An Idea; Community Rugby League Day/Weekend

In light of today’s announcement that there’s a proper international weekend in June when England play the Combines Nations, I had a look at what else was on that weekend and it appears that all three leagues have a blank weekend, which is good news. 

I quite enjoy a Saturday afternoon during the summer months watching a game of amateur Rugby League in the sunshine (I hope) and I’ve had an idea, borrowed from football. ‘Non-League Day’ was first suggested in 2010 where on an international weekend where most of the the top three divisions of professional football pauses for a weekend, that football fans are encouraged to attend a non-league game. Some of the perceived benefits of this is that it brought much needed income to small clubs who, typically, run on a shoestring budget, it might encourage people to get involved with their local club some more and to encourage people to watch a game live that won’t clash with their team’s game or the live televised games. 

I’m proposing a similar venture within Rugby League on the weekend of the 17-19 June. I’m guessing, like in 2021, England v Combined Nations will be the Friday evening, leaving the Saturday and Sunday free. There’s no Super League, Championship or League One rugby that weekend, though the NCL have fixtures. I’ve scoured Google and I can’t see fixtures releases for the North West Mens League, Yorkshire Leagues and the regional leagues across the country but looking at their history, they all typically play in June, so there should be a full set of amateur fixtures for that weekend. 

Amateur Rugby League, like the sport of Rugby League in general, has suffered as a result of covid and getting back in their stride through the army of volunteers that work in that area, is vital for the game of Rugby League. While we attribute your Saints’, Wigan’s and Leeds’ with player development, if it wasn’t for clubs like Thatto Heath Crusaders, Wigan St Pats and Stanningley, amongst others, these players wouldn’t have got their foot on the first rung of the ladder. While £10 behind the bar on a couple of pints and a pie doesn’t seem like a lot, every penny is likely to go towards balls and kits so that the next James Roby, Sean O’Loughlin and Danny McGuire can take their first steps to stardom. 

Get yourself to a game that weekend and, if you can, spend a little bit of money. Firstly, you’re likely to see an enjoyable game, you’ll get a different experience to a Super League matchday, where you’re actually only a matter of feet from the tackles and skills on show, you’ll be helping the game of Rugby League and you might just enjoy a day outside in fresh air.

NCL Premier Division 18th June;

Egremont Rangers v Pilkington Recs

Leigh Miners Rangers v West Hull

Lock Lane v Siddal

Thatto Heath Crusaders v Hunslet Club Parkside

Thornhill Trojans v Rochdale Mayfield

York Acorn v Watch Brow Hornets 

NCL Division One - 18th June 

Featherstone Lions v Wigan St Pats

Kells v Ince Rose Bridge

Myron Warriors v Skirlaugh

Oulton Raiders v Milford

Saddleworth Rangers v Stanningley

West Bowling v Hull Dockers

NCL Division Two - 18th June

Barrow Island v Dewsbury Celtic

Beverley v Dewsbury Moor

Clock Face Miners v Bradford Dudley Hill

Crosfields v Heworth

Wigan St Jude’s v Normanton Knights

Woolston Rovers v Hunslet Warriors

NCL Division Three - 18th June

East Leeds v Bentley

Eastmoor Dragons v Seaton Rangers

Hensingham v Waterhead

Leigh East v Drighlington

Millom v Batley Boys

Oldham St Annes v Shaw Cross Sharks

38 minutes ago, Jughead said:

In light of today’s announcement that there’s a proper international weekend in June when England play the Combines Nations, I had a look at what else was on that weekend and it appears that all three leagues have a blank weekend, which is good news. 

I quite enjoy a Saturday afternoon during the summer months watching a game of amateur Rugby League in the sunshine (I hope) and I’ve had an idea, borrowed from football. ‘Non-League Day’ was first suggested in 2010 where on an international weekend where most of the the top three divisions of professional football pauses for a weekend, that football fans are encouraged to attend a non-league game. Some of the perceived benefits of this is that it brought much needed income to small clubs who, typically, run on a shoestring budget, it might encourage people to get involved with their local club some more and to encourage people to watch a game live that won’t clash with their team’s game or the live televised games. 

I’m proposing a similar venture within Rugby League on the weekend of the 17-19 June. I’m guessing, like in 2021, England v Combined Nations will be the Friday evening, leaving the Saturday and Sunday free. There’s no Super League, Championship or League One rugby that weekend, though the NCL have fixtures. I’ve scoured Google and I can’t see fixtures releases for the North West Mens League, Yorkshire Leagues and the regional leagues across the country but looking at their history, they all typically play in June, so there should be a full set of amateur fixtures for that weekend. 

