Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

23 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Whilst I didn’t disagree with most of that, can we shift the narrative about the same teams please? Last few GFs have had .

2017 - Leeds vs Castleford

2018 - Wigan vs Warrington

2019 - Saints vs Salford

2020 - Saints vs Wigan

2021 - Saints vs Catalan

2022 - Saints vs Leeds

That’s 7 different sides in 6yrs - Saints only really the constant. Yep, only 3 of those sides have won the title but it’s not true it’s always the and sides in the final. 

Actually with the facts put in front of me you are correct. I think for most it just feels a bit that way . 

11 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

Actually with the facts put in front of me you are correct. I think for most it just feels a bit that way . 

But still only 4 winners , if CAS,Salford and Les Cats had won those games then it would be different , but they didn't , we need a new winner 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I seem to remember people being worried about Salford and Catalans not bringing many fans. If other people don't want the same old big teams (Saints, Wigan and Leeds) then are we pinning our hopes on a Wire Cas final? Unlikely based on this year!

More seriously what two teams do people think would increase the attendance? I can only think of Hull v Warrington. Did that get a good crowd in the Challenge Cup a few years back?

If the main concern is the attendance , then we need the same big 3/4 teams in the final , if the main concern is long term growth of the game we need new winners 

With the World Cup final in the very near future at the same venue. I’m wondering if that having any bearing. 2013 saw a 4K drop off from 2012

Work to be done for sure, but if we sell out the World Cup final that’ll more than compensate 2013 got 74k without England playing

59 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Whilst I didn’t disagree with most of that, can we shift the narrative about the same teams please? Last few GFs have had .

2017 - Leeds vs Castleford

2018 - Wigan vs Warrington

2019 - Saints vs Salford

2020 - Saints vs Wigan

2021 - Saints vs Catalan

2022 - Saints vs Leeds

That’s 7 different sides in 6yrs - Saints only really the constant. Yep, only 3 of those sides have won the title but it’s not true it’s always the and sides in the final. 

Narrative is a big thing I suppose. Even 2019, with relatively fresh teams, managed only a couple of thousand more than last night.

I agree with pointing out the "same teams" flaw, but, ultimately, if people aren't going then for whatever reason that is a major problem. I personally think its a bigger issue than "same teams".

13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

With the World Cup final in the very near future at the same venue. I’m wondering if that having any bearing. 2013 saw a 4K drop off from 2012

Work to be done for sure, but if we sell out the World Cup final that’ll more than compensate 2013 got 74k without England playing

True, but even a 4k increase yesterdag would still see us in the "fine" range according to @Dave T's quite good scale from earlier this week.

And its not like there isn't concerns about the world cup either.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Narrative is a big thing I suppose. Even 2019, with relatively fresh teams, managed only a couple of thousand more than last night.

I agree with pointing out the "same teams" flaw, but, ultimately, if people aren't going then for whatever reason that is a major problem. I personally think its a bigger issue than "same teams".

You went.

Did it feel like a big event? The kind that you'd go to next year even if Leeds aren't there?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I get bombarded from companies who offer corporate days , Cricket , RU, football even basketball and hockey and athletics . Never seen anything that includes RL . I’m sure the products there it’s just not being disseminated well . Is there a ticket bonus for amateur clubs ie a pound to the club for each ticket sold . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

You went.

Did it feel like a big event? The kind that you'd go to next year even if Leeds aren't there?

No, tbh. 

As I said last night it was all very basic, generic even, from the RFL controlled side. Nothing particularly wrong per se, but nothing exceptional either. Even the fireworks and flames were all stuff Leeds do for games at Headingley. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

I get bombarded from companies who offer corporate days , Cricket , RU, football even basketball and hockey and athletics . Never seen anything that includes RL . I’m sure the products there it’s just not being disseminated well . Is there a ticket bonus for amateur clubs ie a pound to the club for each ticket sold . 

Not sure, though it is something that has been used in the past I believe.

The upper tiers of the ends at the GF were more community focused as I understand.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

What is a crying shame is it could be so much more, a DJ as pre match entertainment is pathetic / Jerusalem is standard, do something pre match, do something at half time for gods sake.

It’s not rocket science. 

