Jump to content

The Cornwall RLFC Thread


Recommended Posts

I don't know where people are getting some of the figures being bandied around from. 

I suspect people are pulling numbers out of the air

There are two or three coach hire 'comparison sites'. I did a quick 'for example' input and found coach companies who would take a part of 30-35 people from Leeds to Penryn and back in June 2022 for around £2000.

Interestingly, the cost was roughly the same as the two trips to Barrow and Workington which the same clubs will NOT have to do in 2022.

We either want Rugby to be national sport or we are happy for it to be grouped around the M62. We need to decide once and for all.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, DEANO said:

To be fair one of those clubs was planted in the top flight and ring fenced

So it works then. Thanks for the confirmation.

  • Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don't know where people are getting some of the figures being bandied around from. 

I suspect people are pulling numbers out of the air

There are two or three coach hire 'comparison sites'. I did a quick 'for example' input and found coach companies who would take a part of 30-35 people from Leeds to Penryn and back in June 2022 for around £2000.

Interestingly, the cost was roughly the same as the two trips to Barrow and Workington which the same clubs will NOT have to do in 2022.

We either want Rugby to be national sport or we are happy for it to be grouped around the M62. We need to decide once and for all.

 

As I say, don’t cut the clubs funding by 80% and then be surprised if they’re annoyed an extra expense they didn’t agree to is added to their budgets.

 

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

Lots of "people from up north" live in London too, and Nottingham and Southend... 

Sorry what's that got to do with Rugby in Cornwall, was making a point about been aware there is Rugby League fans in Cornwall keep your sarcastic remarks for somebody else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Devon Ram said:

What you all haven't taking into account is the number of people from up north living in Devon/Cornwall, i went to a Rebels v Sharks game a few years ago at Redruth & was surprised by amount of fans with team shirts on Leeds, Saints, Wolves even somebody stood next to me with a Batley top on yes i was polite to him Lol.

Think you’ll find an awful lot of northerners and Aussies in London. They don’t go the games down there

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Damien said:

I actually think as foreign clubs they are completely different cases. I can certainly understand any club's reservation when it comes to travel to France and Canada and the RFL placing conditions on their entrance to the league system when it comes to subsidising travel.

An English/UK league admitting an English team is quite different I feel and if people expect Cornwall to pay then it becomes a case of where do we stop? Should London pay for travel? Should Whitehaven? Its a nationwide league and should be open to all in England, with obvious caveats when it comes to meeting criteria. Anything else is a local league for local people stuff.

Each decision should be taken on its own merits. Cornwall were not a thing this year, and they want to be admitted next year. There is a cost associated with this decision that needs to be paid for. 

As part of the cost/benefit analysis this should have been factored in and it should be considered how it would be funded. It isn't an automatic yes because they will be based in England. 

If this was an established club working its way through the system and nowhere else to go, it would make it harder to reject, but as a brand new venture it should have a proposal that covers costs. Otherwise it could be seen as a reckless vanity project. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

Sorry what's that got to do with Rugby in Cornwall, was making a point about been aware there is Rugby League fans in Cornwall keep your sarcastic remarks for somebody else.

On holiday in Penzance a few years ago we had a flat on the sea front, just around the corner was the Navy Inn, called in for a drink on the Friday afternoon when we arrived and they advertised Sky Sports, asked the barmaid would they be showing the SL match that evening. Her reply was "too right, I'm from Leigh, will be other side of the bar watching it". That evening there were a good few in there showing a lot of interest.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don't know where people are getting some of the figures being bandied around from. 

I suspect people are pulling numbers out of the air

There are two or three coach hire 'comparison sites'. I did a quick 'for example' input and found coach companies who would take a part of 30-35 people from Leeds to Penryn and back in June 2022 for around £2000.

Interestingly, the cost was roughly the same as the two trips to Barrow and Workington which the same clubs will NOT have to do in 2022.