Amateur Rugby League, like the sport of Rugby League in general, has suffered as a result of covid and getting back in their stride through the army of volunteers that work in that area, is vital for the game of Rugby League. While we attribute your Saints’, Wigan’s and Leeds’ with player development, if it wasn’t for clubs like Thatto Heath Crusaders, Wigan St Pats and Stanningley, amongst others, these players wouldn’t have got their foot on the first rung of the ladder. While £10 behind the bar on a couple of pints and a pie doesn’t seem like a lot, every penny is likely to go towards balls and kits so that the next James Roby, Sean O’Loughlin and Danny McGuire can take their first steps to stardom. 

Get yourself to a game that weekend and, if you can, spend a little bit of money. Firstly, you’re likely to see an enjoyable game, you’ll get a different experience to a Super League matchday, where you’re actually only a matter of feet from the tackles and skills on show, you’ll be helping the game of Rugby League and you might just enjoy a day outside in fresh air.

Lock Lane v Siddal

Kells v Ince Rose Bridge

Oulton Raiders v Milford

Beverley v Dewsbury Moor

Crosfields v Heworth

East Leeds v Bentley

Hensingham v Waterhead

Millom v Batley Boys

Great Idea Juggy, why can't all those on the RL payroll come up with something positive like this?

A really good and straightforward idea.

Even if not official, it would be pretty easy to build up on social media and the like.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, newbe said:

Dont forget the Southern Conference League / London League. They have produced quite a few S/L players.

I didn’t but from what I can see, their fixtures aren’t out yet. The NCL’s are at the minute but yes, every league this weekend should be highlighted. 

Just now, marklaspalmas said:

Good idea.

I think the word "amateur" in this sense is out-dated and redundant. Community or Non-league is a better description.

Yeah, I didn’t really consider giving it a proper name and I don’t particularly like what I titled it. Community Rugby League Day/Weekend is probably a better and less dated name. 

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Yeah, I didn’t really consider giving it a proper name and I don’t particularly like what I titled it. Community Rugby League Day/Weekend is probably a better and less dated name. 

Fair play. Good idea, eh? It'd help to bring together a sport, that despite its small size, seems to delight in subdividing itself into mutually exclusive subsections at times.

• Jughead changed the title to An Idea; Community Rugby League Day/Weekend

I really like it. Definitely think it's something that people should try and promote unofficially if the governing body have no interest. Things like posting on your own social profiles with hashtags etc/photos of clubs etc. If enough people got into it, it could generate some interest and grow in future years. If the internationals line up again, which is always hit and miss.

It's a great idea. Everyone visiting a community club and putting money behind the bar as well as promoting the game on social media. Could even take a friend or 2 who aren't normally RL fans. Professional clubs could help promote this idea on their social media also.

It would be a big boost for the community clubs financially and would also help promote them in their local areas

On 22/01/2022 at 13:19, Jughead said:

Lock Lane v Siddal

Kells v Ince Rose Bridge

Oulton Raiders v Milford

Beverley v Dewsbury Moor

Crosfields v Heworth

East Leeds v Bentley

Hensingham v Waterhead

Millom v Batley Boys

Top thinking 👏👍

Jughead for the RFL to replace some of the ***heads?

Being serious, I will join the majority who endorse this fine proposal.

Can I additionally suggest if SL wanted a good thematic round, then one devoted to the community game would be a good thing.

Maybe a couple of BARLA games paraded before the SL match? 

On 22/01/2022 at 19:26, zylya said:

I really like it. Definitely think it's something that people should try and promote unofficially if the governing body have no interest. 

Fairly certain that's how Non League Day in football started. It was, from memory, initially a lot of clubs using social media going, "Now that Manchester United aren't on the TV this weekend, why not come down to us for your football fix" and similar.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Fairly certain that's how Non League Day in football started. It was, from memory, initially a lot of clubs using social media going, "Now that Manchester United aren't on the TV this weekend, why not come down to us for your football fix" and similar.

A fellow-QPR fan had the idea when watching the superhoops play a pre-season game against non-league opposition. Punted the idea on Facebook and it took hold really quickly. It was individuals, clubs, leagues, county FAs, then professional clubs and leagues, before the FA belatedly arrived at the party. It's a great way to get some money into community clubs, and also remind people that live sport doesn't have to revolve around a handful of clubs playing at the top end.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Archived