Thu 23 Sept: Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/09/21 at 19:15

On 24/09/2021 at 16:39, fieldofclothofgold said:
  1. Back to normal again everyone slept since last nights game . A bit below the belt resorting to slagging off all of Leeds . Ok to denigrate Primley park  Alwoodley , Chapel Allerton, Bramhope ,Adel , there is nothing wrong with places like Gipton , Seacroft and Halton Moor and Broadleas etc 🥵

What about Belle Isle and Middleton lovely places.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/09/2021 at 14:33, Loiner said:

Could only watch on TV last night and they looked a lot more than 300 and made more noise than the Wigan fans.

Really? You can tell all that even though you only watched it on TV?

Maybe if you had actually been in the ground people would listen to your nonsense. I was in the ground, so I’m going to ignore your summary because it’s wrong.

4 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Maybe if you had actually been in the ground people would listen to your nonsense. I was in the ground, so I’m going to ignore your summary because it’s wrong.

There was definitely more than 300 Leeds fans.

I was there too, I’m sorry but the Wigan fans were like they were in a library all game, don’t take it as an insult they literally had nothing to cheer about.

Wigan need to sort their Match day experience out as a matter of urgency as it is absolutely dire.

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I was there too, I’m sorry but the Wigan fans were like they were in a library all game, don’t take it as an insult they literally had nothing to cheer about.

Wigan need to sort their Match day experience out as a matter of urgency as it is absolutely dire.

And the match day experience at other SL grounds is first class?

I’m sorry but trotting out a rendition of “marching on together” does not equal a stunning match day experience.

I go to watch the match not to watch some deranged idiot in a stupid suit prance about or some half baked local band singing some cover versions.

20 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Don’t take it as an insult but your fans are c—p and we are ace. 

12 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I’m sorry but trotting out a rendition of “marching on together” does not equal a stunning match day experience.

I go to watch the match not to watch some deranged idiot in a stupid suit prance about or some half baked local band singing some cover versions.

But maybe new or floating fans want more,the club is in decline on & off the pitch & is in need of a massive shakeup.

14 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Who said anything was first class elsewhere.

Ive been to pretty much every away ground this year (bar Catalan) not one club does anything amazingly well, and I appreciate Covid has impacted game day but Wigans is as I say dire.

Dont take it personally (unless you are responsible for it) Take the 90s game V Leeds a few weeks back, a perfect game to celebrate the freat Wigan sides and clashes with Leeds in the 90s, what did we get? A rubbish Oasis tribute band, that was it, it was pathetic.

Wigan is the best known name in British RL, but they are failing to market themselves properly and the dwindling crowds show that.

Bury your head in the sand if you want but Wigan as s club have a lot of issues to fix up, and they seemed to think a poor rebrand was going to the heavy lifting, it never was they need to do more.

6 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Don’t take it as an insult but your fans are c—p and we are ace. 

No need to strawman, I didn’t say the fans were ‘######’ did I.

Im not revelling in Wigans issues, far from it, A strong Wigan side on and off the field is a massive asset to the whole game.

If we're talking about the Wigan gameday experience one thing I did think was a bit poor was the way they dealt with the departing players on Thursday night.

Some really brief less than a minute interviews on the field at half time (which I could barely understand) is the entire thank you for their years of service? It seemed a little bit miserly really (and yes, I am comparing to Leeds who for some of their other faults I know do this sort of stuff quite well).

26 minutes ago, M j M said:

If we're talking about the Wigan gameday experience one thing I did think was a bit poor was the way they dealt with the departing players on Thursday night.

Some really brief less than a minute interviews on the field at half time (which I could barely understand) is the entire thank you for their years of service? It seemed a little bit miserly really (and yes, I am comparing to Leeds who for some of their other faults I know do this sort of stuff quite well).

We could all learn so much from Leeds, and their astonishing fans. Maybe we could have a new section of the site where Leeds fans give seminars on their aceness? It could break the web. 

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

We could all learn so much from Leeds, and their astonishing fans. Maybe we could have a new section of the site where Leeds fans give seminars on their aceness? It could break the web. 

Wigan need to learn something from someone, if you’re happy with your club declining that’s fine.

Forget Leeds if it annoys you so much, but, maybe look at how Hull KR are going about their business on and off the field, it’s the exact opposite of Wigan.

28 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

LOL would you like me to produce the long list of things I've complained about at Leeds on and off the field going back two decades or more on here and elsewhere?

But that's irrelevant tbh. Wigan are the flagship club for continued, persistent decline in fan numbers and, apparently, fan engagement over the past ten years. If you or Wigan are not willing to take tiny bit of suggestion about why that might be then there really is no hope for your club.

