Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Really not sure why but I haven't been less interested in home Ashes for ... well, I'm not sure I've ever been less interested.

I know it's me not the cricket because the England Test team are at least playing the game as positively as it's possible to do but I'm just not there yet.

Seems to have been just too much panto villain build up and not enough cricket.

I'm sure my mood will be different come Friday.

And, anyway, Yorks beat Derby.

All it'll take is for Warner to nick one early, burn an appeal (when he's as out as out can be) and then stump back to the pavilion. muttering obscenities.

Then every right-thinking person in the world will perk up.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

45 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Long time between drinks . In passing I do think Malan was given a bit of a rough deal by England 

Very much so and very much so.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

All it'll take is for Warner to nick one early, burn an appeal (when he's as out as out can be) and then stump back to the pavilion. muttering obscenities.

Then every right-thinking person in the world will perk up.

How many people remember that he was ‘ out ‘ caught behind down the leg side off the very first ball of the 2019 Ashes and we didn’t review , or barely appeal 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

And, anyway, Yorks beat Derby.

One of several pretty interesting county championship games in this round, along with Surrey chasing down 500+ to win after being 145 all out in their first innings, Notts snatching a draw after following on 400+ behind, Sussex and Worcs going into the final over with all 4 outcomes possible...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JonM said:

One of several pretty interesting county championship games in this round, along with Surrey chasing down 500+ to win after being 145 all out in their first innings, Notts snatching a draw after following on 400+ behind, Sussex and Worcs going into the final over with all 4 outcomes possible...

I think I read that included the slowest championship hundred ever by Dom Sibley 

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think I read that included the slowest championship hundred ever by Dom Sibley 

In terms of both minutes and balls. By some considerable margin in both cases.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I was there for one of the previous records, Jason Gallian for Lancs v Derbys at Blackpool in the 1990s, although I don't remember whether it was slowest by time or by balls, and I think there was a young Scottish lad who took the record a couple of years back. Gallian followed it up with a slow triple century also against Derbyshire a couple of years later.

Eve of the Ashes and though I try to avoid controversy on this board, Its 3-1 to Australia for me. Australia is a properly balanced side with both pace and spin. England by contrast relay heavily on the big guns to fire for one of Anderson or Broad to get a 7 fer or Root, Stokes or Bairstow to get a "daddy hundred".

Now it's perfectly possible for this to happen for England as it did at Headingley in 2019 but its a five match series coming up and such a performance is hard to repeat.

Australia have a domestic structure that allows for the production of a CHampion test team. England do not have such a structure, as evidenced by the dearth of spin options once Leach was injured.

Above all else Cricket is woven into Australian society across all classes in a way that in England it no longer is.

I would love to be proved wrong but tat's how I see it. An English defeat would bring Bazball into question which would be the wrong approach. Regardless of the result, England have to continue to play in a positive manner not just for crowd entertainment but to mask deficiencies in the line up.

Hopefully someone amongst the powers that be will take the long-term view and sort out the English domestic structure and widen the games base to include more of the population. I doubt it but we must live in hope.

As for Kent failing to win when setting a total of 500 my reaction on hearing the score was...

four-christmases-vince-vaughn.gif

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Was in the bookies yesterday , and the Aussies at 6-5 to win the test looks an absolute steal . We are going into the Test with 3 bowlers with doubts about their fitness and a spin bowler who has had to come out of test match retirement to replace Leachy .Can`t bring myself to put money on the Aussies , but those of you with stronger stomachs , steam in .....We desperately need to win the toss , bat , and post a big score to have any chance .

On annual leave today and just hoping for some real fireworks in the cricket.

Grew up in an era of absolutely abject England teams following on from the Botham era.

It was a miserable time as a fan (whatever the respect I had for the opposition) and despite them coming into this as underdogs, I am excited about the expected English approach.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

10 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Was in the bookies yesterday , and the Aussies at 6-5 to win the test looks an absolute steal . We are going into the Test with 3 bowlers with doubts about their fitness and a spin bowler who has had to come out of test match retirement to replace Leachy .Can`t bring myself to put money on the Aussies , but those of you with stronger stomachs , steam in .....We desperately need to win the toss , bat , and post a big score to have any chance .

Just been having a very similar conversation. The chat about Bazball distracts a bit from how on earth are we going to take twenty wickets. We need to bat first, post 1,000 runs, and then use 3.5 days to get them to play a dozen or so bad shots.

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just been having a very similar conversation. The chat about Bazball distracts a bit from how on earth are we going to take twenty wickets. We need to bat first, post 1,000 runs, and then use 3.5 days to get them to play a dozen or so bad shots.

Factor in some forecasted rain on Sunday and that time frame gets even slimmer.

17 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Factor in some forecasted rain on Sunday and that time frame gets even slimmer.

Have to get those 1,000 runs today then

Getting the feel of a good atmosphere over the airwaves.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Trying to… 6 runs an over at the moment!

Aggers was so excited, he's doubled his bet with Jim Maxwell - the stakes now stand at TWO Crunchie bars! :kolobok_unsure:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Getting the feel of a good atmosphere over the airwaves.

There’s that buzz and hum in the crowd with enthusiastic applause for every good stroke/boundary.

When the camera pans onto the crowd there’s that aspect of focus.

Its not what I associate with Edgbaston although it’s too early for the ale to take effect I guess and the songs to start in earnest.

45 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What do people think of these fields that Cummins is setting to restrict boundaries?

Feels like Crawley and Pope can keep things ticking over, milking the singles.

But are we scoring fast enough in good batting conditions?

Feels like the Aussies are playing for the draw, tbh. Really negative field.