We either want Rugby to be national sport or we are happy for it to be grouped around the M62. We need to decide once and for all.

 

Did you factor in the accommodation and meals too, because surely your proposal isn't to do the round trip in 24hrs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Am I missing something here? 

How much is it to hire a coach for a day!? 

Basketball, lower division rugby union, motorsport, in fact virtually every other sport can cope. 

Devon Sharks recently played Hammersmith Hills Hoists  at home & the Hoists travelled to Newton Abbot by train from London & back in one day they found the money how ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Think you’ll find an awful lot of northerners and Aussies in London. They don’t go the games down there

I think you will find the London thing is down to them keep moving get a home like when they where at Fulham & they might get some of the lost fans back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

Sorry what's that got to do with Rugby in Cornwall, was making a point about been aware there is Rugby League fans in Cornwall keep your sarcastic remarks for somebody else.

It has everything to do with it, as I m sure you are aware. Relying on local "Northerners" to turn up just because it is RL has been assumed before, and not worked, as others have already said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Did you factor in the accommodation and meals too, because surely your proposal isn't to do the round trip in 24hrs?

Why not, i bet most teams go to the Skolars & back in a day.  only thing i would be asking Cornwall to do would be play on Saturday instead of Sunday to help teams & players due to work on Monday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

Why not, i bet most teams go to the Skolars & back in a day.  only thing i would be asking Cornwall to do would be play on Saturday instead of Sunday to help teams & players due to work on Monday.

 

Travelling to London is a touch easier than Cornwall 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

It has everything to do with it, as I m sure you are aware. Relying on local "Northerners" to turn up just because it is RL has been assumed before, and not worked, as others have already said.

if you read my post properly you would see i pointed out i was at a Rugby League game in Cornwall, so the interest is already there its up to the club to raise the profile to attract others to the game I WISH YOU RUGBY LEAGUE FANS WOULD STOP BEING SO NEGITIVE ALL THE TIME.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Exiled red said:

 

Travelling to London is a touch easier than Cornwall 

The only hard bit is from Exeter the rest from the North is motorway, trains plenty of direct from the North, take in the M25 & getting into North London then no difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Yes as it would for any club

We should do it more often then, I presume you agree.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Padge said:

We should do it more often then, I presume you agree.

I’d say if you do it for one you do it for all. Don’t forget also that cats never earned the right to be there in the first place

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

if you read my post properly you would see i pointed out i was at a Rugby League game in Cornwall, so the interest is already there its up to the club to raise the profile to attract others to the game I WISH YOU RUGBY LEAGUE FANS WOULD STOP BEING SO NEGITIVE ALL THE TIME.

Not being negative.  If you had read my posts properly you would see that I have said several times that I hope this is a long term success and I wish them well. 

My original question was about whether there was any evidence that there was an appetite for a RL team in Falmouth.

It is a RL forum and I think it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask, which others have now answered. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

Not being negative.  If you had read my posts properly you would see that I have said several times that I hope this is a long term success and I wish them well. 

My original question was about whether there was any evidence that there was an appetite for a RL team in Falmouth.

It is a RL forum and I think it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask, which others have now answered. 

I’ll answer it for you. There is NO appetite for rl in Cornwall 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The hybrid pitches are the future.

Grass in a lattice of astro turf so that the pitch keeps its strength in difficult conditions. I believe its at Twickenham and most premier league grounds now because it is good for drainage (its installation was also why top gear were able to play rugby with cars at Twickenham on the old pitch if you believe internet rumour).

We’ve got one at Siddal 

  • Like 2

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, DEANO said:

I’d say if you do it for one you do it for all. Don’t forget also that cats never earned the right to be there in the first place

They most certainly did earn the right to be there and have proven their worth.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DEANO said:

I’ll answer it for you. There is NO appetite for rl in Cornwall 

There was no appetite for RL in Toronto yet more people turned out for single games there than in much of the lower reaches of the Championship and League 1 combined.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...