at all didn't even occur to me.

Same here, I use the app, but it is appalling, and does rather dispel the myth that Sky will only cover what they have. It shows they will act like any commercial website.