Jump to content

Football/Championship Manager


Recommended Posts

I apologise if this has been mentioned before but does anyone still play Football Manager and is it still addictive. I used too play Championship Manager at first and it was addictive for me, if i was on a bad run i used to say “right I’ll have one more game”. Then it was “I’ll stay on it until i win a match”,  time would fly and id think id only been on it an hour but itd been 5hrs my Ex used to check to see if i was still alive. The Ex(we didn’t split up because of the game) used to say “I’d be mumbling In my sleep about the game and the formation i was going to play”. I do have to admit i would’ve sooner stayed in playing the game than having to go out with her family. I think i must’ve stopped playing football manager in the early 2000’s when they brought training training in to the game, i couldn’t be bothered with all that hassle.

I was a 25/30yr old armchair Football Manager Fan, or as my lad says “a saddo” but i enjoyed it at the time. I don’t know what FM is like nowadays but i have been tempted to have a look, or even see if there is a football manager podcast. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I apologise if this has been mentioned before but does anyone still play Football Manager and is it still addictive. I used too play Championship Manager at first and it was addictive for me, if i was on a bad run i used to say “right I’ll have one more game”. Then it was “I’ll stay on it until i win a match”,  time would fly and id think id only been on it an hour but itd been 5hrs my Ex used to check to see if i was still alive. The Ex(we didn’t split up because of the game) used to say “I’d be mumbling In my sleep about the game and the formation i was going to play”. I do have to admit i would’ve sooner stayed in playing the game than having to go out with her family. I think i must’ve stopped playing football manager in the early 2000’s when they brought training training in to the game, i couldn’t be bothered with all that hassle.

I was a 25/30yr old armchair Football Manager Fan, or as my lad says “a saddo” but i enjoyed it at the time. I don’t know what FM is like nowadays but i have been tempted to have a look, or even see if there is a football manager podcast. 

Yeah I used to love it and it was the same for me the more involved the game became I t wasn’t for me. I have loaded the odd football manager game onto my phone although still good not quite as addictive as they used to be. Now you’ve reminded me I my go and get the latest one and see what it’s like. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Used to play it on a quiet night shift.... took Oldham to being the kings of Europe.  

There may of been some mild cheating involved....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing compared to Ultimate Soccer Manager 98!

I did play Championship Manager games, but like so many games nowadays it would take less time to actually manage a top flight club than to play it.

On a slightly separate note, does anybody remember the RL Manager game where they included line outs as a statistic?

Edited by Maximus Decimus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/02/2022 at 23:35, Maximus Decimus said:

Nothing compared to Ultimate Soccer Manager 98!

I did play Championship Manager games, but like so many games nowadays it would take less time to actually manage a top flight club than to play it.

On a slightly separate note, does anybody remember the RL Manager game where they included line outs as a statistic?

RL manager, is that the game were you could see players training through the window. You’d receive letters off fans. You could also drink tea with you finger, and play with those ball things on your desk. Then at some point it would freeze ?. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Josef K said:

RL manager, is that the game were you could see players training through the window. You’d receive letters off fans. You could also drink tea with you finger, and play with those ball things on your desk. Then at some point it would freeze ?. 

I'm not sure, IIRC it was called Super League manager and I don't think k was that fancy. I just remember they included lineouts and shockingly unrealistic scores like 57-39.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been a Football Manager game lover right back to the early games on the Spectrum (which were pretty dire).

As a commuter I last played a regular one about 5 or 6 years ago on the mobile and took a local non league team all the way to European glory.

Don’t think I could play one now due to all the depth involved unless I found myself with a hell of a lot of time to kill!


 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/02/2022 at 13:02, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve been a Football Manager game lover right back to the early games on the Spectrum (which were pretty dire).

As a commuter I last played a regular one about 5 or 6 years ago on the mobile and took a local non league team all the way to European glory.

Don’t think I could play one now due to all the depth involved unless I found myself with a hell of a lot of time to kill!


 

Spot on.  Too much depth and time taken now.  Life was much simpler with ZX81.  Spectrum added some nice to handle complexity. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/02/2022 at 06:39, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm not sure, IIRC it was called Super League manager and I don't think k was that fancy. I just remember they included lineouts and shockingly unrealistic scores like 57-39.

Yes it was called super league manager was on the Amiga. Also was a game called Wembley rugby league which seemed brilliant at the time but now looks terrible haha. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Punter said:

Yes it was called super league manager was on the Amiga. Also was a game called Wembley rugby league which seemed brilliant at the time but now looks terrible haha. 

Still probably the best RL game I've played!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/02/2022 at 21:34, Charlie RL said:

Spot on.  Too much depth and time taken now.  Life was much simpler with ZX81.  Spectrum added some nice to handle complexity. 

Had Football Manager on cassette and you could break into the code by pausing it and then change the team and player names to ones you actually wanted.

I really was a fun and happening child.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...