2 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Another one been sucking lemons. I wasn't in the ground too busy fighting fires. Leeds fans wouldn't have to shout much to out sing your motley crew.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Well this thread has gone downhill 

It’s taken a bizarre turn where, having won the game, their “fans” are now turning on the Verve, George Formby, Haigh Hall, our pies, the colour of our shirts, all our fans, present or absent, and our match day “experience” - which you can assess whether you are in the ground or not... at this rate, it’ll be virtually impossible to support them against Saints. And I never thought I would write that. 

There are certainly things Wigan need to improve, gameday experience might be one but if it is then that goes for every Super League club right? I mean unless every club has cancelled their fantastic gameday experience whenever I've visited the ground (which, admittedly, can't be ruled out) then every club needs to improve because it's pretty much the same wherever you go.

I think Hull KR are the only club that do anything different and they've just turned a big empty space they had in their ground (that most clubs don't have) into a convenient place to drink alcohol.

And really, everyone is there to watch the rugby, so what else do people really want from their gameday experience? I've been to football matches and their 'gameday experience' is exactly the same unless gameday experience improves with each post-match arrest.

I think on the subject of gameday experience, you can for example have the best band in the world, but if they're playing to an empty ground then it won't feel like much of an experience. I think full stadiums really help the gameday experience whatever the pre-match program is. What I do like personally is a decent half-time feature - Wigan used to do a few competition-type things that were nice to watch while waiting for the second half.

26 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

There are certainly things Wigan need to improve, gameday experience might be one but if it is then that goes for every Super League club right? I mean unless every club has cancelled their fantastic gameday experience whenever I've visited the ground (which, admittedly, can't be ruled out) then every club needs to improve because it's pretty much the same wherever you go.

I think Hull KR are the only club that do anything different and they've just turned a big empty space they had in their ground (that most clubs don't have) into a convenient place to drink alcohol.

And really, everyone is there to watch the rugby, so what else do people really want from their gameday experience? I've been to football matches and their 'gameday experience' is exactly the same unless gameday experience improves with each post-match arrest.

I gave an example of a game I attended which was billed as a 90s retro round where they did literally sweet FA.

The topic seems to have really upset a few wigan fans, havng read the fand forum on another popular website it seems s lot of Wigan fans agree with the sentiment that they aren’t doing enough.

Many clubs do need to improve the experience, but it seems (admittedly as an outsider) that the match day experience isn’t the only issue st the Wigan club, the whole operation seems to have gone a bit stale.

I've not been to a Wigan game since they played at Springfield Park but I can attest that the club has always relied on the happenings on the pitch to generate the match day experience. I've heard that during the degenerate years at Central Park, the pre-match build up comprised a religious guy who used to wander around the club car park with a banner declaring Jesus Saves Fallen Women (with the crowd responding "Tell him to save one for me!"). Crowds were good, games tense and in the main exciting, and atmosphere great.

The easiest thing for the club to do to generate crowds and income would be to get the team playing exciting, skillful,  fast, open rugby with a commanding captain on the pitch, fast and effective half backs,  decent props and someone who can kick,  and to have a proper antipodean star, e.g.Gene Miles, Pat Richards, Doc Murray......

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

I've heard that during the degenerate years at Central Park, the pre-match build up comprised a religious guy who used to wander around the club car park with a banner declaring Jesus Saves Fallen Women (with the crowd responding "Tell him to save one for me!"). 

Best variation on that gag is in a Carry On film - "Save me the one with the big ear-rings".

15 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I gave an example of a game I attended which was billed as a 90s retro round where they did literally sweet FA.

The topic seems to have really upset a few wigan fans, havng read the fand forum on another popular website it seems s lot of Wigan fans agree with the sentiment that they aren’t doing enough.

Many clubs do need to improve the experience, but it seems (admittedly as an outsider) that the match day experience isn’t the only issue st the Wigan club, the whole operation seems to have gone a bit stale.

I can see where you're coming from with the retro round. I saw fans wearing retro kits but not much else. And the Catalans game was 'Super Hero' round and not much happened there. But then I don't know what people expected the club to do that would improve things? I mean you go to rugby to watch the game. Maybe something like the Super Hero round should have involved entertainment for the kids in attendance but to be honest when I was a kid I couldn't care less what happened pre-match or at half time, I just wanted to watch the rugby.

Either way the point still stands. I've barely seen any club do anything different to what Wigan do and pretty much all teams could do more, but I'm not sure how much difference it would make.

For the retro round I'd expect ex players on the pitch, interviews, the team wearing a heritage shirt, retro focused programme (although I don't think wigan do them any more?) stuff on the screen to support the event etc.

None of it rocket science and something I want the entire league to be doing once a year. But if you're going to do it at least do it properly. As it was it was largely just the lower ticket price which was the lead which was a bit disappointing.

Archived