Huh ?

Edited by The Rocket

7 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

If you have bought tickets for CC finals, England matches etc etc over the past 12 months you will have had loads of emails about the corporate options for the WC.

Take it you have not logged on to buy WC tickets as there is a whole section on corporate options. 

1 hour ago, RL Tragic said:

No disrespect but I can’t see the Lady’s final adding 15k . The social groups I used to go with are very happy for the growth in that sector of the game but Aint gonna go out of there way to watch it . Get me a decent band singing and Ivan cleary or Latrel Mitchell playing and we would be up in droves . 

Maybe not, but if your club is in the Women's final and not men's you'd still have a hard core base that would go and support the club. 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

No, tbh. 

As I said last night it was all very basic, generic even, from the RFL controlled side. Nothing particularly wrong per se, but nothing exceptional either. Even the fireworks and flames were all stuff Leeds do for games at Headingley. 

I think the reason for a lower crowd than normal is a bit of a perfect storm. 

- Cost of living - the narrative around energy bills is challenging, and it is now that we are receiving emails about prices going up next week and people are thinking of turning heating on. 

- Saints 4th time on the bounce - there is a natural shift with regularity of the same teams. That can't be avoided. I often make the point that those first couple of Wembley trips for Wire saw us take seemingly the whole town (probably 25k plus in reality), whereas I expect it was closer to 15k the last time, even against Saints. 

- World Cup - theast WC year here saw Wire v Wigan attract only 64k without some of the other factors. 

- No entertainment - I was free and available to go last night, but holding my money for the World Cup. A decent event may have made me jump on a train and have a couple of beers and go. They made no effort to get me off my sofa. I've been to a few finals as neutral.

I'd be more worried if I was looking at that gate clueless as to how we could grow things, or wondering why there were so many empty seats. But this does ultimately fall to RL to fix - we need to do things differently to counter many of the above. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, glossop saint said:

Something has to take a hit in the short term. There doesn't seem to be the self confidence to accept that in the hope of long term gain.

True, but if two of the games biggest clubs can just edge over 60k, is there even the short term benefit?

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed.

I was going to joke that Alex Simmons would be doing the fanzone then I realised he actually was.

There was a fanzone?! 

Genuinely didn’t even know there was. I can’t say I saw it advertised pre-game or around the ground. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I think the reason for a lower crowd than normal is a bit of a perfect storm. 

- Cost of living - the narrative around energy bills is challenging, and it is now that we are receiving emails about prices going up next week and people are thinking of turning heating on. 

- Saints 4th time on the bounce - there is a natural shift with regularity of the same teams. That can't be avoided. I often make the point that those first couple of Wembley trips for Wire saw us take seemingly the whole town (probably 25k plus in reality), whereas I expect it was closer to 15k the last time, even against Saints. 

- World Cup - theast WC year here saw Wire v Wigan attract only 64k without some of the other factors. 

- No entertainment - I was free and available to go last night, but holding my money for the World Cup. A decent event may have made me jump on a train and have a couple of beers and go. They made no effort to get me off my sofa. I've been to a few finals as neutral.

I'd be more worried if I was looking at that gate clueless as to how we could grow things, or wondering why there were so many empty seats. But this does ultimately fall to RL to fix - we need to do things differently to counter many of the above. 

I agree, at least it couldn't be more generic and there is definitely room for improvement. That said, how does RL get around the cost of living crisis I'm not sure. I also think we can risk talking ourselves into that as an excuse far too easily, but perhaps that is for another thread.

I was actually pretty shocked at how basic it was. A few flags, some flame things and a person signing Jerusalem; we've had the same at Headingley for random league games. Aside from being at Old Trafford, nothing felt intrinsically special last night.

7 minutes ago, Jughead said:

There was a fanzone?! 

Genuinely didn’t even know there was. I can’t say I saw it advertised pre-game or around the ground. 

I only saw it on an email, i presume it was by the north west corner as there was nothing at our side at all?

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

But still only 4 winners , if CAS,Salford and Les Cats had won those games then it would be different , but they didn't , we need a new winner 

You cant make a team win a sport to spread out the wins to keep people happy - the whole point of sport is to see who is the best team.

• Like 1