Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Line up for the 2024 T20 World Cup

May be an image of text that says "ICC MEN'S T20WC 2024 USA & WEST INDIES 2024 LINE-UP 2022 T20WC TOP 8 FINISH AUSTRALIA AMERICAS QUALIFIER ENGLAND CANADA INDIA NETHERLANDS ASIA QUALIFIER NEPAL NEW ZEALAND OMAN EAST PAKISTAN -PACIFIC QUALIFIER SOUTH AFRICA SRI LANKA PAPUA NEW GUINEA EUROPE QUALIFIER NEXT BEST ON T20I RANKINGS * IRELAND SCOTLAND AFRICA QUALIFIER AFGHANISTAN BANGLADESH NAMIBIA UGANDA ICC"

I read about Uganda qualifying against the odds in the group with Zimbabwe so congratulations to them.

I really fancy going to a big sports tournament of some kind as a holiday (not necessarily just to follow England).

This would be perfect but for the cost for me currently which I’ve priced up especially in terms of an organised one. 

• Like 1

Is anyone doing radio/streaming commentary on the England tour of the West Indies starting today?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Is anyone doing radio/streaming commentary on the England tour of the West Indies starting today?

It's on Talk Sport 2.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If you want to understand the current situation regarding the County Structure and the 💯 read this thread:

https://twitter.com/notthespinner/status/1732322201481687241

• Thanks 2

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Lancashire statement on the 💯

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjPFbVHAcps

Lancastrian ex-SKY commentator now singing a different tune about the 💯

https://twitter.com/BumbleCricket/status/1736394288735420725

• Thanks 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

5 minutes ago, JonM said:

Special bit of idiocy by Tom Curran there. What on earth could they expect to gain by appealing that?

How it is only a four game ban is beyond me. Drop kick him out of the tournament at the very least.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 2 weeks later...

England unbeaten all year so far.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

What are going to be the cricket highlights of this year?

I still feel non plussed about the IPL, Big Bash and the Hundred as I have no team to follow or support in any of them.

Is it a big year in the destiny of Test cricket after Steve Waugh’s recent comments?

I can dream about attending the T20 World Cup in the West Indies but I just can’t afford it really at the moment.

11 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

As someone who is heavily involved in junior cricket in Yorkshire, I take no pleasure from this; but Yorkshire CCC is in a right heap of trouble.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/jan/06/moral-and-financial-failure-yorkshire-to-allow-colin-graves-back-in-azeem-refiq

First Christmas in a very, very long time that I specifically requested no Yorkshire CCC stuff. The return of the poisonous Graves, and what it represents, is why.

Any further discussion will be over in politics.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2024 at 07:54, gingerjon said:

First Christmas in a very, very long time that I specifically requested no Yorkshire CCC stuff. The return of the poisonous Graves, and what it represents, is why.

Any further discussion will be over in politics.

And on it goes...  Rafiq is very busy on Twitter today, for those who care to plough through it all.

He's basically saying that bringing back Graves was the club's intention all along. In other words, they were never truly contrite.

The gloves are well and truly off.

How will this end?

I’m a Lancastrian but I take no pleasure in what is happening at Yorkshire.

You’d think the right move here would be to move on with a candidate that represents a new start.

Is Yorkshire really so difficult to run that another administrator from within cricket could not be found?

24 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is Yorkshire really so difficult to run that another administrator from within cricket could not be found?

The county owes Graves millions, I believe.

The Yorkshire Post, influential with the right type of people, has been running pro Graves faction stuff for years.

It's embarrassing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The county owes Graves millions, I believe.

The Yorkshire Post, influential with the right type of people, has been running pro Graves faction stuff for years.

It's embarrassing.

The Yorkshire Post is a slight misnomer. Its audience is Sunak territory, away from the old industrial heartlands. It is unashamedly right wing and has seemingly set out to destroy Rafiq.

Rafiq is now fighting back to ask "has nothing changed?" and I suspect I know the answer. 

Yorkshire owe Graves £15 million so he's basically got them in the palm of his hand. Without him they go bust.

Al Murad (I've used them by the way, they are ace) have tonight threatened to pull their sponsorship. Imagine the publicity?

What a mess.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...