Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Bizarrely It’s been reported Jimmy is unlikely to play for Lancs until June 

Given the weather we've been having, you might say that of the rest of the Lancashire squad too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Given the weather we've been having, you might say that of the rest of the Lancashire squad too.

Indeed , it really is depressing 

1 hour ago, lucky 7 said:

This is massive for the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68743980

Huge kudos to Ebony Rainford-Brent for shaking the cricket charity establishment out of their cosy do-nothing approach.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Sussex have a new Rugby League style shirt for the Vitality Blast and Royal London one-day Cup

https://sussexclubshop.co.uk/collections/replica-shirts

Loving the use of the Kookaburra ball in the championship, since sides can no longer rely on trendy medium paced trundlers to bowl sides out they are having to use their spinners more. i saw Matt Parkinson bowl 31 Overs for Kent on Sunday the day before, it was Kasey aldridge who was the only Somerset bowler with any additional zip that ruffled Kent's batting.

This is what English Cricket need,s either Bowlers with express pace or the ability to master reverse swing and spinners who can give it a rip. That's the way to win home and abroad.

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• 2 weeks later...

ECB announces eight counties to host professional women's teams from 2025 - BBC Sport

So, presumably:

South East Stars ---> Surrey

Southern Vipers ---> Hampshire

Western Storm ---> Somerset

Sunrisers ---> Essex

Northern Diamonds ---> Durham

Lancashire Thunder ---> Lancashire

The Blaze ---> Nottinghamshire

Central Sparks ---> Warwickshire

I wonder what team names they'll go with. Will they adopt the same name as the men's team, such as Hampshire Hawks, or will they keep part of their existing name and go with Hampshire Vipers?

On 05/04/2024 at 20:58, gingerjon said:

Huge kudos to Ebony Rainford-Brent for shaking the cricket charity establishment out of their cosy do-nothing approach.

The 16 all-weather cricket domes sounds very interesting. I would like to see what they're like and exactly where they're to be located.

Given the weather that we're likely to have (and are already having), we need this sort of progressive thinking. Covered grounds and more artificial surfaces (for football etc.) are essential. Otherwise the youngsters will just keep getting their matches postponed/cancelled, whether at school or in sat/sun leagues.

Below is an extract from a post on the White Rose cricket forum, he had just spent the day at Lords in the long room watching Middlesex v Yorkshire. Made me chuckle.

I spent the day in the Pavillion. I missed the disturbance. Tea and coffee was a tad pricey but the scones, jam and clotted cream were splendid. Some of the old fossils in the darkened rooms dotted about the Pavillion were asleep in armchairs and will remain there until the seasons end, when they’ll be put in cupboards to hibernate for the winter. Best sights were a pair of MCC socks, a discarded toupee and the extremely old bloke sat next to me who saw Bradman bat in 1948. Splendid value.

• Like 1