Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

England are 145 for 1 at tea.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If the Aussies are going all defensive on a flat pitch, you can play relatively normally and score at 5 an over. No need for risks and you can still move the game forward.

If Root gets in, on this pitch and this field, he could score as many as he likes.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Pope's gone for 42.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Root caught behind... but it's a no ball!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Lucky lucky lad… 

… everything is now short from the Aussies.

It's the kind of luck the Aussies usually get, not us.

Also, Nathan Lyon has hobbled off with a calfular injury.

But Duckett's fallen two short of his century.

And I expected today to be a 50/50 mix of relentless Australian batting and rain! :kolobok_swoon:

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

It's the kind of luck the Aussies usually get, not us.

Also, Nathan Lyon has hobbled off with a calfular injury.

Aye. Nice for a change. 

They need to bat with a bit of sense here now. They’ve got themselves into a very good position despite all 3 batsmen having got themselves out. Brook was very lucky this last over too. 

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Aye. Nice for a change. 

They need to bat with a bit of sense here now. They’ve got themselves into a very good position despite all 3 batsmen having got themselves out. Brook was very lucky this last over too. 

Yep. This next hour is huge.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Root didn't capitalise on his luck.

Stokes joins Brooks - will he rein it in and settle the game down for a bit?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Could end up all out for 280 or 500.... just no idea where they are going to end up! 🤣

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

With Nathan Lyon crocked you would like to think the game was there for the taking but ...

If your an Australian bowler , the wickets flat and the sun shining all you need think to yourself is, Two wickets and Stuart Broad is in so England could go from 302-6 to 310 all out with the talentless tail. Watching Harry Brook expose his stumps and take a swipe at the bowling as if we are in the last over of a T20 match it does not inspire permanence or confidence.

But there is another factor to consider, England's bowlers will by the end of today have been on the field for all eight days in the series so far, Bowling is hard work as Angus Fraser said. You want to put your feet up and let the Batsmen keep the oppsition in the field When you have Bazballed your innings regardless of the score, your not out there too long and your bowlers have to back up again. It makes for an interesting dressing room with a split with the tired and weary bowling unit facing off against the freewheeling happy hookers in the batting unit.

No-one is against positivite attackjng Cricket but equally no-one wants to watch Stupid Cricket. This game will not be a draw and if England cannot achieve parity in the first innings then its not looking good

Rant Over.

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

If this tactic by Australia works, everyone will do it and the idea of "entertaining cricket" will disappear. England have to come with with a counter-strategy. Which should basically be to leave/duck until they get tired then hammer them around the park. But leaving is now a mortal sin.

Joe Root in particular should be the anchor around which others play. He's all-time world class and could milk these bowlers on a flat pitch at a run a ball.

When I played "Brian Lara Cricket" on the computer years ago, I figured out I could put all the fielders on the leg side, bowl short at the body and they'd hole out. There may be an occasional six, but I'd win. I stopped playing.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

If this tactic by Australia works, everyone will do it and the idea of "entertaining cricket" will disappear. England have to come with with a counter-strategy. Which should basically be to leave/duck until they get tired then hammer them around the park. But leaving is now a mortal sin.

Joe Root in particular should be the anchor around which others play. He's all-time world class and could milk these bowlers on a flat pitch at a run a ball.

When I played "Brian Lara Cricket" on the computer years ago, I figured out I could put all the fielders on the leg side, bowl short at the body and they'd hole out. There may be an occasional six, but I'd win. I stopped playing.

Brian Lara cricket was the daddy of all cricket computer games.

• Like 1

We’ve had a lot of success playing Bazball but the plain fact is we are being outsmarted by Australia in this series so far.

We’re so dogmatic about our approach that we are wasting our talents (particularly Root) and not making enough adjustments for the situation presented.

Its like watching an old dear driving her car into the swamp because that’s the way her satnav told her to go!

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

15 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

We’ve had a lot of success playing Bazball but the plain fact is we are being outsmarted by Australia in this series so far.

We’re so dogmatic about our approach that we are wasting our talents (particularly Root) and not making enough adjustments for the situation presented.

Its like watching an old dear driving her car into the swamp because that’s the way her satnav told her to go!

I'm not even that sure that it's Australia who are outsmarting England. Bazball, like any style of Cricket, can be played intelligently or stupidly. It isn't just biff bang wallop; it's also about disrupting the opposition's plans. Trying to hit every bouncer just encouraged the Aussies, because wickets were falling.

Smart Bazball would have been to start leaving the bouncers and forcing Australia to think up a Plan B (when their spinner was invalided out of the match) then press the attack again.

There were times in the first test where the Australians looked passive and a bit intimidated in the field, until they got their confidence from England's loose play.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

I'm not even that sure that it's Australia who are outsmarting England. Bazball, like any style of Cricket, can be played intelligently or stupidly. It isn't just biff bang wallop; it's also about disrupting the opposition's plans. Trying to hit every bouncer just encouraged the Aussies, because wickets were falling.

Smart Bazball would have been to start leaving the bouncers and forcing Australia to think up a Plan B (when their spinner was invalided out of the match) then press the attack again.

There were times in the first test where the Australians looked passive and a bit intimidated in the field, until they got their confidence from England's loose play.

They’re playing more intelligently so that is why I say we are being outsmarted as they are evolving tactically through the series whereas England are sticking rigidly to a plan.

If our big weakness is the lack of pace with ball in hand then you really don’t want to couple that with going on a hook and pull shot frenzy against short bowling leading to a tumbling of wickets.

Our only hope is making big scores and at times occupying the crease, but we seem unable to make that adjustment.

And as I write this another ridiculous shot given the situation leads to Bairstow going.

I'm so angry at this England performance.

• Like 2

Somehow we have managed to combine a toothless bowling attack with a long tail that doesn’t look like contributing much with the bat.

A really hopeless morning with some odd choices by the established players in the lineup in terms of shots.

Our only hope is the weather, just stop oil or a huge turnaround.