Thu 23 Sept: Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/09/21 at 19:15

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably not the biggest Wigan fan, but even I feel a bit sad to see Jackson Hastings hitting the ball up, one-out, with a few hundred hardy souls watching on.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Season over for Wigan. From being at or near the top for a fair old time, to losing the plot. Get the new broom sweeping a.s.a.p.

Still a big fan of Lam for what he brought to the club as a player.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know people get labelled as Nay-sayers, but I just can't see how the lack of quality attacking rugby from the top teams in the last five years can be ignored. How do you sell such a declining product to new fans? In the mid-2000s the overall gameday experience may have been worse due to poor stadia etc, but the atmosphere and excitement was another level - especially at the big games. This is just embarrassing.

Stands by for incoming.

19 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Atrocious Wigan attack. What’s happened to the Jackson Hastings who used to pull the strings for Salford and led them to a GF? Or the Ollie Gildart who used to step and beat defenders? Or the mercurial ‘SL’s best fullback’ Zak Hardaker? 

The fizz has gone out of his coke?

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I know people get labelled as Nay-sayers, but I just can't see how the lack of quality attacking rugby from the top teams in the last five years can be ignored. How do you sell such a declining product to new fans? In the mid-2000s the overall gameday experience may have been worse due to poor stadia etc, but the atmosphere and excitement was another level - especially at the big games. This is just embarrassing.

Stands by for incoming.

Its only Wigan tbf 

I don't often agree with Phil Clarke but he's summed up Lam's tenure perfectly. 10/10 for effort, 1/10 for excitement.

They probably don't need much to be a top side again. The defensive structures are excellent, and they do have some decent strike players. Just a few tweaks to the attack and a couple of smart signings will see them up there again.

1 minute ago, MZH said:

I don't often agree with Phil Clarke but he's summed up Lam's tenure perfectly. 10/10 for effort, 1/10 for excitement.

They probably don't need much to be a top side again. The defensive structures are excellent, and they do have some decent strike players. Just a few tweaks to the attack and a couple of smart signings will see them up there again.

We only make cheap signings, not smart signings.

Patwigaw

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Its only Wigan tbf 

I'm not so sure. You only have to watch a few big games from the 2000s on YouTube to see the difference in excitement. Admittedly, the defences weren't as structured, but I don't think that's the weapon required to attract new fans. We don't have the power of propaganda to boost our presence in the limelight, unlike certain other sports.

7 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Stands by for incoming.

I agree, but football is infinitely popular and tbf most football games these days are boring too. I often think people go because it’s an event rather than the match itself, the fact that 40,000 people would pay through the nose to watch something like Everton v Burnley is incredible when you think about it. 

1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I'm not so sure. You only have to watch a few big games from the 2000s on YouTube to see the difference in excitement. Admittedly, the defences weren't as structured, but I don't think that's the weapon required to attract new fans. We don't have the power of propaganda to boost our presence in the limelight, unlike certain other sports.

I think that's a bit of rose tinted glasses tbh mate

5 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Stands by for incoming.

I think there's an element of the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia there. I remember some utterly dour games in the era you mention, and conversely I've watched a few games this season that are right up there with any games I've ever watched. 

That said, on the whole the game does seem to be getting more and more attritional, and that's not what the average fan wants to watch. Certainly not the new fans that we are trying to attract. I don't have any answers but it's something that the powers that be should be having a look at.

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I imagined this was being said by Darth Vader to Peter Cushing in Star Wars.

If only he'd focussed on safe construction standards instead of distracting himself with RL banter, he'd have beaten the rebellion.

16 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I'm probably not the biggest Wigan fan, but even I feel a bit sad to see Jackson Hastings hitting the ball up, one-out, with a few hundred hardy souls watching on.

As a Red, it is despairing to see Jackson diminish so much. Gone is the wild free spirit that got us to the Grand Final two years ago. 

What has Wigan done to him and poor Biddy? 

And I swear over success has melted the average Wiganer. I mean 7,000 is light is it not?

Some of my Big United fans used to say when they were winning everything, they started only to feel emotional when they lost. They said that it was a shock, then a liberation to be ###### under Moyes et al and now they really appreciate a modicum of success under Ole. Maybe Wigan need a renovation like this.

Hastings needs to be in Aus now. Wigan will just re group and will be back. 

Archived